• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Gov. Mark Sanford's Quote on "Marriage"

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
In Mark Sanford's interview on Fox News with Hannity he made this comment that aligns well with the research from Dr. Eggerich's work: "Love and Respect". He spoke a lot about his failed union with Jenny and his mistakes towards that end. One section of comments caught my eye as it applies to all male to female relationships and is one critical area that if not properly cultivated will lead to a union's destruction.

"I would say this to men out there: If you want to fireproof your marriage, I think there are a couple of absolutely vital things that you do that I have learned ... Let's begin with the core to every woman's need for security, emotional or financial or a nest, security. She gets that, she's happy, playful, encouraging. She doesn't get that, she can be some other attributes."

"The core to every man is the need for significance. If he gets it in his work, then he's going to get it there, but if he doesn't, he might become scout master or little league coach. But he's going to get respect and significance in some form or another. If you get the dance of marriage right, the woman is getting the security she needs and the man is getting the respect or significance he needs. If you get that dance wrong — If the man does not originate, as he should, in terms of loving the wife, then a lot of things can slowly go wrong over 20 years. I think that that's an important one."

Back