• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

First post! and Rosh Hashanah

Absolutely. My friend and I are in Israel for this holiday season. We came up for Sukkot, mainly, as that is the pilgrim festival, but got Yom Kippur and Yom Teruakh as an added bonus. It is one of the reasons I started the thread "Up to Jerusalem". I was curious if anyone else might be in the land. I blew my Shofar in Jerusalem a few hours before the actual festival, and then again in Ashqelon to usher in Yom Teruakh.

I intended to celebrate.
That's righteousness in our Western culture, right?

Is anybody else trying to observe the feast? I am working so I've pretty much blown it for another year.

:( I feel your pain Revolting brother... I am worked like a dog also and miss out on a lot! ... But it's what we providers do... by the sweat of our brow.

At least the wife and kids are stoked they don't have to do any work today. :D

Is anybody else trying to observe the feast? I am working so I've pretty much blown it for another year.
Of course!!!!
It's not just a good idea it's the Law!

************next part not directed at you @ZecAustin just I don't wanna double post so I'll do it here*********
You guys who didn't take off from work etc. now I'm going to rebuke you as we are commanded to in the Torah.
I'm assuming if you are posting in here you have the sincere belief that you are required to keep the Law of Moses.
Please take this the right way, American companies will work with you usually on "sincerely held religious beliefs". Especially if you don't wait till the last minute, you plan ahead, and you offer to swap valuable things like time.
I offered employers to work Sundays so I could get Shabbat, work Christmas so I could get Yom Kippur, etc.
When it says "ahavta et Adonai b'khol levavkha" love The L-rd with all your heart...
loving is demonstrated by keeping His commands.
Rosh Hoshannah (Yom Teruah) is super important and holy and a great opportunity to celebrate.
If you screwed up and worked, make teshuvah (repentance) and eat some cake with your family tonight and begin the process of "yomim noraiyim" days of Awe.
These next 10 days are a count down to Yom Kippur, the day of atonement and this is a serious time. We need to examine ourselves how we behaved this past year, and try to make peace with anyone we sinned against. If you didn't schedule to take of Yom Kippur yet, DO IT NOW.
That's the big one baby; super holy; give it to Him as a sacrific.
I'm forcing myself to stop writing now. You guys know better than this.
Let's be better to demonstrate our love for Abba!
Let's live better this new year!

May your names be inscribed for a good and sweet year!

Last edited:
:( I feel your pain Revolting brother... I am worked like a dog also and miss out on a lot! ... But it's what we providers do... by the sweat of our brow.

At least the wife and kids are stoked they don't have to do any work today. :D

Yeah but I was very convicted about this and I was not obedient. I was scared to ask off. We've been working Sabbaths too recently and I haven't put my foot down because I'm worried about losing my job. But then I haven't gone to look for a new one either so I'm definitely not fulfilling this calling.

Yeah but I was very convicted about this and I was not obedient. I was scared to ask off. We've been working Sabbaths too recently and I haven't put my foot down because I'm worried about losing my job. But then I haven't gone to look for a new one either so I'm definitely not fulfilling this calling.
Love your biblical response to "group rebuke" brother.
I will be praying for Hashem to give you favor at your work or in finding a job which will accommodate your sincerely held beliefs. May this be a year of blessings for you and your family and may He even send you a higher wage!

Love your biblical response to "group rebuke" brother.
I will be praying for Hashem to give you favor at your work or in finding a job which will accommodate your sincerely held beliefs. May this be a year of blessings for you and your family and may He even send you a higher wage!

Now that was the kindest thing any one has said or done for me in a while. Thank you.

I've felt some conviction too brother. I have a decent relationship with some management at my job and they do try to work with me on holy days. But I still occasionally end up working some Sabbaths sadly. (I'm basically on call 24/7 and work 12 hours on then around 10 to 14 hours off.)

God has actually been really good to me recently in this area though. Seems like I end up being home before the sun goes down Friday night for erev Shabbat with my precious family. Then I don't get called in til later in the day on Saturday afternoon / evening! He is with us and for us and He knows my heart and our desire to honor Him...

One thought I've had lately though is wether I could write a letter to the company (or someone high up) to request to be excused from work when I need to for religious reasons. It seems like we live in a day where all sorts of exceptions are made for people in the work place to due personal beliefs and so on....Sometimes It really is hard to break out of the mind set and work ethic my daddy raised me with though.

Back