• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Ephesians 4:11

:) Michelle, I know how you feel...been in that position many a time. My pastor and I actually got into a big argument during a discipleship class...it was CRAZY!lol There are always those who love to puff up their chest and be the "ONE" who knows all things scriptural...my feeling is, if we knew it all then why on earth aren't we doing a better job than we are?lol I have never been one to know my place I guess you could say. I have been told my older ladies in church that I need to be more submissive...I am working on that...but I am NOT submissive to men that are not my husband. I am respectful, but no doormat either!LOL It is hard to be in that church office, you get the blame for all kinds of things that are no where near your fault...I have seen pastors and deacons completely chew out the church secretary becuase they were mad at someone else in the congregation and took it out on her. I am suprised we don't have a comittee for that! Best of luck hon, you seem to have such a good heart and desire so much knowledge, I pray that things get better:)

Shannon

Mark C said:
lutherangirl said:
"...If we don't receive anymore prophecies in "now-a-days" time, what is a prophets job?

Michelle

A true "prophet's" job is ALWAYS the same, Michelle -- as is the message. And it really doesn't have much to do with "foretelling the future". It is about calling His people to "t'shuvah". That Hebrew word is usually translated as "repent", but it REALLY literally means "RETURN!"
(Hey, guys! You're GOIN' the WRONG WAY! And if you don't TURN AROUND and go back the other direction, the BAD STUFF He's already warned you about will happen...again.)
Mark,

I really like your answer about prophets not being a "fortune teller" but warning people what the Bible says. That makes sense and of course it is happening now. Our pastors tells us every week what is going to happen if we don't repent. Thank you for that insight.

tylersmom01 said:
:) Michelle, I know how you feel...been in that position many a time. My pastor and I actually got into a big argument during a discipleship class...it was CRAZY!lol There are always those who love to puff up their chest and be the "ONE" who knows all things scriptural...my feeling is, if we knew it all then why on earth aren't we doing a better job than we are?lol I have never been one to know my place I guess you could say. I have been told my older ladies in church that I need to be more submissive...I am working on that...but I am NOT submissive to men that are not my husband. I am respectful, but no doormat either!LOL It is hard to be in that church office, you get the blame for all kinds of things that are no where near your fault...I have seen pastors and deacons completely chew out the church secretary becuase they were mad at someone else in the congregation and took it out on her. I am suprised we don't have a comittee for that! Best of luck hon, you seem to have such a good heart and desire so much knowledge, I pray that things get better:)

Shannon

Is it possible to be equally submissive to both your Pastor and Husband unless they both agree 100%. If they do not both agree 100% and there is an area of irreconcilable contradiction you will have to choose not to follow at least one of them, in this sense you might be more/less submissive to one than the other (or not submissive to either one.) In effect you will have to hate or despise the one compared with the other by disregarding what they say when the other says something irreconcilably contradictory but obeying the rest of the time or by disobeying one (or both) even more often than that.

lutherangirl said:
Shannon,

I was just trying to make a point about the "foo foo" part. Of course I value Sunday school teachers and VBS staff. I've been apart of both as well. It's just hard being a church secretary and secretary for the church council. I'm involved in many decision making efforts and battles that arise along the way. It's difficult to know a woman's place when the men are looking for answers but yet don't want to necessarily want to hear them from a woman. Hence, what spiritual gift do I have, since I'm placed in many different positions? I want to glorify God but not be out of order.

Michelle

Ask your husband at home if you have questions/suggestions about decisions (made at Church) unless there is an immediate emergency or some immediate reason to create a reasonable exception. The men at Church really should not be burdening you be asking your opinion about anything unless there is a very good reason.

If they wonder how can we make this Church better for the married women..... all the married men should already know their wives opinion based on what their wives told them, which they should have been paying attention to (if they cared about their wives opinion.) I mean..... do they expect that the husbands on the committees and attending the service ignored their wives 6 days a week and now they (men other than the husbands) suddenly have to ask the married womens' opinions because the husbands never did?

34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.[g]

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command.

1 Corinthians 14:34-37 NIV 2011

tylersmom01 said:

Shannon

Shannon,

I'm glad that you understand that I wasn't downplaying our roles in the church as women. I'm also trying to learn to be more submissive. Although I find that some women who practice being submissive tend to say things under their breath or gossip. I'd rather deal with the situation in a grown up loving Christian way. If saying what's on my mind in this matter isn't considered "submissive", then I'll be honest I guess I'll never be totally submissive. :lol: You sound like you really have a love for the Lord and are doing His work. What denomination are you? You can pm me if this is too personal to post here.

Michelle

DiscussingTheTopic said:
Ask your husband at home if you have questions/suggestions about decisions (made at Church) unless there is an immediate emergency or some immediate reason to create a reasonable exception. The men at Church really should not be burdening you be asking your opinion about anything unless there is a very good reason.

If they wonder how can we make this Church better for the married women..... all the married men should already know their wives opinion based on what their wives told them, which they should have been paying attention to (if they cared about their wives opinion.) I mean..... do they expect that the husbands on the committees and attending the service ignored their wives 6 days a week and now they (men other than the husbands) suddenly have to ask the married womens' opinions because the husbands never did?

34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.[g]

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command.

1 Corinthians 14:34-37 NIV 2011

DTT,

Trust me, my poor husband, I talk to him all the time. I run things by him, and he has helped me in soooo many ways knowing the "way of man" thinking. I go into the meetings just grunting and oh, ho, ho, ho--caveman like. :lol: Just kidding. He has thought me so many things and continues to challenge me not to be a bubble headed girl. Yes, he loves that I'm learning to be submissive, but I'm glad that he values that I'm professional enough to hold certain positions within the church for the Glory of G*d. Believe me, my husband is wonderfully talented, however; he would offend half of the people at the meetings I go to. He is very, very blunt, no sugar coating, and no tolerance for running around the same mountain doing the same thing mentality. :lol:

Michelle

Back