• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fostering a Positive Self-Image as a Wife in Polygyny

Since their stated aim is to "foster an environment of self-love,..." I wouldn't encourage any women of God to be involved. The summary of all the commandments is twofold; to love God unreservedly and to love one's neighbour (c.f. Matt. 22:37-40). Self-love is never given as an aim to be fostered.

The summary of all the commandments is twofold; to love God unreservedly and to love one's neighbour... as yourself.
The problem is that people that don't love or value self often don't care at all for others either. People reckless with their own life, too often kill others as well.

The problem is that people that don't love or value self often don't care at all for others either. People reckless with their own life, too often kill others as well.
Yes, "as youself". People already love themselves. Paul cateragized one aspect of these last days saying, For men will be lovers of themselves,... (2 Tim. 3:2). That's an ungodly characteristic, not a godly one.

However, we read in Mark 8:34, When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. To deny self and take up the means of self-mortification is quite contrary to loving self. Cheers

Could be worth to scout them.

Just because they are false believers doesn'tvmeqn they are wrong in everything.

Besides, it would be worth to hear their experiences of polygyny. We Christians have even less experience.
No doubt something could be gleaned from them, but it would require discernment. People are right to caution here. It's not fit for a new or a weak believer in Christ, nevermind anything to do with marriage. I should have checked it out first and added my own word of caution, but I was too hasty. I appreciate others looking into it and sounding the alarm.

Not saying anything about the content quality or value. Just giving context to their content by showing their worldview.

Yes, "as youself". People already love themselves. Paul cateragized one aspect of these last days saying, For men will be lovers of themselves,... (2 Tim. 3:2). That's an ungodly characteristic, not a godly one.

However, we read in Mark 8:34, When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. To deny self and take up the means of self-mortification is quite contrary to loving self. Cheers
I agree. I don’t know if everyone means the same thing by “self love”, but as I see it generally used in the world today it is antithetical to the commands of Christ. In the sense that one needs to feed, clothe, and bathe themselves in order to live and therefore be able to love others, I suppose that makes sense. That is specifically what Paul said people do already. However, it generally seems to be used is as a way to numb a person’s heart from the convicting work of the Holy Spirit.

False self love statement: “You are wonderful and amazing just the way you are”.

True statement: Your heart is deceitfully wicked above all things and you desperately need a Savior.

False self love statement: “you shouldn’t feel ashamed of the bad things you’ve done because everyone does bad things”

True statement: The Holy Spirit Uses our conscience to convict us of our sin. You SHOULD feel shame when you do bad things, or even when you do good things with bad motives.

Just because they are false believers doesn't mean they are wrong in everything.
Just as . . . just because we believe we aren't false believers doesn't mean we're correct in everything.

No doubt something could be gleaned from them, but it would require discernment. People are right to caution here. It's not fit for a new or a weak believer in Christ, nevermind anything to do with marriage. I should have checked it out first and added my own word of caution, but I was too hasty. I appreciate others looking into it and sounding the alarm.
What you shared was valuable.

If the standard is having to meet the high-minded spiritual certainty of every participant on these forums, then there would only be OPs and no chatter.

Cowardly.

Are Muslims so big threat to Christians that talking to them is dangerous?

Cowardly.

Are Muslims so big threat to Christians that talking to them is dangerous?
Obtuse.

I said new or weak believers. To let loose a link like that without a warning and with an apparent endorsement could cause the Word to be snatched from someone unprepared. The depth and subtlety of lies that a mature believer might be able to wade through without being deceived in order to glean some truth would drown an infant Christian.

Obtuse.

I said new or weak believers. To let loose a link like that without a warning and with an apparent endorsement could cause the Word to be snatched from someone unprepared. The depth and subtlety of lies that a mature believer might be able to wade through without being deceived in order to glean some truth would drown an infant Christian.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor. And vice versa.

And sometimes it's almost automatic to assume that one is on the top floor.

Back