• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Enforced Polygamy

Note too that many of the punishments given in the Mosaic law [sic] were not "enforced". David was not stoned for sleeping with Bathsheba.
But there WAS a death penalty, and it's very possible that David might have actually preferred being stoned to what happened instead.

Likewise, His Torah specifies a death penalty for many abominations. Specifically so, in the case of a "man lying with a man as with a woman." Arguably, He still "enforces" it - with death at an early age. There are many similar examples, I might argue. ;)

With "Enforced Monogamy" it's 'enforced' through laws and social norms that dis-courage it, but there's always free will. Likewise with "enforced polygamy." Certain circumstances would lead a man to having multiple wives - but at the end of the day - he has free will. He doesn't have to do anything - he can even stay un-married his whole life. But choices in one's own life leads to reaping what you sow. So there could be blessings or curses for what you decide to do or not do.

With "Enforced Monogamy" it's 'enforced' through laws and social norms that dis-courage it, but there's always free will. Likewise with "enforced polygamy." Certain circumstances would lead a man to having multiple wives - but at the end of the day - he has free will. He doesn't have to do anything - he can even stay un-married his whole life. But choices in one's own life leads to reaping what you sow. So there could be blessings or curses for what you decide to do or not do.
The better we know and understand what God has said, the better position we will be in to make the right choices. With those better made choices comes God blessings. But those blessings might mean having the opportunity to suffer for His sake. Phil. 1:29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake.

But there WAS a death penalty, and it's very possible that David might have actually preferred being stoned to what happened instead.

Likewise, His Torah specifies a death penalty for many abominations. Specifically so, in the case of a "man lying with a man as with a woman." Arguably, He still "enforces" it - with death at an early age. There are many similar examples, I might argue. ;)
My point is that in many cases no human enforced it, leaving justice entirely to God.
It's not necessarily our role to go around enforcing (or forcing, as I pointed out the implication is) His instructions on others. Rather we should focus on voluntarily obeying His instructions ourselves.

Back