• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Grid down polygyny

Sgfmo-Shawn

Male
I am in process of building a sustainable farm and intentional community in SWMO centered around a Torah observant lifestyle. I believe we are in process of seeing radical changes to the way believers will be treated in the U.S. as well as other issues like food shortages or a possible grid down situation. I believe that plural marriage will be a necessity for both parties, headship and protection for women and additional helpmeets with various skills for the man. I believe an age stack will be beneficial as well (19, 29, 39) because of the variety of both life skills and energy that will be needed. I am curious if anyone else has thought along these lines?

How far along are you?

I have thought about it off and on for years, though God doesn't seem to have taken me down that road. SWMO is a decent location for it.

What is your economic engine? Presumably you mean agriculture. Farming organically/sustainably is good so you don't wear out the land or sicken the people. But what product will you market and how?

I am in process of building a sustainable farm and intentional community in SWMO centered around a Torah observant lifestyle. I believe we are in process of seeing radical changes to the way believers will be treated in the U.S. as well as other issues like food shortages or a possible grid down situation. I believe that plural marriage will be a necessity for both parties, headship and protection for women and additional helpmeets with various skills for the man. I believe an age stack will be beneficial as well (19, 29, 39) because of the variety of both life skills and energy that will be needed. I am curious if anyone else has thought along these lines?
Don't forget the dairy! Not sure about the laws in MO, but I belong to a co-op/herd share and get as much grass fed raw milk as I want. Might be another potential marketable product.

upload_2019-9-1_4-54-15.png

Love me some fresh raw milk. We used to get it for a dollar a gallon when I was a teenager. Bring clean 1 gal jars back and put em on the shelf, get however many full jars out of the fridge, put your money in the can. Rinse and repeat.

We made our own butter too. We had more butter than 8 people could consume, and we had some very unorthodox methods of producing it because invariably we’d get bored with the process.

We cannot buy it legally in Alabama.
One guy just got arrested and fined for about the third time for selling it as pet drink only. Some guy bought it and took a swig of it in the sellers yard while the seller was under surveillance.

As my daddy used to say, We have more government than I can afford.

Raw milk is necessarily a direct market product in MO. But not the others.

5-10 years ago direct marketing was a no brainer, huge growing pent up demand for local organic food. But since then the stores have gotten enough 'organic' food stocked that the shine is off the market. It can still be done, but it's a long hard slog. Most of your competition will be working themselves to death while selling below cost of production.

Your best bet will be to find something unique that you can build a big enough market for to produce at scale. But it needs to be something that will resonate with the market.

I appreciate all of the advice on marketing raw milk, the state of the whole food market and other associated topics, however I have spent 30 years as a marketing professional (and have had several organic food producers as clients.) I posted this to discuss the implications / necessity of needing multiple wives on the farm to help me. I’d love any insight about such topics. Thanks!

I posted this to discuss the implications / necessity of needing multiple wives on the farm to help me

"Necessity of needing"? Quite simply you don't. People start businesses and run farms without multiple wives all the time. So it can be done without. But certainly could be easier with multiples though; presuming you have the interpersonal skills to hold it all together. The stress of farming has ended a lot of marriages; even of successful farmers. Would poly have helped prevent some of those? Maybe. Maybe not.

The best source of free labor is your own children. Have plenty of them and grow your business at the same time.
Looking to additional wives as a labor source seems problematic. If they join you organically in the process of growth, well and good. But if they are foundational in your business plan, I don’t have high hopes for your success.

The best source of free labor is your own children. Have plenty of them and grow your business at the same time..

I've seen that backfire spectacularly. If you build something depending on the 'free' labor of your children it means your product is being sold at below the cost of production. What happens when those children get to be late teenagers is there is no room in the business to support them or their families as adults because the production can't bring in a wage for them. So they necessarily leave, and then your business doesn't have sufficient labor to function and can't afford to hire more.

That's not to say you can't have a business that utilizes your children, just be sure you budget into the production their (and your) labor costs and as they get older provide them opportunities to start their own ventures on farm so they have room for self directed growth.

That's not to say you can't have a business that utilizes your children, just be sure you budget into the production their (and your) labor costs and as they get older provide them opportunities to start their own ventures on farm so they have room for self directed growth.
Right, you are starting with the free labor but your business has to become profitable enough to compensate them as they age. To where they are part of the business in a way that encourages them to help it grow. Or run their own parallel businesses.
By the bushel is usually the best method as opposed to salary or hourly.

you are starting with the free labor but your business has to become profitable enough to compensate them as they age

Yes, you just have to be sure your market price doesn't factor in the free labor, but assumes paid labor. You may depend on the free labor at first, but that should change when your market grows and you achieve economies of scale. In that way, the labor acts as a bootstrap.

Or run their own parallel businesses.

This is actually a very powerful thing. It often takes 5-6 years to build a market. If a child starts at 14 or 15, by the time they hit adulthood they have a business that can support them. And if it fails, they still have time to pivot to another. All the while being at home, so they don't have the necessity of drawing a full time income to pay for food/housing/family.

Back