• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Financial Stability and adding other wives

SerenaJoy82

Female
Hello Sisters,

I was reading 1 Timothy 5, the other day and the verse that always stands out is 1 Timothy 5:8 "But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." If a family is struggling financially, would adding another wife be a possible violation of this Scripture passage, especially if you cross-reference it with Exodus 21:10-11? "
If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

11 And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money."

I am sure that this topic can be expounding upon, but I thought this would be a good starting point.

I think there's a balance to be had. For example, people would say that's a reason to not have many children, that you can't afford it, or you don't know if you'll be able to afford it in the future. But we don't look at money, we look at God. If He says we should have more children, then we do, and He always provides, often in ways we'd never have thought of.
If you really can't afford to have another person in the house then don't go out looking for one. However, if God says "Take this woman, I'll sort out the money later." then you do what you're told.

In my opinion, I don't think that it costs that much more to bring another person into the house anyway. Another woman will help with meals so there's less takeaways, help with gardening so you're buying less food, help with sewing so you're buying less clothes, and maybe even bring an income into the family through making and selling items or working away from home.

You bring up some good points and I should have clarified that it was in context to those seeking a wife. I watched a Documentary on Youtube a while back about a Mormon polygamist that already had 5 wives, the entire family was on welfare and he was seeking another one. I got to thinking about it the other day and thus the question popped into my head. Certainly, a new wife would be able to contribute in the ways of food, clothing and income, that could improve the families situation. I live in a condo, so gardening other than having a couple of boxes on my balcony is a challenge. I am not really savvy with sewing beyond basic mending and repairs, but I do know how to shop smartly at charity shops. The other wife and I have our own homes, he lives primarily with her three hours away, because of his job and I am stuck where I am because of a custody agreement with my ex-husband. I personally like having my own home, as it gives me a degree of independence that I enjoy. Perhaps once my son is 18, either we will combine each wives households and it will save even more money. In the meantime I am going to ask him to talk to his boss about possibly allowing him to work more from home, so we can spend more time together.

You bring up some good points and I should have clarified that it was in context to those seeking a wife. I watched a Documentary on Youtube a while back about a Mormon polygamist that already had 5 wives, the entire family was on welfare and he was seeking another one. I got to thinking about it the other day and thus the question popped into my head. Certainly, a new wife would be able to contribute in the ways of food, clothing and income, that could improve the families situation. I live in a condo, so gardening other than having a couple of boxes on my balcony is a challenge. I am not really savvy with sewing beyond basic mending and repairs, but I do know how to shop smartly at charity shops. The other wife and I have our own homes, he lives primarily with her three hours away, because of his job and I am stuck where I am because of a custody agreement with my ex-husband. I personally like having my own home, as it gives me a degree of independence that I enjoy. Perhaps once my son is 18, either we will combine each wives households and it will save even more money. In the meantime I am going to ask him to talk to his boss about possibly allowing him to work more from home, so we can spend more time together.
I just wanna say that I admire your grit in this situation! It must be tough having him so far away. How often do all of you get to interact as a family? Just curious.

As far as the example of the welfare family, that is bizarre...

His other wife lives her own life and their son is grown and on his own. Other men would have put her away, but my husband refuses to do that with her I pray that she will come around and we can live more like a real family. We see each other once or twice a month at the moment. My ex-husband was abusive and controlling and even though we are no longer together, is using our son and the court to still try and control me, by restricting where we can live and thus limiting my employment opportunities. God has got this though and I am praying for my husband's conversion to Christ, as well as his other wife and son. As far as the documentary I found it on Youtube. I think it shows how not to do plural marriage...

His other wife lives her own life and their son is grown and on his own. Other men would have put her away, but my husband refuses to do that with her I pray that she will come around and we can live more like a real family. We see each other once or twice a month at the moment. My ex-husband was abusive and controlling and even though we are no longer together, is using our son and the court to still try and control me, by restricting where we can live and thus limiting my employment opportunities. God has got this though and I am praying for my husband's conversion to Christ, as well as his other wife and son. As far as the documentary I found it on Youtube. I think it shows how not to do plural marriage...
I will join you in praying for them...❤

Agreed...

Neither could I, but others make it work. Sometimes the hubby is away a lot for work, driving a truck etc. What I love about PM is the flexibility, and the fact than no family or marriage is the same. People make it work for them.
It allows many of us to maintain some degree of independence and autonomy, while still having a male authority figure and covering.

Back