• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Eschatology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlaloc

In another thread people where commenting on Eschatology and I'm not sure the Pre-millennial futurists here realize how common the other Eschatologies are. I'm not surprised there are at least a few preterists here, I'd guess that they are the normal or mainstream kind that have a future view of some of the very late bits of Revelation (there is a specific chapter and verse cut off, but I don't recall it right now) and not hyperpreterists. I could be wrong, but I'm starting a thread to ask what people think the end of the world will be like. I expect there are many pre-millenial futurists, as its quite in vogue right now and has been for over a century. There are a lot of different flavors of Pre-Mil-Fut though, so even within the same structure its interesting to ask people what they think. I doubt we have any amillenialists as I don't know any poly Catholics, though I suppose there are other kinds of amillenialism out there they're pretty rare as far as I know. And of course we have a bit of Post-millennial futurism too.

So, what do people think? I'd like to see some debate, but seeing what different people think is the heart of my thread, so try to make sure everyone who wants to say something gets a chance to even if a particular discussion gets heated.

I’m not a bible scholar obviously, but I think the majority of the things normally associated with 'the end times' prophecies have already passed, as is in line with the traditional teachings of the Orthodox Church. I tend not to take to heart many of the ‘later/modern’ teachings of mainline Protestantism. –But that’s just me.

Orthodox preterism, nothing wrong with that. By, 'majority of things' do you mean everything has happened except the stuff after

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

I think the exact orthodox preterism cutoff is something like 20:11. But the point of my question is do you think the New Heaven and New Earth and New Jerusalem are yet to come?

No I think it has all come to pass, I just try not to be blunt. I believe the new heaven and new earth are metaphorical.

Nice topic!
Tlaloc said:
But the point of my question is do you think the New Heaven and New Earth and New Jerusalem are yet to come?
Yes, there is no way that it has (in this time-consciousness zone) taken place with death, appearing to have won.

A new heaven and a new earth is just what it says, "NEW" being the KEY word. Everything on the planet will change, uniting us with our cosmic family! I like to think of it as everything you see around you is not real, it can all change in a blink of an eye. The scripture says "we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal" 2Cor. 4:18. The new heaven and new earth can not exist with change (which is common at this time) for it is eternal!

I believe that all prophecies have been fulfilled and there is nothing at this time stopping the ascension (rapture) of saints on this planet from taken place NOW! However, I have always felt that I will see destruction take place on a massive level before I ascend. So, I believe that a number of cataclysm will continue to take place as we move to the end of this age.

donnag,
Ah, so we do have full preterism. Interesting. It seems to me if its a metaphor is a pretty major hyperbole, but then anything talking about the whole world is a hyperbole if its only referring to the Roman empire, so thats consistent enough.

nicola,

Are you saying everything but the New Heaven and New Earth has been fulfilled? Regular preterism? I think that's what you're saying, but I'm a bit unclear.

I would always agree if you said nothing is stopping the rapture, nothing can, but do you mean it isn't waiting for something? If not why has it not happened?

This is going to require digging out my orthodox analysis books that are buried in a pile in my bedroom....hum..!

Wasn’t the ancient idea of sea/water/lake used as a metaphor for separation? So it’s not a physical absence of a sea but a metaphorical reference to the idea that there will be no more physical barriers to the presence of God? That’s my thinking on it but I need to do a bit of reading.

Not that I know of, though if it was I'm quite interested. I know of quite a few places its made a simile of separation, but even those are not really ancient.

Its an interesting line of thought, but I would be interested if you have materials using the idea of bodies of water as a metaphor for separation.

Cool, thanks.

Is that Eastern Orthodox (Greek Orthodox)? If so that explains my unfamiliarity, as I've come from a long line of Latin\Western orthodoxy (Catholicism\Protestantism) and not studied enough of my Greek Orthodox kin's thoughts on things.

Yes, speciffically for me- Orthodox Church of America. The services are conducted in english instead of Greek (becuse that's all greek to me). Also it's a bit easier than trying to integrate into a very ethnic church like the Russian or Greek parishes. The only drawback is that the closest one is an hour and a half away from us so we don't attend very often. I love it though.

Nice to meet a Greek Orthodox. Is that standard Orthodox Eschatology or are there divisions within Greek Orthodox culture.

I said I was descended from Latin orthodox but I don't even like Latin :D I know there are some English services, though it is kind of neat how they keep their home languages in their services very often even here in the West.

Tlaloc said:
In another thread people where commenting on Eschatology and I'm not sure the Pre-millennial futurists here realize how common the other Eschatologies are. I'm not surprised there are at least a few preterists here, I'd guess that they are the normal or mainstream kind that have a future view of some of the very late bits of Revelation (there is a specific chapter and verse cut off, but I don't recall it right now) and not hyperpreterists. I could be wrong, but I'm starting a thread to ask what people think the end of the world will be like. I expect there are many pre-millenial futurists, as its quite in vogue right now and has been for over a century. There are a lot of different flavors of Pre-Mil-Fut though, so even within the same structure its interesting to ask people what they think. I doubt we have any amillenialists as I don't know any poly Catholics, though I suppose there are other kinds of amillenialism out there they're pretty rare as far as I know. And of course we have a bit of Post-millennial futurism too.

So, what do people think? I'd like to see some debate, but seeing what different people think is the heart of my thread, so try to make sure everyone who wants to say something gets a chance to even if a particular discussion gets heated.

Hi Tlaloc, Donnag, Nicola, and all,

It was probably me that brought the challenge about Preterism into the other topic. I was just slightly peeved by another person suggesting that Preterism wasn't quite a Christian belief. Given that I've studied it carefully for the past decade, I just had to disagree.

Someone asked how far we take Preterism. There are different levels, of course, from "partial preterist" to "full preterist" (both of which have other names as well). The best I can say is that I'm probably a nearly-full-but-not-quite-all-prophecy-completed preterist. I think there is more to come, but very little.

Now I think it is almost without doubt that at the very least some partial preterist view must be true, despite futurists missing the obvious fulfillment of many of those eschatological passages in Scripture.

What I discovered in my studies were that there are a number of things and events in Scripture that appear quite conclusively to correspond to the eschatological passages, all the way up to Revelation 20:8 where "satan" is released to deceive the nations. It appears to me that nothing beyond that point has yet come to pass, but I'm more than willing to consider variations in both directions, toward partial or full preterism.

I'm pretty certain of my position, and I'd enjoy piecing together the evidence of fulfillment of each of the eschatological passages with the rest of you. I'm sure we all have interesting information to share.

John for Christ

Yeah, this will take a lot of brain cells for me! Very interesting subject to me though. Actually I've never even heard of the word "Preterism" before because this subject hardly ever comes up in the orthodox church at all, as far as I've seen, but of course I don't get to attend much either. Hopefully one day that will change. When I used to be a protestant the subject, though not the word itself, came up all the time.

The orthodox church has several different ethnic divisions (if you call it that). In the E TN area we have Greek (they don't understand converts at all because they mostly are of the 'old world' opinion that you're either born into orthodoxy or not), so even thought the services are just beautiful, it's hard to get to know anyone. Then there is the Russian type of church also but have never attended service there. I love them all, but since I'm totally western it's just easier for me to go to an OCA church.

donnag said:
Yeah, this will take a lot of brain cells for me! Very interesting subject to me though. Actually I've never even heard of the word "Preterism" before because this subject hardly ever comes up in the orthodox church at all, as far as I've seen, but of course I don't get to attend much either. Hopefully one day that will change. When I used to be a protestant the subject, though not the word itself, came up all the time.

The orthodox church has several different ethnic divisions (if you call it that). In the E TN area we have Greek (they don't understand converts at all because they mostly are of the 'old world' opinion that you're either born into orthodoxy or not), so even thought the services are just beautiful, it's hard to get to know anyone. Then there is the Russian type of church also but have never attended service there. I love them all, but since I'm totally western it's just easier for me to go to an OCA church.

Hi Donnag,

For about 30 years I was raised in futurist churches. I had never heard of the word "preterism" nor anything about the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. They completely skipped over that portion of my Christian education in the various churches and denominations I attended.

About 20 years ago, I was a die-hard futurist, and encountered preterism for the first time. I thought it was a horrible wicked view of Scripture, and my brother, who related that his counselor had told him about it, got a major sermon from me. Years later, when I discovered the truth, I had to do some repenting.

I have worked in many ministries over the years, including in the international ministry of a world-famous Christian futurist by the name of Dr. James McKeever (who passed away about 10-15 years ago). If anyone had in-depth knowledge of futurism, it was me. Heck, I even thought I had solved some of the confusion among the zillions of futurist viewpoints...

About 12 years ago, I was studying the nature of "Israel"--whether modern Israel is "Israel" and whether there is a separate plan for Jews and Christians. While studying that topic, I ran into preterism for the first time, in a paper entitled, "Matthew 24 Revealed". The author went point-by-point through Matthew 24 and showed how it was fulfilled historically in 70 A.D.

I was shocked, dismayed, and unbelievably upset. I worked across the street from our home, and I'd keep going over to the house at lunch and other times and ranting and raving to my wife that "the guy must be wrong, but I can't find where". That took me into a deep study of preterism, which I kept going for all those years, but after just two or three days of reading everything I could find on it and comparing it to Scripture, I had to admit that he was right--most of prophecy has already been fulfilled. I realized how silly I had been to believe in futurism, particularly in light of the plain, obvious Scriptures that told us it would happen back then!

That left me feeling sort of empty. After all, I had been studying futurism for many years, and now my world was turned upside-down. So, what would I do now, since I had nothing really to anticipate in the future? However, being an honest person, I had to accept the truth when I found it. Since that time I've had the answer to my concern about what will happen in the future, and I'm happier than ever that I discovered the truth.

The thing was that preterism opened up Scripture in a way I never before had seen it. Suddenly things were making sense that always felt confusing or wrong in some subtle way. Believe me, you'll discover that preterism clears up more problems than it causes by far. Preterism glorifies God and puts His prophecies into an incredible framework of God's plan throughout Scripture. I wouldn't trade it for futurism for anything.

John for Christ

Huh how odd, I left those views you now affirm to become a futurist. So you left this to find truth. I left that to find truth. ;)

I argued against the futurist point and called it sin and and raved along with my profs about how messed up it was to believe Israel was an elect nation with a special future in some earthly millennial kingdom.

But then I met some who were and through literal interpretation I came to see I was not a Jew, God still had plans for ethnic Israel, and that the earthly kingdom promises had never yet been fulfilled and despite being angry over their logic and clear teaching of Scripture I could not find holes to the main arguments.

So I then embraced futurism as the truth.

Tlaloc said:
I doubt we have any amillenialists

[Seated in a circle, puts hand up] My name is Ylop and I am an amillenialist.

When I was young and full of enthusiasm I believed in the Rapture. I read all the books, certainly anything by Hal Lindsay, watched the entire Thief in the Night series several times (even the really lame later ones), and inflicted my views upon all and sundry both washed and unwashed. No end times seminar or revival series was free from my attendance.

Shamefully I must also confess an embracing of the 6000 year theory, so I admit 1996 was a bit of a disappointment.

Tragically I also admit to the possession of a magnificent Chart of Dispensations, which certainly explained human history for me at the time.

But those nagging doubts set in, and then in a weak moment I stumbled into a Christian bookshop and my fingers touched a dusty work on the bottom shelf called "Amillenialism Today" and the scales fell from my eyes.

[Tears and a group hug and acceptance despite faults]

-----

Seriously now, in summary I believe that talk of the Rapture and associated speculations are A DISTRACTION.

The kingdom of God is here and now.

As long as the Lord tarries, most of us will see the second coming of Christ WHEN WE DIE.

Then we will have to give an account for our work on earth. Did we expand the boundaries of the kingdom? Or did we waste time navel gazing about our impending escape?

Rapture thinking encourages an escape mentality, whereas what we need is endurance till the end.

ylop ending his post before it becomes a rant
------

John_for_Christ,
Totally agree, and thanks for the encouragement! I must say that about 15 years ago I became so disenchanted with the protestant churches (and believe me I tried them all, all over the country), that I just stopped attending them and when on a 'search' for a couple of years. I was searching for a church that never changes it's values, never waivers from it's origional teaching, and seems like it's comfortable in it's own skin. I eventually discovered the Orthodox Church and spent a long time going over their info and fell in love. I've never been sooo happy to be a part of a church as I am now. It's a huge comfort to me because I like the tradition, the style or worship, and the steadfastness of their doctrine. I only wish I could attend more than I get to but that's what happens when you live in a rural area-everything is far away.

Anyway, this is what I was reading this morning, and is quite interesting to me (taken from The Raputre and the Orthodox Church (Archive) - Mohachos.net Discussion Community), see what you think:

The end times are not to be feared, but rather embraced as the will of God as prophesied in the Bible. Christian Faith is about love, "for there is no fear in love, and perfect love casts out fear" (1 John 4:18). The conclusion of the end times will result in God establishing His eternal Kingdom with beauty and peace that surpasses understanding, as described in Revelations: 21 & 22.

The idea behind a "secret rapture" before the second coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ "taking away Christians" before the Apocalypse of our Blessed Apostle St. John unravel is a 17th Century Protestant interpretation of St. Pauls letter.

Father David Moser11-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Rev 20:2-8

20:1-3 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan. and bound him a thousand years. And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a Seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

After the defeat of Antichrist, 8t. John saw an angel descending from heaven who had a key to the abyss and a great chain in his hand. This angel "laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent...and bound him a thousand years..." St. Andrew of Caesarea interprets this passage in this way: by this "thousand years" one must understand the whole time from the incarnation of Christ to the coming of Antichrist. With the coming of the Incarnate Son of God on earth - and in particular from the moment of His redemption of mankind through His death on the Cross-Satan was bound, paganism was cast down, and there came upon earth the thousand-year reign of Christ. The thousand-year Kingdom of Christ on earth is to be understood as the victory of Christianity over paganism and the establishment on earth of the Church of Christ. The definite number one thousand is used here in place of an indefinite number, signifying the long period of time until the Second Coming of Christ.

20:4 And I saw thrones. and they sat upon them. and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus. and for the word of God. and which had not worshiped the beast. neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads or in their hands; and they lived with Christ a thousand years.

This picture symbolically depicts the kingdom of the Christian faith after the overthrow of paganism. Those who have assumed judgment and sit on the thrones are all Christians who have attained salvation. for to them has been given the promise of the Kingdom and the glory of Christ (I Th 2:12). From this choir the holy Seer of Mysteries singles out in particular "those that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus and for the Word of God," that is, the holy martyrs. St. John says. "I saw the souls of them that were beheaded." From this it is clear that these saints who participate in the thousand-year reign of Christ are reigning with Christ and performing judgment not on earth but in heaven, for it speaks here only concerning their souls which are not yet united with their bodies. From these words it is evident that the Saints take part in the governing of the Church of Christ on earth. and therefore it is natural and proper to appeal to them with prayers, asking their intercession before Christ with Whom they reign.

"And they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years." Their "living" is of a moral and spiritual nature. The holy Seer of Mysteries calls this "the first resurrection" (verse 5). while further on he speaks of the second bodily resurrection. This reigning of the Saints with Christ will continue until the final victory over the dark impious powers under Antichrist.. Then the resurrection of bodies will occur, and the last frightful Judgment will begin. when the souls of the Saints will be reunited with their bodies and will reign with Christ forever.

20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

The expression "lived not again" means the dark and difficult condition of the souls of the impious sinners after bodily death. It continues "until the thousand years were finished." As in many other places in Sacred Scripture, this particle "until" (in Greek eos ) does not signify the continuation of an action only to a certain boundary: on the contrary, it is a complete denial of any limit (see, for example, Matt. 1:25). In other words, it means that the impious dead are denied forever the blessed life.

20:6 Blessed and holy is He that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ. and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

"From the divine Scripture we know that there are two lives and two deaths: the first life is temporal and fleshly because of the transgression of the commandments, while the second is the eternal life promised to the saints for the keeping of the divine commandments. Corresponding to these there are two kinds of death: one fleshly and temporal, and the other eternal as chastisement for sins, which is the fiery gehenna. Consequently, it is understood that if here on earth one has lived in Christ Jesus and has come before Him after the first death (that is, bodily death) with fervent faith in Him and filled with His grace, then one has no need to fear the second death, that is, the fiery gehenna" (Saint Andrew).

These first six verses of the twentieth chapter of the Apocalypse have served as a pretext for the development of a false teaching concerning the "thousand-year reign of Christ on earth" which has received the name of Chiliasm. In essence it teaches that not long before the end of the world. Christ the Saviour will come again to earth, defeat Antichrist, resurrect the righteous, and make a new kingdom on earth. As a reward for their struggles and sufferings, the righteous will reign together with Christ for the course of a thousand years. and will enjoy all the good things of temporal life. Only then will there follow the second. universal resurrection of the dead, the universal judgment, and the general giving of eternal rewards. This teaching is known in two forms. Some say that Christ will restore Jerusalem in all its beauty and reinitiate the fulfillment of Moses' ritual law with all its sacrifices; and that the blessedness of the righteous will consist in all manner of sensual enjoyments. In the first century this teaching was held by the heretic Cerinthus and other judaizing heretics: the Ebionites. the Montanists. and in the fourth century by the Apollinarians. Others, on the contrary, have affirmed that this blessedness will consist in purely spiritual delights. In this latter form, chiliastic ideas were expressed first by Papias of Hieropolis; later they are to be found in the holy Martyr Justin, in St. lrenaeus. in Hippolytus. Methodius and Lactantius. In recent times it has been revived with certain peculiarities by the Anabaptists, the followers of Swedenborg, the Illuminati and Adventists. One must be aware, however, that neither in its first nor in its second form can the teaching of Chiliasm be accepted by an Orthodox Christian for the following reasons:

1. According to the chiliast teaching, the resurrection of the dead will take place twice: the first, a thousand years before the end of the world-when only the righteous will be resurrected; and the second. at the very end of the world, when sinners also will be resurrected. However, Christ the Saviour clearly taught only one universal resurrection of the dead. when both the righteous and the sinners will be resurrected and all will receive their final recompense (John 6:39-40; Matt. 13;37-43).

2. The Word of God speaks of only two comings of Christ in the world: the first in lowliness, when He came to redeem us; and the second in glory. when He will appear to judge the living and the dead. Chiliasm introduces one more-a third coming of Christ a thousand years before the end of the world. The Word of God knows no such thing.

3. The Word of God teaches only of two kingdoms of Christ: the Kingdom of Grace which will continue until the end of the world (I Cor. 15:23-26). and the Kingdom of Glory which will begin after the Last Judgment and will have no end (Luke 1:33; II Peter 1:11). Chiliasm, however, allows yet a third, as it were a middle kingdom of Christ. which will last only a thousand years.

4. The teaching of a sensual kingdom of Christ clearly contradicts the Word of God. according to which the Kingdom of God is not "food and drink" (Rom. 14:17); in the resurrection of the dead they do not marry nor give oaths (Matt. 22:30); the rights of the laws of Moses had only a prefiguring significance and were forever done away with by the more perfect New Testament law (Acts 15:23-30; Rom. 6:14; Gal. 5:6; Heb. 10:1)

Certain ancient teachers of the Church - Justin, Irenaeus and Methodius - held Chiliasm only as a personal opinion. At the same time there were those who decidedly rose up against it such as Caius the Presbyter of Rome. St. Dionysius of Alexandria, Origen, Eusebius of Caesarea, St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, St. Epiphanius. Blessed Jerome, and Blessed Augustine. To hold Chiliasm even as a private opinion was no longer permissible after the Church, at the Second Ecumenical Council in 381, condemned the teaching of the heretic Apollinarius concerning the thousand-year reign of Christ. At the same time this was confirmed by the introduction into the Symbol of Faith of the words "of His Kingdom there will be no end."

One must likewise know that the Apocalypse is a book which is profoundly mystical. and therefore to understand and interpret literally the prophecies contained in it-especially if such a literal understanding contradicts other passages of Sacred Scripture - is entirely opposed to the rules of hermeneutics. In such cases, it is correct to seek in perplexing passages a metaphorical or allegorical meaning.

20:7-8 And when the thousand years are expired.. Satan will be loosed out of his prison, and will go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog. to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

By the "loosing of Satan out of his prison" is to be understood the appearance of Antichrist before the end of the world. The liberated Satan will strive in the person of Antichrist to deceive all the nations of the earth, and will raise up Gog and Magog in battle against the Christian Church. St. Andrew says: "Some people think that Gag and Magog are the northern and most remote Scythian peoples or, as we call them, Huns, the most militant and numerous peoples of the earth. They are restrained from taking possession of the whole world only by the Divine right hand until the liberation of the devil. Others, translating from the Hebrew, say that Gog signifies 'one who gathers' or 'a gathering', and that Magog signifies 'one who is exalted' or 'exaltation'. And so, these names signify either a gathering of peoples or their exaltation. One must suppose that these names are used in a metaphorical sense to denote those fierce hordes who, at the end of the world, will arm themselves under the leadership of Antichrist against the Church of Christ."

From The Apocalypse of St John; An Orthodox Commentary compiled by Archbishop Averky (himself a great luminary of the faith).

Fr David

Here is a partial list of premillennial teachers/writings in the early churches. Just some food for thought.

1. Clement of Rome (first century pastor; a disciple of Peter and/or Paul; pastor of the Church in Rome along with Linus and Cletus)

2. Papius (60-130)

3. Shepherd of Hermas (96-150)

4. Ignatius of Antioch (35 to 107)

5. Epistle of Barnabas (70 - 130)

6. Didache (120-150)

7. Justin Martyr (100-165)

8. Irenaeus (125-202)

9. Tertullian (145-220)

10. Hippolytus (185-236)

11. Cyprian (200-250)

12. Lactantius (240-320)

13. The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs (first century)

14. Commodianus (3rd or 4th century)

15. Ephraem of Syria (306-373) [this teacher was even a pre-tribulational premillennial futurist].

Augustine began as a futurist and then later changed his views on that later in life. Interestingly a few of the early leaders who were students of John said that Apostle John taught the future millennial view to them directly.

I find it interesting too that after the church fell into the dark ages where every central doctrine of Scripture was lost around the 400's-500's this view was also one of the doctrines that was discarded and then it was again revived in the wake of Reformation era (1600's onward; Many of the Puritans and Pilgrims were futuristic millennial believers).

I find that to be interesting historical observations. Whether one is a futurist or not, I find the mere historical flow of the doctrine to be very helpful in the study of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back