• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Does sexual immorality break the lifetime marriage bond of two believers given in Romans 7:1-3 and 1 Corinthians 7:39.

elkanahtyler

Male
I still don't see a Biblical God inspired New Testament reason for sexual immorality to break the lifetime marriage bond of two believers given in Romans 7:1-3 and 1 Corinthians 7:39. The way I understand Matthew 5:32 and 19:9 is that it is about a man disobeying Jesus Word in Matthew 19:6 and 1 Corinthians 7:11b to not separate a husband and wife. Many fail to note that it is adultery to marry the woman divorced for adultery in Matthew 5:32 and 19:9 because she is still bound to the husband who divorced her for adultery. And according to Mark 10:11,12 the man who divorces his wife and marries another woman is a man who commits adultery. I still do not see a New Testament Scripture that declares that sexual immorality breaks the marital bond given in Romans 7 and 1 Corinthians 7. I understand that if one's s marital partner becomes sexually immoral one should do 2 Timothy 2:24-26, Matthew 18:15-17 and 1 Corinthians 5.
I believe there are many unrepentant believing polygynists out there who thought they ended their marriage when they divorced their believing mate for sexual immorality, and then went on an married another believer while still maritally bound to their exmate according to Romans 7:1-3 & 1 Corinthians 7:39 They have not repented of their disobedience to Jesus in Matthew 19:6; Mark 10 and 1 Corinthians 7:11b when they separated from their mates. Such a repentant believing husband finds himself maritally bound to both his ex and his present wife, while the divorced believing wife who has gone on and married another needs to repent by leaving the new husband and going back to the husband of her divorce.

A family member of mine was dating a woman who divorced her husband because he had an "affair."

Thankfully, my family member came to a similar conclusion that she ought not have divorced her husband, and it would have been adultery to take her. It certainly is strange how this more Biblical view of marriage changes whose side you are on in domestic affairs. (Pun partially intended)

A family member of mine was dating a woman who divorced her husband because he had an "affair."

Thankfully, my family member came to a similar conclusion that she ought not have divorced her husband, and it would have been adultery to take her. It certainly is strange how this more Biblical view of marriage changes whose side you are on in domestic affairs. (Pun partially intended)
“Affair” would only count if he had sex with a engaged or married woman. If he had sex with a virgin - then he’s obligated to marry her.

What about if he has sex with a prostitute (non virgin but also never married)? Per scripture in the New Testament - a Christian man should never become one flesh with a prostitute. I assume sleeping with a prostitute could be grounds for a divorce for the wife against her husband.

the divorced believing wife who has gone on and married another needs to repent by leaving the new husband and going back to the husband of her divorce.

What you suggest is abomination before YAH

Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that [is] abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee [for] an inheritance. — Deuteronomy 24:4 KJV

Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that [is] abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee [for] an inheritance. — Deuteronomy 24:4 KJV

But is this the same under the New Covenant? Is not her new 'husband' really an adulterous affair masquerading as marriage?

But is this the same under the New Covenant?
Yes...
And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife. - 1Co 7:10-11 KJV

Is not her new 'husband' really an adulterous affair masquerading as marriage?
Yes

And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife. - 1Co 7:10-11 KJV
The rule is for believers. They shouldn’t divorce. And true believers won’t.
But divorce still happens and I believe that there is, on some level, grace. (Btw: putting away is kicking a woman out without giving her a bill of divorcement, a true problem. That is adultery if another man marries her.)
I don’t believe that Yah expects a woman to remain alone for the rest of her life in All circumstances.

Agreed, I am going from the original post which refers to believers.

But divorce still happens and I believe that there is, on some level, grace. (Btw: putting away is kicking a woman out without giving her a bill of divorcement, a true problem. That is adultery if another man marries her.)
 Indeed

I don’t believe that Yah expects a woman to remain alone for the rest of her life in All circumstances.
Having to deal with real life circumstances, there are definitely situations wherein it is untenable for a woman to remain, such as violence, however, there are cases where the woman has simply been influenced by her mother or the worldly mindset etc. Also there are men who divorce women frivolously. There are also those who got married for "papers", and many other seemingly grey area situations.
We, with our personal emotional connections see things one way, Yah does not see things from our perspective, all we can do, as believers, is repent, pray, pray for, intercede for, and hope for the grace and mercy for anyone caught in this, remembering that Christ is still alive and making intercession for all of us.

In all things we should seek to be led by the 'holy spirit'

I don't think it gets rid of the marriage. You are married to that person for life and you can't divorce him/her and get another wife even if you had to divorce them. Before marriage, you don't have that bond but having sex before marriage is wrong and sinful cause you don't have that bond yet.

"A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, as long as he belongs to the Lord." - 1 Cor 7:39

The 'putting away' is a reference to Christ's comments on the matter; and it is clear in both the original language and the context that He is talking about divorce proper.

"A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, as long as he belongs to the Lord." - 1 Cor 7:39

The 'putting away' is a reference to Christ's comments on the matter; and it is clear in both the original language and the context that He is talking about divorce proper.
I cannot accept that Yah truly intends for women to be condemned to absolute worst case scenarios. Something has to have been lost in the process.

I know that the word ‘abuse’ gets totally misused in our Jezabelish society, but that isn’t a reason for a strictly legalistic stance on this.

Why is nobody mentioning case when man leaves his wife? As victim she is free. He has broken marriage pact, so she can't be bound anymore.
She is not free without a certificate of divorce.

She is not free without a certificate of divorce.
It is basic aspect of justice that victim shouldn't be punished. Woman throw of out house without valid certificate and without sexual indecency is victim.

And you can't punish victim (her) by forbidding new marriage. Ideal case is restoration of their marriage, but if her husband utterly refuses? He is who is commiting sin.

I doubt that Lord's will for her is being totally disregarded and without love.

It is basic aspect of justice that victim shouldn't be punished. Woman throw of out house without valid certificate and without sexual indecency is victim. And you can't punish victim (her) by forbidding new marriage. Ideal case is restoration of their marriage, but if her husband utterly refuses? He is who is commiting sin.

I doubt that Lord's will for her is being totally disregarded and without love.
Now that we have hand-held computers that can hold hundreds of thousands of pages, why don’t you go ahead and help Yah out by rewriting His Word according to how it should have been written.

Now that we have hand-held computers that can hold hundreds of thousands of pages, why don’t you go ahead and help Yah out by rewriting His Word according to how it should have been written.
No divorce is valid without proper certificate of divorce. We both agree here.

Imagine you are judge. Husband throws his wife out without proper certificate of divorce and has not interest im taking her back. She hasn't done anything improper sexually. Let's says she is bad cook.

Is above situation impossible? Do you truly think what nobody ever will do this or hasn't already done.

What is your judgement?

Will you order monetary fine or physical punishment? Do you think this will repair situation?

It is probable that husband hates wife, so return to previous situation, althought desirable, isn't possible.

My judgement is based on contract. Marriage is covenant which is special type of contract which includes spilling of blood and self-maledictory oath*. Since husband has broken covenant, wife is innocent. Therefore she should suffer no penalty and is allowed to find another man.

If employer stops paying employee and employee finds another job, who is at fault? Employer of course, because stopping payment breaks contract which makes employee free. Both sides must keep their obligations for contract to be valid.

And again Jesus backs my position. Read very carefully:
Matthew 5:32: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Key words are bold. Wife is object in sentence, so she isn't cause. Who is cause of sin? Her husband of course. He has left her without sex which forced her to find replacement. Notice that Jesus isn't expecting celibacy from wife. Is it logical and obvious that people will satisfy their needs.

Who it to suffer punishement for adultery and illegal divorce? Husband which caused whole issue. It would be insane that wife is punished for receiving illegal divorce and husband avoiding punishment for doing sin. She is free and innocent.

@steve, you would, please, next time actually read what Bible says and think a little about that? We had similar situation regarding interest rate in another thread.

*For curious Gary North has written a lot about covenant structure.

@steve, you would, please, next time actually read what Bible says and think a little about that? We had similar situation regarding interest rate in another thread.
You can stop with the snarkyness.
I know full well what it says, and it doesn’t say what either of us want it to state in English.

“Affair” would only count if he had sex with a engaged or married woman. If he had sex with a virgin - then he’s obligated to marry her.

What about if he has sex with a prostitute (non virgin but also never married)? Per scripture in the New Testament - a Christian man should never become one flesh with a prostitute. I assume sleeping with a prostitute could be grounds for a divorce for the wife against her husband.
Lol, no!!!!!! Don’t open this can of worms! I don’t have time for long debates right now!

Lol, no!!!!!! Don’t open this can of worms! I don’t have time for long debates right now!
Fornicators do not enter the kingdom of heaven. That’s mentioned at least twice in the New Testament. If a man takes a woman’s virginity - he makes things right by marrying her. However, sleeping with a prostitute means she’s not a virgin - therefore - it’s fornication. Fornicating with a man’s wife is even worse.

Back