• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

First steps to regaining some of what was lost.

Nikud

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Attention All Prayer Warriors:

I've been thinking and praying for guidance about a dream my wife and I have. The Goal is to raise enough money to buy land for a three fold purpose.

Purpose 1 is to have a small homestead for my family to be self sufficient, goats, sheep, chickens, small orchard, small vineyard and a dozen or so acres to plant sustainable crops, for my family, a few food banks and to provide organic non GMO healthly food for Purpose 3.

Purpose 2 is to set aside some land to build cabins for new beleivers in need, expecially those with children, and to have some land for them to work together as a community, think Book of Acts, to provide for themselves while maturing in their relationship with God as they get back on their feet. This would also include life lessons like making and sticking to a budget.

Purpose 3 would be to have some land set aside for a Biblical Bootcamp, eventually a Men's Camp and a place to host Church, Business or Other retreats. When I say Biblical bootcamp think military basic training. The purpose of Military basic training is to break you down to rebuild you. The purpose of a Biblical Bootcamp is to strip the ways of the world away so that God can restore you. It is ment to be an intense encounter with God. No real free time. Lesson then a 30 minute alone time with God in the woods. Then disscusion and then on to the next lesson repeat. It will adress the wounds that people have that keep them from fully surrendering to the Lord, the facades people use to hide their true self, what it means to receive the Ruach HaKodesh and be born again (start with Eziekiel 36:26, Joel 2:28 and work through the Acts and Epistles of the Apostles), The Fruit and Gifts of the Holy Spirit, Spiritual Warfare, understanding what it means to be marked by God (see Deut. 15:17), how to reclaim our authentic God given heart, what it means to walk the Ancient Paths (see Jeremiah 6:16), and understanding Yeshua through the Tabernacle.

I had been trying to buy one of two Retreat camps. One in Missouri and one in Tennessee. One has title issues and the other, most of the buildings won't past inspection so the VA denied the loan. So they are off the table. We're looking at the cost of land and building. It's not pocketchange. I found 114 acres of raw land, rich sandy loam, with a pond close to a lake for a little over $200,000 in Taylor county, Texas. Then add in the expenses of building. I may be able to get a VA aguicultral buisness loan but that means we'd have to sell our house first, something we're not in a position to do just yet, and I am hoping to use it as a rent house when we move. Our savings went into buying the house and I need to make it back. Right after we bought the house, A medical company that I was invested in went bankrupt and other stocks I have took a hit and haven't recovered, so the cash flow isnt what it use to be, so I'm looking for options. I have some money coming to me when a family property is sold (inheritance) but I'm not sure when that is going to happen. I have also been considering a Go fund me page, suggested by @Pacman, but I don't know much about that or if people would actually donate money (this is not a request for funds from anyone on the forum, just prayer and suggestions). I just know this is path that the Holy Spirit is leading me down. I know that God will provide the way, I just need ideas, some prayers for discernment and that I receive clear instruction on How and When to proceed.

I love your plans, ours have some of the same elements.
I’m praying for it to happen.

I've been thinking and praying for guidance about a dream my wife and I have. The Goal is to raise enough money to buy land for a three fold purpose.

Purpose 1 is to have a small homestead for my family to be self sufficient, goats, sheep, chickens, small orchard, small vineyard and a dozen or so acres to plant sustainable crops, for my family, a few food banks and to provide organic non GMO healthly food for Purpose 3.

Purpose 2 is to set aside some land to build cabins for new beleivers in need, expecially those with children, and to have some land for them to work together as a community, think Book of Acts, to provide for themselves while maturing in their relationship with God as they get back on their feet. This would also include life lessons like making and sticking to a budget.

Purpose 3 would be to have some land set aside for a Biblical Bootcamp, eventually a Men's Camp and a place to host Church, Business or Other retreats. When I say Biblical bootcamp think military basic training. The purpose of Military basic training is to break you down to rebuild you. The purpose of a Biblical Bootcamp is to strip the ways of the world away so that God can restore you. It is ment to be an intense encounter with God. No real free time. Lesson then a 30 minute alone time with God in the woods. Then disscusion and then on to the next lesson repeat. It will adress the wounds that people have that keep them from fully surrendering to the Lord, the facades people use to hide their true self, what it means to receive the Ruach HaKodesh and be born again (start with Eziekiel 36:26, Joel 2:28 and work through the Acts and Epistles of the Apostles), The Fruit and Gifts of the Holy Spirit, Spiritual Warfare, understanding what it means to be marked by God (see Deut. 15:17), how to reclaim our authentic God given heart, what it means to walk the Ancient Paths (see Jeremiah 6:16), and understanding Yeshua through the Tabernacle.

I had been trying to buy one of two Retreat camps. One in Missouri and one in Tennessee. One has title issues and the other, most of the buildings won't past inspection so the VA denied the loan. So they are off the table. We're looking at the cost of land and building. It's not pocketchange. I found 114 acres of raw land, rich sandy loam, with a pond close to a lake for a little over $200,000 in Taylor county, Texas. Then add in the expenses of building. I may be able to get a VA aguicultral buisness loan but that means we'd have to sell our house first, something we're not in a position to do just yet, and I am hoping to use it as a rent house when we move. Our savings went into buying the house and I need to make it back. Right after we bought the house, A medical company that I was invested in went bankrupt and other stocks I have took a hit and haven't recovered, so the cash flow isnt what it use to be, so I'm looking for options. I have some money coming to me when a family property is sold (inheritance) but I'm not sure when that is going to happen. I have also been considering a Go fund me page, suggested by @Pacman, but I don't know much about that or if people would actually donate money (this is not a request for funds from anyone on the forum, just prayer and suggestions). I just know this is path that the Holy Spirit is leading me down. I know that God will provide the way, I just need ideas, some prayers for discernment and that I receive clear instruction on How and When to proceed.
That is wonderful Kevin I will pray you find the right property and all your financial needs are met.
Shalom

Love it! Praying for breakthrough.

I have a very similar vision. Praying.

Praying. I've also had elements of that same vision.

I've spent a lot of time searching for and buying land, so I'll chip in a few suggestions from my experience...

God seems to have shut doors to you on the bank loans. Consider that a blessing in disguise (owe no man anything). Keep praying about it and if God wills He will open doors for you to succeed. God is far more able to provide than any human bank.

Property advertised as a retreat center is likely to be priced higher due to infrastructure. And anything with a house means the cost will go way up because it's far easier for people to get a loan on it. Look for bare land; you could get a place of sufficient size for but a fraction of 200k.

Mobile homes can often be had free to cheap. The most expensive part will be moving it unless the state/county requires a foundation and septic system. That takes care of your families housing needs until you have the funds to build fancier if you so desire. You can often find land with antiquated, depreciated agricultural buildings which basically sell at land cost; these often can be re-purposed for the kinds of things a retreat place needs. Shops, pole barns and barns all work well for this. Old barns are often turned into event centers; I've heard from several there is a booming trade in hosting weddings in old barns. I've even seen people turn chicken coops and graineries into office or meeting spaces; its all in how you do the finish work and tell the story.

Also look for land near / adjacent to public lands; that gets you access to much larger area to use for activities so you don't need so big a property. Don't necessarily look for places advertised as such, they'll want a premium. Rather look for areas with that feature and then see what agricultural listings are around. There are places that have public lands but aren't known as tourist areas and so the prices will be lower; it will take research to find these. Look at the price/acre. It generally goes down as size goes up but the affect peters out as properties get bigger. There is usually a break point around 20 or 40 acres (in the east) that matters the most, below which land price/acre goes way up.

Since you're looking in multiple states, that gets you a lot of flexibility to find spots where the market is depressed. Even within one state there can be as much as a 3 or 4 fold difference in ag land prices; 10 fold if it's near a major metro area. And in places where the market is depressed enough land contracts become an option. When you find a target area, figure out who the local ag realtor is; there is usually 1 or 2 guys who get all the good listings and they're often not in the big MLS websites.

In some places the cheapest land is forested, which not only makes for good retreat settings, but can be profitably harvested. In many places, this land will make good pasture or even crop ground (a lot here depends on the local history and agronomy).

If you don't have the cash to buy a place with buildings or pay someone to build do it look at building your own. You can even make it a function of the retreat (men working together, building things, it's what we do). Look for a place with some trees, but maybe not so much that it drives up the value from demand by hunters, and rocks, lots of rocks. Preferably in the form of field stones piles and in the field. It won't sell well as corn ground and that is free building material. Certain parts of several states have lots of properties like this. Cut lumber for rafters, put up rock walls...most of your construction materials are now free. And tornado proof. A rock building will stand an EF4, EF5 will only remove the root (that's useful since you're looking in tornado country). Also rock and timber frame style construction has a feel to it, that's almost spiritual. You don't need dormitories and the like to house men. Tents, stone huts, tiny log cabins, bunk houses, brush huts, etc will work just fine; it's all in how you market it. A few other cheap, but labor intensive, alternative construction methods using free resources from your land are cob, strawbale, and cordword.

We had our farm and started to work to this. Paperwork wasn't finished by my grandfather for transfer of deed before he died. His will vanished and the greed of one person effected the whole family. It still is. But God is good and His will wont be thwarted.

If you don't have the cash to buy a place with buildings or pay someone to build do it look at building your own. You can even make it a function of the retreat (men working together, building things, it's what we do). Look for a place with some trees, but maybe not so much that it drives up the value from demand by hunters, and rocks, lots of rocks. Preferably in the form of field stones piles and in the field. It won't sell well as corn ground and that is free building material. Certain parts of several states have lots of properties like this. Cut lumber for rafters, put up rock walls...most of your construction materials are now free. And tornado proof. A rock building will stand an EF4, EF5 will only remove the root (that's useful since you're looking in tornado country). Also rock and timber frame style construction has a feel to it, that's almost spiritual. You don't need dormitories and the like to house men. Tents, stone huts, tiny log cabins, bunk houses, brush huts, etc will work just fine; it's all in how you market it. A few other cheap, but labor intensive, alternative construction methods using free resources from your land are cob, strawbale, and cordword.
I had been considering a "primitive" Biblical BCT style camp. With only a few permanent natural material structures.

We had our farm and started to work to this. Paperwork wasn't finished by my grandfather for transfer of deed before he died. His will vanished and the greed of one person effected the whole family. It still is. But God is good and His will wont be thwarted.

I had been considering a "primitive" Biblical BCT style camp. With only a few permanent natural material structures.

I'm sorry to hear that about your family.

There is something to the idea of going with a primitive approach. It appeals to men. It's something we don't get enough of. Many men experience God best through nature. Few people today are pushed to their limits of survival and endurance; or at least discomforts. We're too posh and pampered. It is in being pushed to our limits we gain true perspective on who we are an life.

Back