• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Divorce, Remarriage, and Adultery in the NT

PolyPride

Matthew 19:9
9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Mark 10:11-12
11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

Luke 16:18
18 “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Are these 3 passages in conflict with each other when it comes to adultery and remarriage? I ask because only Matthew 19:9 provides a condition of when a divorce and remarriage would not be adultery. The other 2 passages do not mention this condition and would imply that any remarriage is adultery.

Too tired to launch into yet another learned discussion on this topic. Seems it has been done elsewhere. But ...

Have you ever coveted? Been forgiven and moved on? How about being disrespectful to your parents? When you read Exodus 20, is there a particularly long explanation of the 7th commandment? Perhaps a big shining halo that glows off of the page? Angelic choirs that burst into song when it is read?

So what makes the 7th more of a big deal than the 5th or 10th? It puzzles me!

No sarcasm is intended. This is just a set of questions that has been in my mind for some time. I don't understand why we fixate on the 7th commandment and argue it in it's minutiae to death.

I'll bet that God has put it in each of our hearts to know whether we are dealing honorably or treacherously with a woman.

Further, if we'll take time to become acquainted with her and her situation before rushing into commitment, we can probably sense whether she is truly free, or whether she has dealt treacherously with a previous man.

Finally, if we will then wait on God, I'll bet that He will speak into our hearts and say either, "Go forward" or "Retreat!" (Might use human acquaintances as part of that process!)

Back