• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Education for girls and women

SerenaJoy82

Female
I wanted to branch out of another thread and address the topic of education girls and women. What type of education should we be providing to our daughters? Should they be encouraged to pursue possible higher education or learning a trade? Should we even bother to teach them at all? Do women really need education or even to be literate? Does a woman with education make for a less suitable wife? I am not going to immediately comment but will be reading responses closely.

Whatever she wants to do. Does she want to work as a vet? Fine. In a library? Fine. Missionary? Fine. Plumber? Fine.
IF she gets married (there are no guarantees she will), then any skills she has learned beforehand will only be more helpful for them as a family.

Do women really need education or even to be literate? Does a woman with education make for a less suitable wife?
These are highly concerning statements. Of course women need to be literate! Imagine if I wasn't literate, I wouldn't be able to be on here and support other women, I wouldn't be able to read the mail, pay the bills, organise future events, or learn anything helpful. How on earth would I educate my children? It makes me a far better mother and wife, no question.

Whatever she wants to do. Does she want to work as a vet? Fine. In a library? Fine. Missionary? Fine. Plumber? Fine.
IF she gets married (there are no guarantees she will), then any skills she has learned beforehand will only be more helpful for them as a family.

These are highly concerning statements. Of course women need to be literate! Imagine if I wasn't literate, I wouldn't be able to be on here and support other women, I wouldn't be able to read the mail, pay the bills, organise future events, or learn anything helpful. How on earth would I educate my children? It makes me a far better mother and wife, no question.

I just wanted to add that those are not my beliefs, but questions asked to allow others to offer their own input and explain why or why not.

Also, I'm pretty sure that in most countries it's illegal not to educate your children of any gender. At least it is here.

We are quite reasonable people on this site.
We have added polygyny to normal lifestyles.

Just in case anybody wonders.

Also, I'm pretty sure that in most countries it's illegal not to educate your children of any gender. At least it is here.
There are people who have abused homeschooling to the point that their children are not very educated. Not any that I am aware of in this group.
Each state has different laws.

I learned much more actually working at the job that I am doing, then in when I was studying it from a book. There are many paths to an education. It isn't always the formal setting either. Maybe their education is taking care of the home, or preparing meals, or managing finances, or taking care of children.

Oh boy! I grew up in a church that was part of the "Hyles cult". My youth pastor graduated from HAC, and he was great, but Jack Hyles was revered in nearly an idolatrous way.
I will agree wholeheartedly about Hyles being an idol. I have a few friends who went to Pensacola Christian College... scary place.

I agree FH2. Mothers and wives need to be educated so they can support their family in worst case scenarios, so they can use critical thinking skills, so they can converse intelligently, teach children, etc. So many reasons.

However I will say, from experience, that girls need to be wise before they head off to college and get in debt for a degree that won't pay for itself. College debt cripples a family's finances. Going to college is fine for girls, but someone needs to tell them that they can't have it all. Career, husband, and babies is difficult all at one time. Something's gotta give.

What is wrong with Pensacola? My husband did a homeschooling program through the academy. He said he liked it as a kid.
Abeka is a good curriculum in the areas of reading and math, but the rest of it is subpar academics, the college recycles the high school material for many of their classes. PCC operates on an environment of legalism and fear as far as the " rules" go. I understand having rules against sexual immorality, drinking, smoking, lying, stealing and cheating, every Christian college has that in their honour code. PCC goes so far as to forbid students from attending any local churches, students must attend the one on campus. If a male students hair is below a certain length, they get demerits. Female students are required to wear dresses and skirts, of which is reasonable for on campus, however, the college demands that male faculty and staff wives and daughters abide by that same dress code. Even if the wife and daughters do not attend PCC or come onto campus. I could write a whole book on PCC, but in a nutshell, it is a cult. Unless one is going there to only study the Bible or nursing ( the program is accredited ) it is waste of money. The school is not regionally accreditted and just got national accredidation a few years ago. Many grad schools and employers will not accept their degrees or allow one to transfer their credits.

Last edited:
Abeka is a good curriculum in the areas of reading and math, but the rest of it is subpar academics, the college recycles the high school material for many of their classes. PCC operates on an environment of legalism and fear as far as the " rules" go. I understand having rules against sexual immorality, drinking, smoking, lying, stealing and cheating, every Christian college has that in their honour code. PCC goes so far as to forbid students from attending any local churches, students must attend the one on campus. If a male students hair is below a certain length, they get demerits. Female students are required to wear dresses and skirts, of which is reasonable for on campus, however, the college demands that male faculty and staff wives and daughters abide by that same dress code. Even if the wife and daughters do not attend PCC or come onto campus. I could write a whole book on PCC, but in a nutshell, it is a cult. Unless one is going there to only study the Bible or nursing ( the program is accredited ) it is waste of money. The school is not regionally accreditted and just got national accredidation a few years ago. Many grad schools and employers will not accept their degrees or allow one to transfer their credits.

Are you being hyperbolic or are you saying they are literally a cult? Could you explain what makes it a cult?

Are you being hyperbolic or are you saying they are literally a cult? Could you explain what makes it a cult?[/QU[/QUOTE

I would say they are a borderline cult.. https://oddculture.com/christian-cult-a-look-at-pensacola-christian-college/

http://samanthapfield.com/2015/04/13/5-good-reasons-not-to-attend-pensacola-christian-college/

The second link is from a former student. If google Pensecola Christian College, you will see a plethora of information come up. Rebekah Horton one of the founders was one of the people that testified against Kent Hovind and got him put into prison.

Are you being hyperbolic or are you saying they are literally a cult? Could you explain what makes it a cult?
I agree. That word gets thrown around a lot. I don't know too much about them, but I would say that what I know of them, their theology is pretty standard fundamentalist, traditional, and patriarchal If you are saying they exercise a lot of legalistic control, then I would agree. I'm not sure that's a definition for cult, though. I welcome others' input if you have more specifics or think my idea of cult is too lenient.

@SerenaJoy82 i read the two articles you posted. They sound more like slander than unbiased critiques. While PCC might be a bit legalistic or academically lacking in some ways, to call them a “cult” might be a bridge too far.

Just read it also. Not sure it that makes them a cult, though micromanaging rules like that are most definitely the foundation that makes a cult possible.

It’s also what you get when there’s no defined fathers authority, and a Christian college is trying to protect their reputation as a safe place to send your young adults.

For some young adults who’ve grown up in some circles of IFB, thats probably a vacation spot. Too liberal on the rules.

https://the-trumpet-online.com/betrayed-kent-jo-hovind-greg-j-dixon/
@SerenaJoy82 i read the two articles you posted. They sound more like slander than unbiased critiques. While PCC might be a bit legalistic or academically lacking in some ways, to call them a “cult” might be a bridge too far.
When a college tells students who choose to leave, that they are doing Satans will, yes that is a cult. Not all cults are blatantly obvious, many disguises themselves as fitting into the mainstream on the surface. If you have 3-4 hours I will gladly send you a link to video with Dale Fincher, who is a PCC alumni and former student body president. We can agree to disagree on them being a cult, but it is a place where spiritual abuse is rampant.

Back