• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Government, Marriage and Women

meryc

Male
I believe that the direction against polygyny makes State bigger (I remember that Abraham was called "prince" [Gn 23.6]). And Israel state had it base in the old men of family, being its first judges.

Not only that, but women has now a "higher price". In Israel we can see that when women could have only one man, but man could have a lot of women, the tendency to obedience between them were better. Today, as a woman has a power to say that man is wrong, because she can leave him, the man came to be the weaker part of the relationship.

What do you think about it?

What do you think about it?
I think you make good points. I would only differ by stating that it is only an illusion of commanding a higher price that is in play. Most everyone is hypnotized into believing women are in far shorter supply than they are. The women, especially, simply aren't looking around and noticing how many women are around who are uncovered and lonely.

I don’t think that we can directly compare old Israel to today’s women.
I believe that a spirit of lawlessness has been growing and family/marital relationships was an early target of that spirit. Polygyny or no, people in general are just more focused on self today than they are on community. For the women in particular, that makes them very poor candidates for marriage, and even worse candidates for plural marriage.

Shalom and welcome, @mercyc.

One of my favorite quotes is (allegedly) from Aristotle: ''Monogamy is the foundation of the polis [state]''.. indeed, early Greece understood that legislated and enforced monogamy removed the power and authority of patriarchal (alpha) males and transferred it to the State.

Shalom and welcome, @mercyc.

One of my favorite quotes is (allegedly) from Aristotle: ''Monogamy is the foundation of the polis [state]''.. indeed, early Greece understood that legislated and enforced monogamy removed the power and authority of patriarchal (alpha) males and transferred it to the State.
Have you that reference (from Aristotle)?

Back