• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Discussion: Submission is a condition of the heart

alit53 said:
Michelle,

The third reason falls squarely in our times. The more opportunities exist for women due to enlightenment, education, technology and material blessing, the greater the surrender when our Beloved asks us to lay it all down.

I agree with all your points, but not sure about this third one. I mean we are much more entertained and educated; however, I think some of this trips us up. These are the differences I was referring to in regards to "women of old" in the Bible. We are relieved of the drudgery of housework due to modern appliances and can wind down with television or Facebook, but sometimes those things take us away from our husband, too. It is like Scripture says about it being harder for a rich man to surrender than a poor man. Biblical women were brought up to be submissive, so it was already expected of them since they were girls. For many of us on this site, the first step is clearing our brains of what we were taught since birth.

We actually agree. The more opportunities, the more traps, and that applies to men as well. To choose submission when precious few women do, while being bombarded continually with the message that it is passe, that, according to God's Word is of "great price."

One other thing I would like to toss out there for your consideration, ( and I am soooo enjoying this discussion, btw, :) ) and that is the concept of looking backwards through several cultural prisms in order to create our paradigm of submission. We start our look back through time and can conclude that if we were just like pioneer women, or Victorian women, or Southern women, or the sturdy women of the Dark Ages, or, fill in the blank, then we'd have this submission thang nailed. And while there are certainly truths to be taken from each era or culture, or from the lives of women like Jeanne Guyon, the bottom line is that our timeless example of submission is Yeshua Himself. No one ever, in the history of the planet, did it better, and as saints on this side of Calvary, we can look to heaven with confidence that "help is on the way" if we ask for it and yield to it. :idea:

alit53 said:
We start our look back through time and can conclude that if we were just like pioneer women, or Victorian women, or Southern women, or the sturdy women of the Dark Ages, or, fill in the blank, then we'd have this submission thang nailed. :

To be fair on those women, they did not have any choice but to be submissive, their husbands owned them. I would be submissive too if I thought I could be locked up, sent to an asylum or constantly beaten.

No, you are right, the past is not the best place to find examples of pressureless submission.

B

Ok like here is my thought...Peter told us that beauty is a matter of a woman having a gentle and quiet spirit which is in God's eye precious. Should not a man get to know a wmn to see if she has that before joining her? Ive seen a lot of men in, well lets just say with a loud, talkative, & controlling wmn & then they go a complaining. Well i wonder why pick a wmn in the first place who lacks a gentle and quiet spirit? Me thinks a man who does that is not so very smart to begin with and he is getting what he asked for. The wmn I know that are loud, always talking, & crass dont seem to hve a hrt for God. The hrt is shown in whether or not they have that quiet and gentle spirit.

Melody,

I couldn't agree with you more. However, there are women who are talkative and loud yet still have that inner gentle spirit. G-d dosen't change our personalities. I do not think that a woman should have the authority over a man though. A woman is supposed to be in submission. I think that too many woman see submission as a dirty thing. Our culture as a whole has taken and made our little girls into boys and our little boys into girls. I know that since I have no children of my own I cannot say what I would or wouldn't do as a whole. However, I have a problem with little boys playing with Barbie while our little girls are now playing with G I Joe. Our culture doesn't hold a value in the things the Bible has instructed us on as far as our roles go.

Liz

alit53 said:
W ( and I am soooo enjoying this discussion, btw, :) ) [/quote

Me, too. I'm glad so many ladies are having an input. The more things brought up is food for thought. My husband said that he is my measuring stick for submission. If I'm not doing enough or too much of it, he'll let me know. :lol:

Back