• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support For first-wives having problems

Poodles

Real Person
Female
For all first-wives having problems accepting this lifestyle, you are not alone. I know you feel that way because you are so caught up in the merry-go-round of emotions common to all first wives. Honestly, these feelings get better over time IF they are dealt with now. A lot of your feelings of rejection, abandonment, loss of everything you held dear, loss of your hope for the future and your expectations of growing old together, etc. are simply dealt with, but not easily done. What I mean is it is simple in the understanding, but difficult to do (and consistently do when they come back to haunt you).
First things first: Cry out to God. Ask Him for forgiveness for your anger, frustration, blowing up at your husband, feeling sorry for yourself, and for doubting God's plan for your life. Seriously, seek God's guidance. In God's plan for husbands and wives, husbands are in charge, and they make the final decision. So, we must listen to them and change our behaviors to suit the new plan for your marriage, from that of monogamous to that of polyginy.
Secondly: realize that feelings are neither right nor wrong, they just are. Your response and behaviors to those feelings are right or wrong. You must take every feeling apart, examine it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Make a list of pros and cons for each feeling, is it worth reacting to?
Thirdly: you know how you are feeling, but what is she feeling? She is coming into a happy home, one that is several or many years old, and she doesn't know what to expect. Both of you love the same man and he loves each of you. She could be experiencing the same emotions you are. So, you both should put your best efforts forth to find ways to get along.
Fourthly: set boundaries. Figure out your sleeping arrangements, sharing household chores, yardwork, childcare, shopping, cooking, etc. Don't criticize each other, don't speak badly about each other, pray for one another.
Fifthly: everything rests on your husband's shoulders. It is up to him to love each of you enough to help you through this time. He needs to be close to the Lord, praying daily, seeking God's guidance. He needs to set aside at least one night a week to take each of you out for a date night.
The reality is that you have two monogamous marriages under one roof. Each is separate but you have to interact graciously with each other in order for the house to run well. Thus, you must communicate with her daily. We found that family meetings helped. Also, Bible studies helped as well.
Whenever there is a change in your life, you will need time to adjust. When a new baby comes to the home, older siblings need time to adjust and often it takes a lot of time for them to do that. When your husband gets a new job miles away from your home, and you have to move, that takes time. Life is full of changes, and we must be willing to adapt, to be flexible, to accept what is to be with patience, love, and kindness. As Christians, we must live our lives with grace and humility, waiting on God, seeking His Guidance and His Will for our lives. Seriously read Chapter 13 in First Corinthians in the Bible. Try to emulate those Fruits of the Spirit. Your life will change, you will be able to control your mind and emotions, and you will experience peace.
Our husband would talk with each of us to see what we needed in our lives to get along with the other woman and would calmly come up with solutions to our problems. Now, we all talk together about everything. We, my sister-wife and I, shop often and always together. We have Bible study every night. It is possible to have a wonderful life in this lifestyle. You just have to trust God, your husband, and your sister-wife (this will come with time). If you can have open communication with her, the two of you together can work with your husband as a three-strand rope in the kingdom of God.

Even going out alone with your husband to the library, to watch the sunset, to see a soccer or baseball practice at the local park can count as a night out when finances are tight. Just spending quality time is a premium need of the wife.

Even going out alone with your husband to the library, to watch the sunset, to see a soccer or baseball practice at the local park can count as a night out when finances are tight. Just spending quality time is a premium need of the wife.
I'm not disagreeing about the importance of time together. When I took my first wife we agreed she would be wife, mother, and homemaker. For extra income God gave me two jobs, I worked an average 97 hours a week, but up to 103 hours sometimes. If I wasn't working, I was asleep. Quality time for my wife was hearing me snore, and even now, my wives like to hear me snore because it means I'm resting. For those living in a country like the USA, having a date night might be a reasonable expectation, but some live in more difficult situations where time and finances might be very limited. Shalom

Thank you for the wise counsel and encouragement, @Poodles.
I second that!!
This will very much depend on personal situations. It may, however, become an unrealistic expectation to a wife or wives when time or money prohibit. Shalom
A walk after dinner with me would count as a date and cost nothing but a bit of time and planning.
One night the three of us read over some question cards from "Let's Get Deep" (question cards for couples) and I loved hearing their answers. I would pick that again at least one "date" a month over time alone with him.....because the togetherness and getting to know each other was sweet too!

My point is dates don't have to be expensive....they just need to make someone feel they were worth some time and effort.

Bingo!

I am curious...

Does anyone have any thoughts about the same issue but with respect to second/third wives? Yeah it is a different scenario and there is not the perception that one is betrayed or shelved etc but there can still be an enormous amount of overlap in that diagram.

What if the first wife is cool with it but other wives have a hard time sharing, does anyone think the advice should be different?

I am curious...

Does anyone have any thoughts about the same issue but with respect to second/third wives? Yeah it is a different scenario and there is not the perception that one is betrayed or shelved etc but there can still be an enormous amount of overlap in that diagram.

What if the first wife is cool with it but other wives have a hard time sharing, does anyone think the advice should be different?
I am a first wife, but I have talked with a few second wives and it is interesting that when a possible 3rd or 4th is talked about the one usually having the hardest time is the 2nd wife. There are definitely a lot of similar emotions going on for her, just like the first wife had to deal with when she joined the family. I think what @Poodles suggests can be used by a 2nd to remember what is important and keep things in proper perspective as the family grows.

This is so true! Many of our “date nights” consist of grocery shopping/Sam’s Club trips. Something we have to do anyway—that we can do together. ❤️

I am curious...

Having the experience of having both a 2nd and 3rd in our home, and being open about all of our struggles, Poodles’ post can definitely be applied to every wife no matter the place.

I am a first wife, but I have talked with a few second wives and it is interesting that when a possible 3rd or 4th is talked about the one usually having the hardest time is the 2nd wife. There are definitely a lot of similar emotions going on for her, just like the first wife had to deal with when she joined the family. I think what @Poodles suggests can be used by a 2nd to remember what is important and keep things in proper perspective as the family grows.
So it always last wife having issue?

What is with these women? He won't need any more women after ME.

Last edited:
This is so true! Many of our “date nights” consist of grocery shopping/Sam’s Club trips. Something we have to do anyway—that we can do together. ❤️
Not a romantic.

Where did soul and little sensuality hide?

I would rather eat ice cream in bed. There are way more romantic options here.

What is with these women? We won't need any more women after ME.
It’s not unexpected when girls are raised to expect to be pretty much worshipped.
Shucks, we ALL want to feel special.

Not a romantic.

1. I said “many” not “all”.
2. Call me special, but I have no difficulty finding “romance” in all different kinds of activities as long as I’m with my love. Maybe not all have that ability. 🤷‍♀️

Of course. It’s female nature. Women seek and need stability and security. Another woman coming into the picture inherently means the possibility of a threat that the man will stop caring about her and give his provision and protection to the new one.

Some women have the strength of character and will to overcome that natural knee jerk response. But most will suffer normal emotions about the situation.

Yes, sometimes, this IS their mentality. And it’s unfortunate.
But it’s important to remember that, just like with the first wives, grace is a good gift here. And that even though wives may feel this way in the beginning, those who stick around, usually grow from this experience and become better people.

Not a romantic.

I think it’s always key to remember that not everyone is the same, especially women. So what one woman might need for quality time or even romance will differ from the next. You find eating ice cream in bed or other options better, whereas I would hate to eat messy ice cream in bed. lol

I find most security, quality time, and most loved when I’m doing a project with my husband. When I am able to be there to hand him tools, hold the flashlight, working outside together, or in the kitchen. Being able to have a purpose at his side, able to help him and make things easier, knowing he appreciates me being there… goodness to me that’s way more romantic than any jewelry, any date, or anything like that. So we are all just different. :)

You find eating ice cream in bed or other options better, whereas I would hate to eat messy ice cream in bed.
I don’t find ice cream to be a problem, it’s the cookies that go along with it. 😉

Back