• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Family" Spiritual Warfare

maddog2

Let me preface my questions with a disclaimer, I am just a student of His Word, no advanced academics.
We have the mandate to "visit the orphans and widows in their affliction" and I am wondering how that is actually fleshed out. Add to this the idea of spiritual warfare i.e., a woman(with or without children) with an oppressive spirit. Is it possible that the truest answer for widows in affliction is to bring them into the jurisdiction of a family(or church family for the non-poly types)and deal with oppressive issues at that point?
maddog

Provisionally, Yes.

There is a difference between having someone come live with your family for a while as you minister to them, vs marrying them in hopes that the "good" marriage relationship will heal them..

Jesus asked, "Do you want to be healed?" Some folks, when it comes down to it, DON'T! Their oppressive spirit feels familiar to them, and they don't truly want to change. In such a case, the likelihood is that they won't. Do you truly want to have that become an integral part of your family, to which you are bound for life?

Minister, by all means. And if the ministry is received, the bondage is broken, the newly freed fit in comfortably with the family, etc. By all means feel free to make it permanent.

But there are no guarantees that it will work. And the idea that simply being married to YOU is gonna fix it, for you are emotionally healthy and loving and non-abusive, is more reliable in theory than practice.

Back