• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Even Dragons Shall Him Praise

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Just discovered the brand new #1 Christian album in the US tonight (http://www.itunescharts.net/us/charts/albums/christian-gospel/)
Brian Sauve's "Even Dragons Shall Him Praise". Wow, it is different. Mostly Psalms. I'm particularly stuck on Psalm 144.
Everyone's gearing up for war?

It's even getting it's own meme's:
Fs0ibD_XwAAWP5T

Fs3qPbYXwAArDXM

Last edited:
I like Christian Rock and metal. I listen to old style Christian rock from the 80's like Stryper and Whitecross. I listen to christian rock when I do my workouts.

And yet, my church and denomination was super conservative when I was younger and basically said any rock music was wrong. So now I have an appreciation for old hymn style music that you would sing out of hymnal or song book to basically a piano.

Awesome meme, I would just change the ‘daddy God’ to mommy God.
They want a nurturing god.

Listening to Ps 144 now. Might bring that to TN....

I like Christian Rock and metal. I listen to old style Christian rock from the 80's like Stryper and Whitecross. I listen to christian rock when I do my workouts.

And yet, my church and denomination was super conservative when I was younger and basically said any rock music was wrong. So now I have an appreciation for old hymn style music that you would sing out of hymnal or song book to basically a piano.
Your comment on Christian rock takes me back to my teen years in the late 80s early 90s. I liked Petra and White Cross. I recently showed my wife some old White Cross videos on YouTube. She wasn't overly impressed. Growing up in Japan, she missed out on Christian rock. 😉

I really enjoy the old hymns (at least the ones with good theology like Isaac Watt and Charles Wesley wrote, not the "walk in the garden alone while the dew is on the roses" type junk).

Your comment on Christian rock takes me back to my teen years in the late 80s early 90s. I liked Petra and White Cross. I recently showed my wife some old White Cross videos on YouTube. She wasn't overly impressed. Growing up in Japan, she missed out on Christian rock. 😉

I really enjoy the old hymns (at least the ones with good theology like Isaac Watt and Charles Wesley wrote, not the "walk in the garden alone while the dew is on the roses" type junk).
I was a teen in the 80s. According to the conservative Baptist church I went to rock music was to be avoided. I did not care I listened anyways. All they used in church services was hymns played to pianos or organs. I guess drums were supposedly sinful. Anyway to this day Christian metal band Stryper is my favorite band. They have been around 40 years and are in their 60s.

Are you guys familiar with
Simon Khorolskiy? I've been enjoying his music lately. Most of it is in Russian (which I don't speak), but I really like his English songs (and enjoy the sound of the Russian ones too).

I was a teen in the 80s. According to the conservative Baptist church I went to rock music was to be avoided. I did not care I listened anyways. All they used in church services was hymns played to pianos or organs. I guess drums were supposedly sinful. Anyway to this day Christian metal band Stryper is my favorite band. They have been around 40 years and are in their 60s.
I grew up in the Church of the Nazarene, and they were opposed to rock music at the time, but were usually ok with Christian rock (though many kids thought it cheesy and listened to regular rock)

I remember watching a video as a kid at church about how evil rock music was (satanism and backmasking you know), and another about Star Wars being of the occult/new age. Looking back now, I know they were right, and that these largely were negative cultural influences.

I also remember visiting my friend's Pentecostal church youth group and the youth pastor teaching on the evils of Christian rock. They were a little stricter than us.

My church switched over from hymns to worship choruses in the late 80s, when we got a new pastor that moved up from Southern California.

I grew up in the Church of the Nazarene, and they were opposed to rock music at the time, but were usually ok with Christian rock (though many kids thought it cheesy and listened to regular rock)

I remember watching a video as a kid at church about how evil rock music was (satanism and backmasking you know), and another about Star Wars being of the occult/new age. Looking back now, I know they were right, and that these largely were negative cultural influences.

I also remember visiting my friend's Pentecostal church youth group and the youth pastor teaching on the evils of Christian rock. They were a little stricter than us.
I can't remember which denomination it is, but one of them only uses a cappella singing in their church services. As far as the evils of rock music that sounds exactly like our youth group. If you listened to rock and it was found out, you were basically told to confess your sin and get it right. Never mind that most kids did it anyways.

Keep in mind this was an ultra conservative church that basically made girls wear long dresses all the time and guys had to wear like suits to church. So many extra biblical rules and regulations I could go on forever.

I still agree with a lot of their biblical views, I just don't believe in their form of extreme legalism and fight it at every turn.

I can't remember which denomination it is, but one of them only uses a cappella singing in their church services. As far as the evils of rock music that sounds exactly like our youth group. If you listened to rock and it was found out, you were basically told to confess your sin and get it right. Never mind that most kids did it anyways.

Keep in mind this was an ultra conservative church that basically made girls wear long dresses all the time and guys had to wear like suits to church. So many extra biblical rules and regulations I could go on forever.

I still agree with a lot of their biblical views, I just don't believe in their form of extreme legalism and fight it at every turn.
I think the "Church of Christ" folks only sing acapella, and I think some of the super Reformed Presbyterian folks do as well (regulative principle). Some of the very Reformed only sing Psalms.

Speaking of ladies in long dresses....

I like it. 👍

They look so much prettier and feminine than women in pants.

I think the "Church of Christ" folks only sing acapella, and I think some of the super Reformed Presbyterian folks do as well (regulative principle). Some of the very Reformed only sing Psalms.

Speaking of ladies in long dresses....

I like it. 👍

They look so much prettier and feminine than women in pants.
I agree I love ladies in dresses, but they went overboard. It was like required at virtually all times.

I can't remember which denomination it is, but one of them only uses a cappella singing in their church services.
I agree I love ladies in dresses, but they went overboard. It was like required at virtually all times.

I've been attending a church like this for about a month now. They aren't "Church of Christ", but they are also a group throughout the world in small numbers. I don't intend to follow the extra rules and regulations, but fellowship with them is really good. The guys wear suits for the service (makes me easy to notice), and the girls wear flowery or patterned dresses all the time along with a small circular cap on their heads. They also sit on opposite sides of the aisle.

One intriguing thing they do is kneel for prayer multiple times throughout the service. Except for the last prayer, for which they stand instead, a distinction I haven't yet figured out.

Anyway, they do a cappella for worship; someone from among the congregation chooses a song from one of two books of hymns, a man goes up front and blows into something to get the desired note and sings it out, then everyone starts singing, and not just the melody but the bass and other parts as well. All while sitting. I enjoy it.

I went to a super conservative independent baptist church and school. A few things unique to them. Everything and every form of entertainment is "worldly" and forbidden. This includes going to movie theaters (although watching movies on TV is generally OK). Any movies not rated PG or at the most PG 13 are frowned upon. You're expected to be in every service unless you're dying of sickness. That includes Sunday school, sunday morning, sunday night, wednesday night, extra "revival" services and tuesday night visitation or calling and saturday morning activities such as "soul winning", bus calling etc (basically make unannounced visits at people's homes to try to either get them to ride the church bus or get them to say a sinners prayer). Ridiculously modest clothing standards - the longer the dress the better on women. Ankle length is best. If you're a man you better wear your best suit to church. All shorts and stuff had to be knee length both guys and girls. No music except super conservative christian music and classical music. Like piano music only. CCM and christian rock were basically a no go and preached against. No physical contact between unmarried men and women not even hand holding. And oh yeah the pastors word was final on everything. He would personally check if you tithed and stuff. A lot of yelling and screaming about evils during sermons. Alter calls to make sure if you were in sin you were getting it right. Kids pressured into going into unaccredited bible colleges where they could either be a pastor, youth pastor, or teacher if a girl. Like this place was almost a jail. I reject over 90 percent of that stuff today, but ironically they were good at reading and studying their bibles, they just misapplied stuff and made up rules.

Yeah I frequently rant against extra biblical rules and regulations. I have zero time for that.

I went to a super conservative independent baptist church and school. A few things unique to them. Everything and every form of entertainment is "worldly" and forbidden. This includes going to movie theaters (although watching movies on TV is generally OK). Any movies not rated PG or at the most PG 13 are frowned upon. You're expected to be in every service unless you're dying of sickness. That includes Sunday school, sunday morning, sunday night, wednesday night, extra "revival" services and tuesday night visitation or calling and saturday morning activities such as "soul winning", bus calling etc (basically make unannounced visits at people's homes to try to either get them to ride the church bus or get them to say a sinners prayer). Ridiculously modest clothing standards - the longer the dress the better on women. Ankle length is best. If you're a man you better wear your best suit to church. All shorts and stuff had to be knee length both guys and girls. No music except super conservative christian music and classical music. Like piano music only. CCM and christian rock were basically a no go and preached against. No physical contact between unmarried men and women not even hand holding. And oh yeah the pastors word was final on everything. He would personally check if you tithed and stuff. A lot of yelling and screaming about evils during sermons. Alter calls to make sure if you were in sin you were getting it right. Kids pressured into going into unaccredited bible colleges where they could either be a pastor, youth pastor, or teacher if a girl. Like this place was almost a jail. I reject over 90 percent of that stuff today, but ironically they were good at reading and studying their bibles, they just misapplied stuff and made up rules.

Yeah I frequently rant against extra biblical rules and regulations. I have zero time for that.
KJV bible only right? That seems to go with the fundamental Baptists.

Extra Biblical rules and regulations are a big problem.

Interesting! The community I'm observing is similar in some ways, and different in others. Up until recently they were against all recorded music as well as all instruments, and all video as well as pictures of people. The clothing standards sound about the same, though it's always ankle-length dresses and never shorts for the girls. But they are much more easy-going on the other things. Very kind, gentle, happy, and loving people. What you describe sounds quite burdensome, and it sounds like it left quite a painful mark. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and wish people wouldn't be like that, especially not Christians.

In regards to music, when it comes to this genre (roughly) I enjoyed bands like Petra, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, and Switchfoot while growing up. I love listening to music and am always on the lookout for new things in a variety of genres, so I'm happy to learn about Brian Sauve's music. I was introduced to Simon Khorolskiy's music in the last couple years as well, and quite enjoyed that.

KJV bible only right? That seems to go with the fundamental Baptists.

Extra Biblical rules and regulations are a big problem.
Oh yeah, I forgot that one. You had to have a KJV Bible. Every other Bible was of the devil, including the NKJV. The KJV was equal to or above the original autographs. Never mind that you can't understand half of it. LOL. They basically mandated reading a Bible that half the people couldn't understand. I get more out of reading the New Living Translation than I ever got out of the King James.

What you describe sounds quite burdensome, and it sounds like it left quite a painful mark. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and wish people wouldn't be like that, especially not Christians.
It left a bad taste for sure and I will never attend another church like that ever. I do attend a Baptist church now, but it's not like that at all. We listen to CCM in church and the women wear jeans or whatever they want to church. I actually agree doctrinally with most of what the Baptists teach, but not all of course.

Back