• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

For all the vegans...

Oh my, good thing for me my head is disproportionatlely large to begin with!! :lol:

YES!!!!! Score one for us meat-eaters! Answers a lot of questions about the hippies too.

Lack of protein is bad... On the other hand I have a vegetarian cousin who is extremely bright, but he isn't vegan, he doesn't preach it on others, and if he's in a social situation that serves meat he'll take part as not to offend. So, I'm thinking he's a lot different than most vegetarians, and definitely vegans...

Yeah, vegetarians aren't that bad. It's the vegans I don't get along with.

Most of the vegetarians I've met are vegetarians for weird reasons. I worked with a girl who was vegetarian because she tried McDonald's McNuggets one time and they were horrible. My cousin's wife is vegetarian because she tried a hotdog and it tasted bad. McNuggets and hotdogs aren't even real meat! I told them to come over one day and I'd make them my Chicken Parmesiana. That'd change their attitudes about meat real quick.

Yeah, my cousin had an iron deficiency and had to eat almost raw liver for about six months, I think that had something to do with his change. Overall though he does it well and has a deep knowledge of good cheese which is very useful.

Veganism I can't even understand though. Why? Just Why? Chicken eggs are almost always unfertilized, milking doesn't hurt a cow in the slightest. Animal products are very nutritious.

Mc'nuggies and hot dogs (except good ones) are barely in the meat category if even they can fit there. Chicken Parmesiana sounds wonderful, now I want to make some Feta Chicken or Tandoori Chicken... Take that Vegans!

Um ... I'm a vegetarian like Tlaloc's cousin. Lacto-ovo, with rare forays into meat when socially less bothersome. But I'm interested in sensible veganism for those who do so in an informed manner.

Yes, I too have heard horror stories of folks who made themselves truly ill trying to be vegetarians or vegans without knowing what they're doing.

I've also met folks who became sensible vegans and a couple years later, their sleep requirement is down to like 3 hours, and they're bursting with energy. One fella ended up in the hospital via a close encounter between vehicles *grin*, and he had a hard time getting any rest -- the doctors and dieticians kept bugging him to know what he did and ate and ... because when they looked at his blood under microscope it was so impossibly healthy and pure.

What keeps nagging at the back of my mind is that some years ago, while at a fasting retreat (12 days water only), a doctor brought out a 3 page list of "diseases" that were all associated with the use of dairy -- milk & cheese. In each case, eliminate dairy from the diet, and the disease basically goes away.

Haven't yet done it myself, and can't see taking it to the extreme of avoiding bee products such as honey, but ... it keeps nagging at me. Might solve the diabetes.

For whatever it is worth, I have noticed that when I go without dairy for several days, the diabetes-caused pain in my hands subsides. But let me then eat my share of a pizza (or a bit more), or lasagna, and they'll flair up something awful.

*shrug* More grist for the thinkin'.

Cecil,
I liked you before you said that. lol, Just kidding.

Personally speaking I have only had bad experiences with vegans in the past. The ones I have run across have been very "cult" like though. Looking down on you in a sort of "You're going to hell for using animal products" kind of way. If people choose to be vegan that is fine with me. As long as they do not look at me like the scum of the earth. Shoot, lots of people already think I am weird for holding to scriptural dietary laws, but it does not offend me for other people to eat pork and shellfish or even have it at a meal. I am just not going to eat it.

There was an interesting study that I think Nathan posted about vegetarians and vegans having smaller brain masses due to their diet. No offense, I was just reminded of it again.

"a doctor brought out a 3 page list of "diseases" that were all associated with the use of dairy -- milk & cheese. In each case, eliminate dairy from the diet, and the disease basically goes away."

Those problems are related to how the body cannot process the milk after it has been ruined by the homogenization and pasteurization. It is now plastic that is put into your stomach. We switched to raw milk and all of our violently lactose intolerant children CHUG AWAY and eat the homemade cheese and butter like it was candy. Even the 16 month old loves it, much to the dismay of our doctor. In addition, our daughter that had exema and doctor prescribed breathing treatments now has clear skin and no treatments since being on the raw milk. Our youngest three have never been to the doctor for eye, ear, nose, throat, or anything other than routine checkups.

Dairyfarmer, where are you?

RAW MILK, it does a body good.

Ssshhhhhh!!!! Do not be telling people that. I deliver pastuerized and homogenized milk for one of my jobs. lol, just kidding. But I agree. I like the raw and real milk better than the processed stuff. Now when you get into the UHT milk, that is when it get's even weirder.

the problem i have with veganism is what makes it different from vegitarianism; the belief that it is unethical to use animals in any way. that directly goes against the order by God for man to take dominion over the earth and all life on it, any belief system that denies this is not of God, and by definition anti-christ.

Taking exception, if I may...

There are definitely folks who gravitate towards vegetarianism, or the more extreme veganism, with those ethical motivations.

There are also folks who, pure and simply, figure it makes sense from a health point of view. Even, more or less, veganism. (As mentioned, I can't see rejecting bee products. That's just plain ridiculous to me, though if it floats someone's boat ...) Obviously I fall somewhere in this group. (Though KOREAN BBQ BEEF, bul-go-gi, well, it calls my name!)

I have, however, heard that raw milk has great effects. Would like to try it sometime.

Btw, Todd, you might be right to worry about me. I am indeed weird. Believe in PM, ya know. Married a wife with 4 kids AND rheir dad still living. (Got the legal scars for our efforts, but did prevail -- the guy is seriously nuts!) Homeschooled my own for a while when they were young, right around the time of Waco. STILL homeschooling myself!!!! Ya gotta watch out for citizens like me. They're not so easy to govern, ya know! *grin*

I strongly second Paul about pasteurized dairy. (Tieing this in with another topic, its crazy that I live in a country that has come very close to legalizing MJ but raids people that try to sell raw milk...)

I would say either veganism or vegetarianism brought out of the motives kmelt describes is as bad as kmelt says. But not all vegetarians have such said motivation, and I suppose its possible not all vegans do, but a hardcore vegan would have a problem with bee's honey by definition. Cecil, you're probably more along the lines of 'health conscious' than anything.

Raw milk is a lot better for you and the taste is something to beg for. I was raised on raw milk and my children have been also. That is 44 years of drinking unsafe milk. My son is almost 16, born at home and has never been to the doctor for a sickness. My little girl was born 11 weeks premature. Once we brought her home she has not been back to the doctor for an illness. I guess if we ever quit milking cows our family would quit drinking milk and be at the doctors all the time. I have been reading that some folks have a hard time sleeping. One sure cure, come help us on the farm. We start at 4:30 am and finish at 9:30 pm if we have a good day. Now this is 7 days a week, no holidays. When you work that hard you had better eat some kind of meat. :lol:

Dairyfarmer

DukeOfMarshall said:
Yeah, vegetarians aren't that bad.
do they really taste like chicken???????

I am a Vegetarian and Vegan leaning.

Not for ethical reasons. If I needed a chicken a day to be healthy I would kill one myself.

No it is truly a health issue.

The CDC attributes over 50% of deaths in America to be caused by two main culprits.

Heart Disease and Cancer

Heart disease is a condition caused primarily from LDL cholesterol. You do not get that from plants my friend.
Cancer, is thought to be caused by carcinogens. The number one source of carcinogens is cooked meat.

...but that is not why I went Vegetarian, just something I learned later.

I recently became safeserv certified. It certifies basically that I know how to keep people healthy in my kitchen.
99% of the food borne illnesses were directly a result of meat or meat in the process.

...but that is not why either...

I weighed 270 lbs (I am 5'7"). I was working at a chicken sandwich place. There I served these old people many were over weight, couldn't walk well, and couldn't see well. Many of them needed help getting their food to the tables.

I visited a local store here called Hallelujah Acres a few years back. So I am checking this cooky place out, when this group of geriatrics come in, no glasses, no shuffle step, no need to help them with the simple grocery items they were getting. These were health and robust elderly folks, and I thought to myself, if I have to get old I want to be old like these guys.

That day, I bought a book, "Why Christians Get Sick" by George Malkmus. It changed my life. I highly recommend it.

Yes, you will lose weight on the diet, but much more than that. There is more energy, greater health. I literally haven't been sick when I was living the diet. Younger people around me fall out sick and I keep going.

Anyway you can make fun of Vegans, but really that was the diet designed for us.

Gen 1:29 And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

Not sure that you can attribute no sickness to a vegetable only diet. After all, I don't get sick and I eat plenty of meat. Although I do abide by the dietary laws though. Plus, I was even immune to anthrax at one time.

I attribute my no sickness to a healthy diet of germs. My body's immune system is strong from that.

Not that 10 days would be sufficient to know...but...

Daniel 1:11-16 Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had assigned over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, "Test your servants for ten days; let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance and the appearance of the youths who eat the king's food be observed by you, and deal with your servants according to what you see." So he listened to them in this matter, and tested them for ten days. At the end of ten days it was seen that they were better in appearance and fatter in flesh than all the youths who ate the king's food. So the steward took away their food and the wine they were to drink, and gave them vegetables.

todd,
yes, bacteria makes our universe work

scarecrow,
if only we knew what food they were eating! what could it possibly be that abstaining from it for 10 days would cause a visible improvement in ones health? chocolate?(they will pry that from my cold dead hands ;) ) the only thing that is identified is wine, and it is vegan!

i finally figured out that our Creator created machines whose job it is to turn vast numbers of acres of roughage into very compact sources of storeable energy. a lot of them are listed under the catagory of bovines, the first International Harvesters :D

H6598 פּתבּג pathbag - is the word used...

H6598
פּתבּג
pathbag
path-bag'
Of Persian origin; a dainty: - portion (provision) of meat.

Back