• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Has anyone heard of Roy Porterra?

I found this today, it was an interesting listen. Thoughts? @PeteR I think you might enjoy this one.

Somebody has also found verse I use for checking how much translators are lying.
Well, most English translations are replete with prevarication.

In this case, the Concordant Version of the Old Testament [CVOT], which is my most trusted literal translation from Hebrew and Aramaic, reads: "Then the king departed to his palace and passed the night fasting. Diversions were not brought before him, even though his sleep fled from him." [Daniel 6:18a-b]

"Diversions" is still a deflection.

The Literal Standard Version substitutes 'dahavan' for 'diversions,' and Roger Potter addresses this in his video. We can probably slice and dice each other when it comes to his interpretations and/or his reliance on historical evidence related to when certain books in Scripture actually first emerged, but overall I think Mr. Potter does a great job of exegesis. 'Dahavan' is most likely related to sexual entertainment that would have typically been brought to a man of king status but that he eschewed because he was fasting for the purpose of creating focus on the significant matter at hand.

And, when it comes down to it, 'diversions' is no more of an idiomatic leap than 'uncovering her nakedness.'

It's never a surprise to me when the King James Version quite purposefully mistranslates original meaning for the purpose of pushing some worldly religious agenda in contrast to the intention of His Word.

P.S. I believe it's Roy Porter, not Roy Porterra or Roy Porterqa. royporterqa likely just stands for Roy Porter Q&A (questions and answers).

Back