• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Getting "married" to a non-US citizen

Congratulations!

Proverbs 18:22 He who finds a wife finds a good thing,
And obtains favor from the Lord

Divorce (i.e.terminating your commitment to one another) must be ruled out of either of your thinking. Don't begin your future together by planning for your failure! Bad idea. Determine together before God that you will make your relationship work for His honour and glory, and trust Him for the outcome. He is faithful. 1 Cor. 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Shalom to you both.
It is completely ruled out. But does that mean you shouldn't prepare for the worst?

For the immigration side of I things, I suggest READING EVERYTHING ON THE IMMIGRATION site you can. know every DETAIL in and out otherwise you can really get yourself in a quite a situation that will make things REALLY difficult if you don't. I have heard of people just assuming it will be a easy 1,2,3 process and not worry about but then get into the process of it and really end up in quite a tough stressful process. things may have changed since I saw the info on this bouncing around but if you marry her overseas then apply for the US immigration process they will make her stay in her home country and NOT be able to leave until the paperwork process is complete, and depending how backed up the system is, it could be 9 months plus! and if I recall correctly you wont be able to visit her during that process too. So if you plan on living in the states, I would suggest marrying her on paper here that way she can be in country with you while all the paperwork process is going on.

sorry for the dramatic capitalized letters but I just wanted to stress, DO NOT TAKE THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS LIGHTLY! things may have changed since I saw some of the difficulties of friends and others dealing with that process, but do your due diligence!
Except if current administration stays in power, his fiancee will never have opportunity to legally enter country. Don't want to enter into politics here and now, but Biden admin does have favourites.

No, but I'd concentrate on preparing for the best.
The thing to bear in mind @robbkowalski is that we are talking about psychology here. The more thought you put into something, the more it goes around in your mind, the more you create it as a track in your mind that is easy to follow - you can end up creating the thing you were trying to avoid. Absolutely you should be planning - but focus on planning for success.

But to consider the problem of divorce, you'll find that it makes little difference whether you've got a marriage licence or not in that case. Depending on the jurisdiction she'd still have claim to a good chunk of your assets even without a marriage licence, remember the courts deal with that all the time these days so every jurisdiction either has established law or judicial precedent around asset splitting in the event of the breakup of a de-facto marriage / common-law marriage. Depending where you are a marriage licence will probably make a difference, but likely not as much of a difference as you are thinking.

Your concern seems to be that a marriage licence would make it easier for her to leave with your assets. In reality, a marriage licence makes it harder for her to leave (that's the point of them), although she still can, and if she does she'd end up with a good chunk of your assets either way.

I'm not saying to not think about it at all - do think about it briefly, and you should find it makes little difference so you can move to thinking about other things. Going back to psychology - if you make a major decision about how to start a marriage (e.g. whether to have a marriage licence) based largely on facilitating the end of the marriage that you would prefer if it failed, then you are planning to fail, and you increase the likelihood that you will fail. So do think about it, but do not make it a central part of your planning. Largely for psychological reasons, not practical ones.

The answer for the only manageable risk you're likely to face is a trust. Keep income in a corporation or trust. If the worst were to happen, there's nothing you can really do to mitigate the risk of her taking children. Nothing you can do to force her to stay. The only risks you can mitigate are to incentivize staying. That's what happened in ancient times, women were heavily incentivized to stay because to leave meant death. Good incentive there.

A trust with stipulations for ongoing financial support could incentivize a woman to remain under your headship. Keeping children in a joint custody situation could be a stipulation for ongoing financial support. Remaining a domestic partner could be a possible stipulation. I'm not a trust attorney so I'd talk to one about these things. But that's pretty much the only thing I can think of that could financially protect you and "your" assets. If a corporation owns the house you live in and the car you drive, a divorcing woman can't take what doesn't belong to you. If a trust owns the real assets and bank accounts, you simply get an allowance monthly from the trust, or a small salary from the corporation you work for, then there's not much in wages to base child support on if you make 10K a year.

As for the immigration issue, I agree that the most likely best course of action is to "officially" marry in the states, get her citizenship, comply with the requisite number of years required and then go through the state sanctioned breakup procedure. Check laws in your state, you might be better served to move to a no-fault state. Just understand any court is going to view every child of her womb as her child and not yours.

All of the above is simply the bits and pieces I've gathered over the years thinking about these issues and problems, and the advice I've received from other men who have gone through similar situations.

It also depends how much you own, and whether it's enough to be worth protecting in that way. Don't complicate things more than you need to complicate them. If you've got enough assets for this to be a serious consideration, you probably already own at least one company or trust, have a good lawyer and accountant, and are already somewhat familiar with how to structure things as @NickF has suggested, so it actually isn't a big deal to you and won't take too much of your thinking. If you don't own much, you are likely unfamiliar with all this and it would take a lot of effort for you to learn about and set up - but you don't actually need to, as you don't have much to lose anyway, and any assets you do build with her she would justly be entitled to a share of anyway. Either way, the correct course to take is likely quite simple for you. You don't need to overthink it.

I've wondered, how does US law view marriages outside of the country? If you marry a different woman in each country not the US are they entitled to spousal benefits?

Congratulations @robbkowalski!
I married a non-US citizen almost 25 years ago (she is Japanese) and other than believing on Christ, marrying her was the best decision I've ever made. She is a wonderful wife.

You may need to look into getting a fiance visa for your girl. Twenty-five years ago, that process took 6-12 months. It is a fairly complicated process since they know she is coming to stay. Getting the fiance visa before you marry greatly expedites the process of getting her permanent residency (ie green card) after marriage. A couple years after getting the permanent residency she can get US citizenship (but doesn't have to).

If she comes on a tourist visa and you marry here, or you marry her overseas, you should still be able to get her a permanent residency but the process is more complicated. Also note that if you apply for the fiance visa, she probably can't come here on the automatic tourist visa while the visa is in the process.

Rob,
This is your first marriage, right? You are also over 40, right? We all know that polygyny is lawful in the sight of God. That doesn't mean that most of us should pursue it.

It isn't my place to make that decision for you, but I would suggest working hard to make this marriage work, and getting to work on popping out some babies out with your woman. (I hope she is substantially younger than you for childbearing purposes)

The Lord can help you find a second wife down the road if that is best.

Then again, I'm less enthusiastic about polygamy than most guys here 😁

Nope, from Croatia. It's fact color revolution is being attempted in US.
The US is indeed in deep trouble. Hopefully we can peaceably separate like Czechoslovakia did and not violently Balkanize like Yugoslavia. Even the Balkanization civil war process is better than letting this color revolution be completed. Globohomo is terribly evil.

I still think rural areas in conservative States are generally some of the better places to be.

Globohomo is trying to starve all the Europeans, and their governments are going along with it. 😳

I've wondered, how does US law view marriages outside of the country? If you marry a different woman in each country not the US are they entitled to spousal benefits?
I can't speak for US law specifically, but generally Western countries recognise marriages contracted in any country as a valid marriage, whether we're talking about bigamy (you're considered guilty of that regardless of where the marriages were formed), asset splitting on divorce, or when it comes to positive recognition (e.g. over here in NZ the age of consent and minimum marriage age is 16, but there is an exception if you're younger than that but married overseas, so a young married couple can have sex on holiday here without being arrested). You'll obviously have a good chance of flying under the radar if nobody ever mentions it, but if it comes to light you'll be in trouble. Just don't have more than one licenced marriage regardless of where it is, there's almost never a reason to anyway.

You seem to know this, but be VERY wary: If you marry her and use that to procure "US citizenship" (ie, voluntary bondage to to the Deep State) be aware that a proctologist is less invasive, and less onerous.

Bear in mind that illegal invaders have more rights that what she's thus asking for, and a HELL of a lot less scrutiny.

1. Leave Collapsing USA.
2. Move to somewhere movecpoly accepting
3.Renounce US citizen
I'm not sure which of these is more hilarious: the belief that the U.S. is collapsing (morally and ethically it is but geopolitically it's set to be untouchable for another 80 years, especially with China and Russia both gasping for air), or the idea that you think renouncing U.S. citizenship is that easy. I spent seven years trying. Bottom line, if you owe a single dime to anyone on North American soil, the consulate can simply refuse to accept your renunciation. Also, renouncing US citizenship doesn't automatically gain citizenship in whatever country you move to. Don't renounce a thing until you're already assured that said renunciation is the final step in attaining citizenship somewhere else... unless of course you think being stateless sounds like a good idea (pro-tip: it's not).

Now with that said...

"She is from the Netherlands and I’m thinking about getting married through the government because I want her to be able to get her citizenship here in the states (where we will in all likelihood live) so she doesn’t have to leave every 90 days."

Yes, you'll need to marry her (as in officially) but this won't automatically gain her citizenship. It'll make her eligible to BEGIN (not finish) the long, mind-numbingly tedious process of attaining a visa. A visa and citizenship are not the same thing. Bear that in mind. A visa enables her to live here (basically a green card is a permanent visa), but not to vote. In an interesting twist, it's actually easier to get a fiancee visa (which means you'll have to marry her officially, with a government license, within 90 days of her arrival) than a spouse visa (for those who are already married. I'm not sure why, but look into it.

And yes, I say all this from more than a bit of harsh and brutal experience dealing with US visa bureaucracy. My third wife (the one I plan on actually getting the marriage license with) is Ukrainian and the amount of headache involved in getting a visa here is so intolerable that I'm at the point of packing up my household and moving to her country, Ukraine, instead. I'd rather risk death in a warzone and live among actual Christians than live among the pretenders who inhabit the United States of Babylon, but I digress.

The US is indeed in deep trouble. Hopefully we can peaceably separate like Czechoslovakia did and not violently Balkanize like Yugoslavia. Even the Balkanization civil war process is better than letting this color revolution be completed. Globohomo is terribly evil.

I still think rural areas in conservative States are generally some of the better places to be.

Globohomo is trying to starve all the Europeans, and their governments are going along with it. 😳
Problem is rot is getting spread in conservative parts of country also.

Think a little. What right prefers? Being left alone. What left prefers? Political activism. Who has political positions in right states? Commies, off course because they for them.

Problem is rot is getting spread in conservative parts of country also.

Think a little. What right prefers? Being left alone. What left prefers? Political activism. Who has political positions in right states? Commies, off course because they for them.
This is not the thread for yet another criticism of someone else’s country. Let’s keep this one on topic.

Back