• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fear of God

Sean Miller

Male
You're onto something here Mojo. Hope you get time to expound your thoughts because you're spot on. Men confronting men is where the action is. They are our leaders and IF this boat is going to turn around, it will be the men who get it done--not through dictatorship ruling by fear or force, but by courageously confronting the wrong on "either side of the aisle" (to borrow an really overworked political phrase) and with God's love and help pull things back to center under our Creator's design. LOVE NEVER FAILS!!!

What happened to the "wrath of God"? If the solution was just love, then women in this society who want to be the head and the men who let them out of "love" would say things are resolved as they are now. But that kind of permissive love is not the only thing they need or want. If you believe the solution is found only in men taking charge and leading through love, then look around you, because we are living that now. Ruling out of the premise of love, that's mainly why we are here now in society, "I don't want to do or say something she might not like or feel loved in" type of behavior. We are in this mess now because men have been taught to fear women for the sake of peace. Ruling out of Love and no iron rod of any kind has resulted in the chaos throughout the world as it is now.

God killed King Herod for just his lack of praise and that was AFTER Jesus died and returned to heaven. I'm fully for grace and love but that is not what helps me act in obedience to Him, I've seen and witnessed his wrath and its not something I want to screw with.

From what I'm reading that you said, it doesn't sound like there is any fear, that won't encourage anyone to submit to God or their husbands.

At the end of the day, feminism or not, women make a choice, no matter if fear is involved or not. My ultimate point is a wife SHOULD fear her husband, just as we fear God. "However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband."
Ephesians 5:33 NIV
The original Greek word for "respect" used here is phobeō, which means "to frighten, i.e. (passively) to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe of, i.e. revere:—be (+ sore) afraid, fear (exceedingly), reverence".

I realize this won't be a popular thing for me to say, but it is the truth, from Scripture, no wonder the translation was changed! Today men are the ones who act in fear, because of movements like feminism and what it produces in society, men don't and can't stand up as they should.

Seek the Lord , all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the Lord ’s anger.
Zephaniah 2:3 NIV

And in case you're thinking this....No, I don't beat my wives, but there is discipline in my home, no one is forced to do or act in any way. As for me I choose to actively attempt to live accordingly to all His scriptures, not just the ones that fit what I want to hear or make me feel nice.

Last edited:
My ultimate point is a wife SHOULD fear her husband, just as we fear God.

I think I understand what you’re saying, but IMO a better understanding or cross cultural parallel would be the English word reverence as you pointed out in the definition you posted.

1John says that perfect love casts out fear. When a man rules his home in perfect love, there is no fear, only reverence and a sincere desire to please.

My ultimate point is a wife SHOULD fear her husband, just as we fear God
What is the scripture that supports this? I found in one Translation the ASV that says something like this in Ephesians but it's a horrible translation. When your saying fear which definition of phobeos are you speaking of.

The Greek term is phobeo, found 93 times in the New Testament.The word can signify apprehension, (1) “to be afraid of” (Matthew 9:8; 17:6; 27:54). On the other hand, it can suggest (2) “to have a profound measure of respect for,” or to “reverence” (cf. Luke 1:50; 18:2,4; Ephesians 5:33) (see: Frederick Danker, et al., Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Chicago: University of Chicago, 2000, pp. 1060-1062).

If our saying (1) then I disagree with you and challange you to look at the Hebrew and find scriptures that support that.

The Hebrew words יִרְאַ֣ת (yir’aṯ) and יִרְאַ֣ת (p̄aḥaḏ) are most commonly used to describe fear of G-d.

There are two types of fear, lower "fear of punishment" and a higher "fear of [divine awe] glory." Are you saying that women should have "fear of harm" analogous to fear of a snake bite or a king's punishment or "fear of greatness," analogous to respect for an exalted person, who would do us no harm.

I fear G-d because I respect and Love Him and everything he has done. I also fear His wrath. To base my devotion to Him because I fear His wrath, there's no releastionship there only slavery. Why give me free will only to threaten me with punishment to force me to obey?

I think I understand what you’re saying, but IMO a better understanding or cross cultural parallel would be the English word reverence as you pointed out in the definition you posted.

1John says that perfect love casts out fear. When a man rules his home in perfect love, there is no fear, only reverence and a sincere desire to please.
So are you saying all the other scriptures about fearing God are irrelevant because of 1John?

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13 KJV

Might I add, my post is not based on my opinion, just scripture, and isn't that what this site is supposed to be all about?

The BF "Doctrinal Statement" concludes: "We accept the Bible as God's inspired Word and His only written revelation."

I agree fully no one likes the idea of having to fear someone, but that doesn't change that we are called to fear God. We cant avoid the word because we dont want to be in fear, sure we want to feel nice and cozy with God and think "he is the God of mercy and grace so he will do me no harm". That's partially true, God is mercy and grace and we experience it daily! But that doesn't mean he wont bring down his wrath or allow harm upon us. Don't we discipline our children? Don't they fear us fathers out of the potential harm that can fall upon them? Of course, but they still know and experience my fatherly love, mercy and grace, daily.

Last edited:
What is the scripture that supports this? I found in one Translation the ASV that says something like this in Ephesians but it's a horrible translation. When your saying fear which definition of phobeos are you speaking of.

The Greek term is phobeo, found 93 times in the New Testament.The word can signify apprehension, (1) “to be afraid of” (Matthew 9:8; 17:6; 27:54). On the other hand, it can suggest (2) “to have a profound measure of respect for,” or to “reverence” (cf. Luke 1:50; 18:2,4; Ephesians 5:33) (see: Frederick Danker, et al., Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Chicago: University of Chicago, 2000, pp. 1060-1062).

If our saying (1) then I disagree with you and challange you to look at the Hebrew and find scriptures that support that.

The Hebrew words יִרְאַ֣ת (yir’aṯ) and יִרְאַ֣ת (p̄aḥaḏ) are most commonly used to describe fear of G-d.

There are two types of fear, lower "fear of punishment" and a higher "fear of [divine awe] glory." Are you saying that women should have "fear of harm" analogous to fear of a snake bite or a king's punishment or "fear of greatness," analogous to respect for an exalted person, who would do us no harm.

I fear G-d because I respect and Love Him and everything he has done. I also fear His wrath. To base my devotion to Him because I fear His wrath, there's no releastionship there only slavery. Why give me free will only to threaten me with punishment to force me to obey?

I dont think you read the bible verses I quoted, that will answer your 1st question if you go back please and re read.

How can you say he would do us no harm? Dis you read what I said in relation to King Harrod in the book of Acts? He was eaten by worms and died, is that not Gods wrath and doing "harm"?

Yes, A form of harm through punishment, greatness doesn't bring fear.

The great day of the Lord is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the Lord : the mighty man shall cry there bitterly. That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness, A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers. And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the Lord : and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung. Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the Lord's wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.
Zephaniah 1:14‭-‬18 KJV

I suggest reading the whole chapter, It answers your question about why we have free will, or why we do not have free will based on what God says in Zephaniah.

Might I add, my post is not based on my opinion, just scripture,
Your post is based of your interpretation of scripture like rest of us and is opinion unless there is no other way to interpret scripture. You're interpreting fear of G-d as fear of his wrath, fear of punishment.

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love” 1 John 4:18.

"Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,"Ephesians 3:17

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship.” Romans 8:15

That's not opinion that's scripture.

I suggest reading the whole chapter, It answers your question about why we have free will, or why we do not have free will based on what God says in Zephaniah.

Without free will their is no way to choose not to obey. Therefore no way to sin. I suggest you reread Zephaniah and try to see where your interpretation conflicts with the rest of scripture. If you want to devote yourself to G-d out of fear of His wrath and choose to use the interpretation of fear of punishment to guide you family, then by all means exercise your free will and do so nobodies telling you can't. I'm just saying that I see scripture that says your opinion is wrong.

Last edited:
Please define 'perfect love'.
We know God is Love
1John 4:
4You, little children, are from God and have overcome them, because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 5They are of the world. That is why they speak from the world’s perspective, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. That is how we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of deception.

Love Comes from God

7Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Read 1Corinthians 13! Not only is this an instruction of how we are to love each other but how the Father loves us! Yahweh wouldn't instruct us.... through Yeshua or the prophets to do something He himself wouldn't or couldn't do.
We know God does not lie.
Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through
So if God is Love and He doesn't lie. 1 Corinthians 13 is perfect Love

Last edited:
Your post is based of your interpretation of scripture like rest of us and is opinion unless there is no other way to interpret scripture. You're interpreting fear of G-d as fear of his wrath, fear of punishment.

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love” 1 John 4:18.

"Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,"Ephesians 3:17

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship.” Romans 8:15

Without free will their is no way to choose not to obey. Therefore no way to sin. I suggest you reread Zephaniah and try to see where your interpretation conflicts with the rest of scripture. If you want to devote yourself to G-d out of fear of His wrath and choose to use the interpretation of fear of punishment to guide you family, then by all means exercise your free will and do so nobodies telling you can't. I'm just saying that I see scripture that says your opinion is wrong.
Thank you Kevin nicely stated

Your post is based of your interpretation of scripture like rest of us and is opinion unless there is no other way to interpret scripture. Your interpreting fear of G-d as fear of his wrath, fear of punishment.

Where did I imply we are not grounded in love? Where is my quoting of scriptures based on "opinion" or interpretations? Is referring to scripture about fearing God an opinion?

Why dont you come out and say what your trying to, that you don't think we are to fear God? So therefore wives and children shouldn't have a fear of husbands as the church with God?

I'd appreciate reading a response that can argue the bible verses I quoted and, well, most of the bible that talks about the wrath and fear of God. Explain to me how none of the things God did was put of his wrath or to induce fear? Ever read about the 10 plagues upon Egypt? What do you think that was? How about what I mentioned with King Harrod? You have a explanation for why God did that? Was that love, or Gods wrath to create fear and obedience?

Come on people, where is your breif based? On what you want to believe or what the bible actually says? Love and fear co exist as I mentioned in another response in regards to fathers and children with discipline. Is not God's wrath discipline?

Last edited:
Where did I imply we are not grounded in love? Where is my quoting of scriptures based on "opinion" or interpretations? Is referring to scripture about fearing God an opinion?
I was typing and trying to do something else and skipped words. What I was trying to say was, If you want to devote yourself to G-d out of fear of His wrath which it sounds like your saying and choose to use the interpretation of fear as fear of punishment that's your releastionship with G-d, use your releastionship to guide your family.

It's not the references to scripture it's your interpretation that is opinon. You look at the scriptures I provided and you and I Interpret them diffrently, we have diffrent opinons.

Why dont you come out and say what your trying to, that you don't think we are to fear God? So therefore wives and children shouldn't have a fear of husbands as the church with God?
I beleive we should fear G-d out of love and respect. To fear disapoining Him. Not to cower in fear of punishment from Him. Any relationship based off of fear of punishment is a pathetic excuse for a relastionship. Yes G-d punishes us but fearing G-ds punishment is not loving or worshiping G-d.

Your completely twisting what I said and quoted, even the majority of what you quoted you only referred to the one word "reverence" (used only one time for the word phobeo) to argue your belief and left out the majority meaning and use of the word:

Lexicon :: Strong's G5399 - phobeō

KJV Translation Count — Total: 93x

The KJV translates Strong's G5399 in the following manner: fear (62x), be afraid (23x), be afraid of (5x), reverence (1x), miscellaneous (2x).

So your referring to where "fear" and "be afraid" 85xs is less than the one time reverence is?

to put to flight by terrifying (to scare away)

to put to flight, to flee

to fear, be afraid

to be struck with fear, to be seized with alarm

of those startled by strange sights or occurrences

of those struck with amazement

to fear, be afraid of one

to fear (i.e. hesitate) to do something (for fear of harm)

to reverence, venerate, to treat with deference or reverential obedience

I beleive we should fear G-d out of love and respect. To fear disapoining Him. Not to cower in fear of punishment from Him. Any relationship based off of fear of punishment is a pathetic excuse for a relastionship. Yes G-d punishes us but fearing G-ds punishment is not loving or worshiping G-d.

Okay, so here you accept that we are to fear God, and you also acknowledge that God punishes us - but you deny a relationship between those two things. This is illogical to say the least. There is clearly a relationship between God's punishments and disciplines, and our fear of him and obedience to him.

Let's not get so far off the topic here arguing such basics of scripture. Scripture says what it says. There's no going around it. The wife is to phobeo (fear) her husband, and this is clearly intended as another level of the resemblance of husband/ wife to God/ his people. It's not incompatible with loving God or him loving us, and to argue that is to ignore huge chunks of the bible where love and fear of ther Lord go hand in hand. Our God is an awesome God to be feared, loved, and obeyed.

Is not God's wrath discipline?

Never.

I don’t have much time to address this now as I am feeding the income machine, but in short, you are conflating wrath and chastening. Wrath is always for the sinner or evildoers and always ends in destruction. Chastening may be grievous for the moment but always yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness and is only for those in the family and always for the purpose of correction not destruction.

If you are utilizing your wrath to chasten or discipline your children, with the intent to instill some sort of physical fear of their father, then there are bigger problems in your home than conflating two entirely separate ideas in Scripture.

. Scripture says what it says. There's no going around it. The wife is to phobeo (fear) her husband
Verse and book and translation used please. Once again the definition of phobos is not only fear. Pick up a biblical Greek dictionary, it will clarify.

So your equaling G-d punishing Eygyptians with disease and death for Harming His people to that idea we should fear of His wrath and that's the basis of our relationship with him, our covenant with Him. After all our relationship with our wives are to be based off our covenant with the L-rd.

How can you say he would do us no harm? Dis you read what I said in relation to King Harrod in the book of Acts? He was eaten by worms and died, is that not Gods wrath and doing "harm"?
Herod, do you think he was a beleiver? There's a big difference in Him punishing those who are against Him, His people and disciplining His people out of love.

From what I'm reading that you said, it doesn't sound like there is any fear, that won't encourage anyone to submit to God or their husbands.
Love and respect and good leadership brings submission. Fear of punishment is not submission it's fear of being punished. There's a big difference in leading a woman and trying to dominate one. If someone is incapable of manifesting the qualities that are necessary to lead it does not justify dominating a woman with fear of punishment.

G-d does tell us to discilpine. In the Torah he sets a code of discipline and how to administer it. He also shows mercy through His actions Time and Time again when it comes to discipline.

There is no Mercy in His Wrath.

Exodus 21:23-25:f there is harm, then you shall pay life for life,eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”

But we are told not to Emulate HiS Wrath but His Mercy. In Matthew 5:38-45, "You have heard that our fathers were told, `Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you not to stand up against someone who does you wrong. On the contrary, if someone hits you on the right cheek, let him hit you on the left cheek too! If someone wants to sue you for your shirt, let him have your coat as well! And if a soldier forces you to carry his pack for one mile, carry it for two! When someone asks you for something, give it to him; when someone wants to borrow something from you, lend it to him. "You have heard that our fathers were told, `Love your neighbors -- and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! Then you will become children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun shine on good and bad people alike, and he sends rain to the righteous and the unrighteous alike.

Those who seek to harm G-ds people should fear the Wrath of G-d.

Those who seek to Emulate the Son should radiate His nature of mercy not wrath.

Last edited:
[URL='http://biblehub.com/1_john/4-15.htm']15Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16[/URL] We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

Observations:

1) Abiding in Love is abiding in God, and God abides in us. This perfects (completes) love.

2) The Purpose for this Love (in this verse), is so we might have confidence in the day of judgment.

3) As opposed to Fear, because Love, when it is perfect, displaces fear.

4) Fear involves punishment

5) One who confesses that Jesus is the Son of God does not fear punishment, nor the day of judgment.

6) Having fear is a symptom of imperfect (incomplete) love.

Verse and book and translation used please.

I'll skip ahead and quote it:

Ephesians 5
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her 26 to sanctify her, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to Himself as a glorious church, without stain or wrinkle or any such blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 Indeed, no one ever hated his own body, but he nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church. 30 For we are members of His body. 31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' 32 This mystery is profound, but I am speaking about Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

(That word is actually phobos, so fear would be a more consistent translation)

SOME OBSERVATIONS:

1) The form of love the husband is to show is to mirror Christ's self sacrificial (submitting to torturous death) Love

2) He is to love his wife like his own body

3) He cleanses her through the word, to present her to himself spotless

4) He is to nourish and cherish her, because Christ nourishes the Church, and cherishes it (worthy of some meditation)

5) The wife is to fear her husband

6) There is no mention of the husband doing anything to elicit that fear

7) While Jesus may indeed punish the Church that sins, that aspect does not seem to be repeated here.

8) The husband has no encouragement to punish his wife to encourage her to fear

9) Rather the fear of the wife seems to be the responsibility of the wife, as in she must see to it that she fears her husband.

Supporting Verse, Mark 6:20
For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.

Herod feared John, but not because John was in any position to punish Herod. He was actually at Herod's complete mercy, which was roughly one stupid decision away from running out. Herod's fear was derived from John's status with God, that he was just and holy. These things meant something to Herod and this caused him to listen and change his behavior. However we are told that Fear involves punishment. My inner Spock tells me that it is logical to extrapolate that Herod's fear of John was rooted in Herod's fear of God. Herod's fear of John was an entirely voluntary one that his brother's wife did not share.

In a similar vein we are told to fear God often in scripture. I believe a wife's fear of her husband ought to be derivative of her fear of God. She should voluntarily fear her husband because she fears God, and does not want to meet with God's disapproval for being disobedient.

With this in mind, even the fear of God is intended to be outgrown. When love is perfected; (and obedience is necessary in love); there is no longer room for fear. One who obeys and abides and loves perfectly can no longer fear. If they still can fear, there is more to grow in Love.

Ephesians 5
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her 26 to sanctify her, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to Himself as a glorious church, without stain or wrinkle or any such blemish, but holy and blameless.

28 In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies.

He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 Indeed, no one ever hated his own body, but he nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church. 30 For we are members of His body. 31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' 32 This mystery is profound, but I am speaking about Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

(That word is actually phobos, so fear would be a more consistent translation)

Love the thought and the presentation @Slumberfreeze
I agree wholeheartedly with the points given, However, within the context, notice the description of the interaction between Christ and the church. There’s nothing to be afraid of and every reason to reverence.

IMO The whole passage is about love. As Christ loved the church, husbands love your wives. We love Him because he first loved us and as we realize and recognize his love and care for us, the result is the perfecting of our love for him which results in an awe and reverence and appreciation for his headship.

The discipline side of the equation is exampled by a loss of fellowship initially and may extend to some form of chastening or correction but never a display of wrath.

There is also a testing aspect that is exampled in this passage. to present her to Himself as a glorious church, without stain or wrinkle or any such blemish, but holy and blameless. This doesn’t happen by osmosis and this result will not be achieved without difficulty any more than a diamond is created without external pressure. IMO this idea of poly is the purest form of pressure for both parties in the marriage to mature us more into the image of Christ. True, there are other ways to test or be tested, but this is the most comprehensive test I’ve found.

To sum it up from Paul’s first letter to the saints at Thessalonica, we are appointed to thilipsis, but are not appointed to orge. (1Thess 3:3 & 1 Thea’s 5:9)

Honestly, I don't disagree for one moment that God is a God of Love. I don't believe wrath is part of God with his people so to speak, but some how me saying what scripture refer to a wife called to fear her husband has started this debate. I run my home out of love and discipline, I was raised the same way and never did I have an issue. I don't believe in wrath in my home but I do follow what we are called to do fear God, and love as he first loved us.

Here's some verses on Fear:

But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
Luke 23:40 KJV

Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes.
Romans 3:16‭-‬18 KJV

There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.
Psalms 14:5 KJV

There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.
Psalms 14:5 KJV

Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him:
Ecclesiastes 8:12 KJV

Back