• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Doug Wilson admits Polygamy is not sinful

NS4Liberty

Male
I was listening to this seminar on marriage by Doug Wilson when he wanted to use Exodus 21:10-11. The video should start at the right point, but if not it's about an hour and 1 minutes into the video. He took 2 minutes to jump through all the normal hoops to get around polygamy until he came to the missionary scenario, where he says clearly the husband and wives can convert and not have to get divorced. The professor who told my class polygamy is not explicitly outlawed in the Bible personally knows and shares a lot of the same beliefs as Doug, so it makes sense they would come to the same basic conclusion.

Wilson seems like one of the more faithful "famous pastors".

I have a couple of books by Wilson, and note that in his book "Fidelity", he concedes that polygyny is marriage (though he considers it to be an inferior form of marriage that resulted from the Fall). What he says in that book (as I recall) is fairly consistent with what he says here.

I don't think he goes nearly far enough. I do appreciate that he is honest enough to admit that polygamy is marriage, not adultery. That puts him way ahead of most evangelical pastors.

He is also better on the issue of Patriarchy than most.

I don't think he goes far enough on either patriarchy or polygyny.

I liked some of the audios of Doug Wilson that I overheard. In one he was telling a nephew not to be a "pliable goober" which cracked me up. His point is women instinctively want a leader....and a man being a follower (especially of her) is off putting, if even on a sub conscious level.

Doug is a hoot. I was kicked out of the women’s “theologically diverse” bible study for having an icon in the background of a picture. I guess they meant different flavors of Reform as being diverse?

I haven’t listened in awhile but I enjoyed the Christ Church podcasts.

Doug is a hoot. I was kicked out of the women’s “theologically diverse” bible study for having an icon in the background of a picture. I guess they meant different flavors of Reform as being diverse?

I haven’t listened in awhile but I enjoyed the Christ Church podcasts.
Theological diversity includes Reformed churches and Presbyterian churches.

If you are very generous,.you might include Reformed Baptists (like Bunyan and Spurgeon) and Reformed Congregational (like Jonathan Edwards), possibly even Calvinist Methodists like George Whitfield (but not those Wesley boys). I might even dare to include a few Calvinist Anglicans (like JC Ryle). Even Martin Luther might be ok. 😉

Speaking of Calvinistic Methodists, we must never overlook pur own dear Martin Madan.

he says clearly the husband and wives can convert and not have to get divorced

One can take a 'monogamy only and polygamy is wrong' approach and still come to his conclusion based on 1 Cor 7, "Each one should remain in the situation he was in when he was called."

Back