• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Faith driving atheistic science

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
This graphic is a great illustration of how people can be too wedded to a theory. From Zerohedge.

Scientists agree that the universe consists of three distinct parts: everyday visible (or measurable) matter, and two theoretical components called dark matter and dark energy.

As Visual Capitalists's Mark Belan explains below, these last two are theoretical because they have yet to be directly measured - but even without a full understanding of these mysterious pieces to the puzzle, scientists can infer that the universe’s composition can be broken down as follows:

2022-08-20_11-25-06.jpeg

So, 68 + 27 = 95% of the universe is comprised of theoretical components - dark energy and dark matter - which nobody has ever observed?
Only 0.5% of the universe is comprised of stars - the obvious massive things that astronomers largely observe?

To explain this in simple terms: Astronomers study the movement of stars, and other radiation that is detectable with telescopes. They also have a presupposition (hypothesis) that the universe began in a big bang billions of years ago - i.e. everything started at one point and has been moving out from that. Astronomers try to make mathematical equations that explain what they observe, and conform with the hypothesis of an ancient big bang.

The actual observations do not fit the hypothesis.

When this happens, a scientist has two options:
  1. Use the scientific method: Conclude that the hypothesis is wrong (e.g. there was no big bang, the universe originated differently), or
  2. Use faith: Keep believing the hypothesis anyway, and make up stuff to explain it.
This graphic illustrates scientists operating in "make stuff up" mode, because they have too strong a faith in their atheistic hypothesis.

In this case, their mathematical models differ so much from the actual observations of the movement of stars, that the only way they can make the equations work is to imagine that there is actually 74 times as much matter out there than they can actually see (dark matter is 74x the mass of the stars in the above graphic). That really means the models are wrong and they have no idea what's actually going on.

"Dark matter" is like hypothesising that female rabbits have one baby per year. So you get a pair of rabbits, leave them to their business, and by the end of the year have dozens of rabbits. You could conclude that your hypothesis was wrong - rabbits must breed at a faster rate than that. Or you could hold onto the original hypothesis (one baby per year per female), and conclude that there must be dozens of invisible rabbits in the cage that you can't observe which are responsible for all of the additional offspring. Which is more reasonable?

Now, I am not an astronomer. I don't know what the reality is here - maybe "dark matter" and "dark energy" really do exist, and maybe there is a lot of it. However, I do know a thing or two about the scientific method - and science studies what we can observe and test. If your theories don't work unless you imagine the intervention of massive invisible forces you cannot observe or test, forces that are far greater than the natural forces that you can actually observe - you're moving outside the bounds of science, and moving into faith.

In fact, how is this different than concluding that astronomy doesn't work unless there has been the intervention of a massive invisible personal force - a god - greater and more powerful than the observable parts of the universe?

Astronomy shows us that there must be something far greater out there. People only disagree on what that is.

Last edited:
@FollowingHim, this is an incredibly important topic for biblical families, especially in light of the difficulties in keeping the hearts of teenagers and young adults. The adversary has framed the Bible as a fairy tale, but the evidence that it is scientifically and historically accurate is plenteous and should see the light of day.
It was clear to me when I read the hypothesis regarding "dark matter" that secular science was attempting to explain why the spiral arms of galaxies appear so distinctly whereas if there had actually been billions of years of swirling around, the spiral arms should be much less distinct in appearance. Spiral galaxies should look much more like disks with uniform appearance. Something of immense gravitational force must be acting on these spiral arms, according to secular science. They cannot explain the spiral arms!
In other words, dark matter is a fairy tale, and the universe is much younger than we have been told.
I am thinking about doing a daily reading from my books on this and other apologetics topics to the children -- maybe to our older children.

Or maybe they are right. And “dark” matter/energy is their label for God holding the course of all creation in it’s path.

Col 1:17
Heb 1:3

An atheist can observe evidence of the LORD and come to the wrong conclusion while describing the very miraculous evidence of the creator God.

The new James Webb space telescope is really throwing a spanner in the works of mainstream astronomy. The purpose of the telescope is to look at galaxies that are supposed to be so far away that the light we receive from them dates from the early days of the universe. What we see should, according to mainstream theory, be very very old and represent galaxies in the early stages of formation.

But they are actually finding fully formed normal galaxies, not the messy blobs of gas and stars starting to coalesce into them which big bang theory predicted. AND they do not appear to be moving away from us as they should be if the universe were expanding.

In other words, what they are seeing is consistent with creation as fully-formed galaxies, and inconsistent with big bang theory. However, it is possible to modify the theory and assume that the universe is even older than previously thought so the galaxies had more time to form. This is not a complete death blow for the theory, because when you have firm faith in something you can always find a way to continue to have firm faith in it. But following the scientific method, it should shake the theory, because its predictions are not lining up with the evidence.

Science requires faith. It requires two assumptions which must be taken on faith.

1. Laws of nature can be find using reason
2. Laws on nature don't change throught time
3. There must be order according to which nature behaves (laws of nature)

People must believe that all 3 assumptions must be true in order to start trying this new science idea. Without such belief why try something unprofitable?

Only one major belief system implies above assumptions. Which? Christanity.

Because Jesus likes order He created cosmos full of order. It is Satan who likes chaos. Since our Creator has foreknowledge and He doesn't change He can create universe "right" first time. No need for error correction which implies changing laws of nature. We humans can use reason and are created by God therefore God has reason. God can only give what He allready has.

Dark matter is good name.

It has gravity pull which implies mass which implies matter. Only matter has mass.

But somehow we aren't able to perceive what this mass is. All molecules release energy (which we see as radiation). Frequency of radiation varies depending on molecule type. But somehow this isn't happening. All frequencies show nothing which makes dark fitting name.

I'm not certain did I explain correctly, but every type of matter has its "energic signature." No something we are seeing here.

As I am reading all of these GREAT posts I am struck by the similarity between astronomers and astrophysicists basically inventing dark matter and dark energy to explain away gaps in their understanding with the mathematical concept of -i or the square root of -1.

For some reason people are always attracted to such ideas because it makes them feel like they have power over their own ignorance when in fact they are only making their ignorance deeper and broader.

I've long called this phenomenon magical thinking because otherwise rational people are using magical explanations to fill in the gaps of their limited and human understandings.

A good recent example is COVID19 and the mRNA shots.

Someone started calling mRNA a vaccine when in fact it is not a vaccine. But people wanted to believe it was a vaccine and then they invested it with magical powers to do something it was never designed to do.

So what happened when reality intruded on a fairy tale and disproved that mRNA was a vaccine?

The magical thinkers redefined vaccine to include mRNA and by doing so they erased what it means to be a vaccine.

All this to say that it is a common human fallacy to come up with things to explain away otherwise natural events or phenomena and it's also a common human fallacy to invest things with magical properties that they don't have.

Or when you can't find something to hold up as a magical talisman then just invent something to blame.

It's so much easier than 1) performing the hard work of actual science or 2) performing the monumental accomplishment of humility by admitting that humanity is incapable of understanding the full immensity and grandeur of God's Creation.

Stephen Hawking's wife revealed that her husband's sad but compelling motivation in life was to come up with a proof that God didn't exist.

Back