• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

God and His Brides in Scripture

PeteR

Staff member
Real Person
Male
I know there are several places in Scripture where God describes Himself as having two brides. The ones I am familiar with are the following:

Jeremiah 3 wherein God clearly states that He divorced the house of Israel but has compassion on the house of Judah. Can't divorce half of a bride, therefore, by implication, two brides.

Jeremiah 31:32 in the New Covenant where God says, "...I was a husband to them." Plural.

Ezekiel 23 begins with God describing the two daughters of one mother who "...became Mine and bore Me sons and daughters..." Clear marriage language and imagery throughout the chapter.

Yeshua/Jesus portrays Himself in the Parable of the Ten Virgins as taking five into His chamber.

My question is, where else does Scripture paint this picture with God or the Messiah? I recall somewhere reading an Isaiah reference that was clear, but not sure where... Maybe others? Seven Churches in Revelation? Help me out...

Thanks.

John 17 is one of my favorites in the New Testament though this deals specifically with God giving all flesh to his son so its really about Christ having more wives espoused and given to him by God than Solomon had. The clincher is that Christ intends for everyone in the all flesh category to be one in Him with God.

BTW, the all flesh is not the whole world but rather all those that the Father has given him.

Are you thinking about Isaiah 54: 5-7? 5. "For he that made thee, is thine husband..." 6. "For the L-rd hath called thee, being as a women forsaken,..."
Good passage. Not exactly what I was thinking, but definitely supports from the perspective that the house of Israel, the divorced and desolate bride will be taken back.

Romans 11 makes it clear that under the New Covenant God still pictures Himself as over multiple wives. While in this illustration, it speaks of trees and branches, it is in truth the same structural metaphor; just using an agricultural instead of familial example. IOW, the details of the metaphor are the same, the same relationship between God and the peoples exists.

Well! This is now a video teaching on my channel with possible answers to God's purpose and plan! Also, at the end BibFam is one of the resources I point the longsuffering viewer to.

Matthew 22, the Father prepares multiple marriages fof His Son. Look past the English rendering to find it.

Look forward to watching! And sharing on FB. I have caused quite a stir recently lol
Truth warriors! I'll manufacture ammo if you'll send it down range!

It is somewhat less direct, but I point to the passage in 1st Corinthians 11 where it talks about Christ being the Head of every man, the man being the head of the wife, the Father being the Head of Christ.

The relationship of the man to the woman is similar to the relationship of Christ as the head of every man. The Head or head is similar, but the followers may be one or more than one.

Back