• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Documentaries

FascinatingLady

Female
Today I have been contacted by both psgfilms.com & barcroftproductions.com regarding a documentary they are working on. Has this happened to anybody else? Should I decline? Is this an unknown danger of BF lifestyle? Would it be inappropriate to tell them about this group and about meetings and retreats? Barcroft Productions said they were specifically looking to talk to Christian families. We have only been active talking about this between ny husband and I for 3 weeks, so I am a little shocked that we are getting so many invites. We got one a week or two ago as well, but didn't really give it much thought. Looks like it was from a lady at PSG. So any advice on what to do? How do we handle this?

Speaking for myself, I would not for the wide world invite anyone to point a camera at me. Once on film, the editing team has the option of taking whatever rational, sane and boring thing I was saying, and doctoring it so that I am making a public confession of baby eating. My father was misquoted by a newspaper once; they quoted the description of his favorite Star Trek episode with the title of another episode that they had been discussing. And then for weeks afterwards all the turbo nerds that read the article found their way to him to correct him on his grievous error. For one instance of carelessness by a journalist, my father had to give a dozen explanations. And that's just Star Trek!

I don't even want to know what that looks like related to poly. But like I said, that's just speaking for myself.

Live long and prosper.

I hear you. This one lady in the UK wants to do a documentary for MTV. I can give anybody the email address if they are interested in talking about polygamy for the documentary.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

And speaking for Biblical Families, it's not necessary. We get media opportunities on a regular basis, and we decline most of them, have done some small ones, though a day may be coming for the right high-visibility one again. We do not want them at retreats, that wouldn't work for most people attending, and would distract from the purpose. I'd strongly advise any family considering media involvement to wait: until there plural marriages are solid (at least 5 years), an have no younger children who are not free to choose to participate themselves or not.
While the plural reality shows and documentaries may be helping raise awareness (if not yet acceptance), I don't think they have done much for the families involved.

My 2 cents: what'd be cool would be a new Big Love with a Christian non-Mormon family. Lot's of fun craziness like in that show, but let the drama be centered around everyone learning to grow much bigger (relationally, spiritually) than they were before. Hallmark Biblical Big Love. Fiction is more fun. :) Anyone got $50M and industry connections?

I agree with Nathan that there are many reasons to just refuse.

However if you did decide to do it, considering the risk of misrepresentation, I'd get them to sign a firm legal contract that you had to view and approve the final result, if you did not approve the final result than all scenes involving your family must be deleted, with a large financial penalty if this did not occur. I expect most wouldn't be willing to sign such an agreement, but that's fine. They're also free to just walk away.

Certainly it would be tempting to get one's 15 minutes in the sun, but these people are aligned very closely with spiritual forces that fear and despise what we believe and represent. I can't imagine anything good coming out of it but who knows, God can use anything and at some point He's going to broadcast the truth just so that no one has any excuses when the judgment comes.

I haven't had cable etc. for so many years. I haven't seen a single episode of any of these shows such as Five Wives or Sister Wives. It would be strange to be on TV when our family is so opposed to subscribing to it. I don't know about Big Loves. I do know PSG said they were looking for Christians though. It just feels to me like rushing things since our story would likely take several years to unfold. Don't want to speed date just so they get the story they want.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

I am curious, FL, how do you suppose they got your contact information?

I went through the whole process of phone interviews, Skype interviews, and preliminary legal discussions for a news magazine show only to ultimately be looking at a contract that was heavily one-sided (in favor of their being able to make any use they wanted of the footage and my waiving basically all rights) and talking to a lawyer that wouldn't budge. End of discussion. Don't expect to get any kind of creative approval from any show big enough to be worth appearing on.

On the other hand, if you're into extreme sports and the thrills of extreme risk.... ;)

Back