• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Head covering

Pacman

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Not sure if this has already been covered on the forum but I am curious of opinions about women wearing head coverings as is commonly promoted and sometimes required by some denominations. Based on 1 Corinthians 11

I was not raised to believe that it's a requirement but I have studied it recently and I think I have come to a different conclusion.

I believe in exactly what Corinthians 11 says and windblown conforms to that and even goes a bit farther. It's misunderstood though. It's not a direct command. It seems almost unique in all of scripture in how it's worded and presented.

This is what I came up with when I looked into it. Please understand this is my take on it. I am not claiming that I have fully studied it enough to have a definite conclusion

This practice is a symbol. What this symbol represents is something that all women should have a proper heart attitude about. The headship of husbands and fathers. We know from other passages that a wife should be submitting to and reverencing her husband.

Feminism

From the research that I have done it seems like this was a typical practice for most Christian women up until the early to mid 20th century. One thing that I have definitely not found is this practice being spoken against until recent years. I believe that when feminism began to infect churches this symbol of submission was rejected because women considered themselves as equals to men in every way. I obviously cannot prove that feminism was the cause of this going away but I do believe the mindset of feminism has infiltrated churches in many ways that we don't even realize.

When is this necessary?

From the context of the passage I believe this applies to corporate worship (v2, v16, v18) within the church and not necessarily to all times of prayer. This is a distinction that I believe is misunderstood by some denominations such as Mennonites and Amish who practice this at all times. From the passage I believe that it is necessary any time a woman is teaching or anytime she is praying or in attendance during public prayer. (she should be joining in prayer anytime she is in attendance and someone is praying publicly)

Headship

Verses 3, 8 & 9 teach the authority structure from creation. These are the facts of creation that are symbolized by the head covering. “The head of every man is Christ: and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.”

I believe there is nothing here teaching that the woman is of lesser value. The statement “the head of Christ is God” stands directly beside “the head of the woman is the man.” We know that Christ is valuable to God—He is God. The issue is order and authority structure. Not value.

In Ephesians 5, the headship of Christ is spoken of as it relates to the Church as his bride. In 1 Corinthians 11, His headship in the assembly is related individually to the believer within the context of corporate worship. In verse 4, the covered head of the praying or prophesying man is dishonoring to his head which is Christ (v3). This is why Christian men remove their hats when they pray and even non christian men commonly practice this still today in society.

Verse 5 teaches that a woman’s uncovered head dishonors her head which is the man. The word dishonor means, “to shame down or disgrace.” When a man appears with his head covered, or a woman with her head uncovered, it is a denial of the teaching regarding headship.

Glory

Paul also teaches us about glory, which is another reason for us to follow this practice.

The reason for the uncovered head of the man is given: “Forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God.” Man must not, cover his head in the assembly because he represents God as His image. Also, he is the glory of God. God’s image and glory must not be hidden. These are two reasons for the uncovered head of the man.

The woman is not spoken of as the image of man, but she is spoken of as the glory of the man. The glory of man must not be manifest in corporate worship, therefore that glory must be covered. No glory but God’s is to be displayed while worshiping God. Mans public ministry is to be done so that God alone receives the glory.

Some will cite verse 15, “Her hair is given her for a covering.” Since she has hair or long hair, they say, that is enough. Notice that for the woman there are two glories involved. She is a glory: “The woman is the glory of the man” (v. 7). But she also has a glory of her own. Her hair is a glory to her (v.15). For the glory that she is (the glory of the man), God has given her a natural covering, (her hair). For the glory that she has (her hair), she must submit her will and cover that with another covering which she places over her own glory.

By covering “the glory of man” (the woman) and covering the woman's glory (her hair) and leaving uncovered “the glory of God” (the man), we are allowing God alone to receive the glory.

To argue, then, that long hair is the woman’s head covering seems to miss the very point of the function of the head covering and of the long hair: one symbolizes her submission while the other symbolizes her glory.

The Angels

In verse 10 we are given another reason "For this cause ought the woman to have power (authority) on her head because of the angels.” Why is this? Ephesians 3:10 gives us a clue about angelic observation. God uses the Church to teach them something about His manifold wisdom. God teaches them by object lessons or symbols.

There is simply not enough context in this passage for me to determine what Paul is saying about the angels. (Please understand this is my opinion about that phrase) When a woman prays or prophecys during a church gathering with her head covered, she performs a ministry to the angels. She becomes an object lesson of submission to divine headship. What a rebuke she is to the wicked angels! Their sin is rebellion against divine authority. What a delight to the obedient angels, as they see also the man’s head uncovered portraying the unshielded glory of God and His accepted authority!

Culture

There are some who argue that this was a symbol that was understood by the people of Corinth at the time this was written, and therefore because our culture doesn't understand the meaning it is no longer necessary for a woman to practice this. The problem I have with this approach is that none of the reasons Paul gives are cultural. Also I have a major concern about dismissing any practice that is spoken about in scripture without some other part of scripture giving an explanation of why we should dismiss it. Such as the civil and ceremonial laws of the old testament. This is not an old testament command. This is right in the middle of the new testament teaching about order in the church.

What about verse 16

“But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.” some will point to vs 16 and claim that Paul is saying that we don't have this custom in the church therefore to avoid contention don't worry about what I just said if you don't want to do it. My problem with this interpretation is I don't believe anything unimportant is included in scripture. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) Paul did not just waste ink when writing the first part of this passage. I believe the correct interpretation of this verse is. If anyone in the church is being contentious and trying to refuse this teaching. They should know that the churches of God do not have the custom of women not covering their heads or of men covering their heads.

Wow there is a lot to look at there. I will be reading for a while.

Thank you

I had rainy throw a dishtowel over her head for like, a weekend or something while I researched it. I ended up with the same understanding as AFM&MH. If rainy ever has a hairstyle that I judge to be 'not kome' we'll probably go back to that.

And if she gets one of those pixie cuts it's gonna be just that: a dishtowel. No fancy scarf or headwrap. DISH. TOWEL.

1 Corinthians 11:15 KJV
[15] But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

A woman’s long hair IS her covering... pulls pin, tosses, ducks for cover!
Sure, but that means you have to shave your head if you don't want to be shameful when you pray. Besides verse 15 is separated from the instruction about the shamefulness of praying covered or uncovered and it part of the evidence surrounding the instructions about men having long hair which is itself somehow demonstrating the broader point. It doesn't mitigate the instruction about covering though.

I had rainy throw a dishtowel over her head for like, a weekend or something while I researched it. I ended up with the same understanding as AFM&MH. If rainy ever has a hairstyle that I judge to be 'not kome' we'll probably go back to that.

And if she gets one of those pixie cuts it's gonna be just that: a dishtowel. No fancy scarf or headwrap. DISH. TOWEL.
So what do you do with a man having to be uncovered? If it is referring to hair does that not mean you should be clean shaven?

YEEESSSS!!!!

I cut off my hippie hair, keep it short, and do not wear anything on my head when praying.

The chapter in question does not say that I should be clean shaven, but it does say it's a shame for me to have long hair. A foreshadowing of Ezekiel 44:20 perhaps. I don't put a lot on it, just following the instructions as written to the best of my understanding.

I'm not supposed to cover my head. For this same reason I should not have long hair. My wife is supposed to cover her head. This is why she was given long hair.

For me it's really cut and dried. I know others have different convictions, which is fully ok because I'm only the steward of a handful of scalps.

1 Corinthians 11:15 KJV
[15] But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

A woman’s long hair IS her covering... pulls pin, tosses, ducks for cover!

VS 15 is an example from nature given to support the standard in previous verses. If her hair is the only covering needed then there are several verses previous in the chapter that are wasted ink... Like vs 4-7

VS 15 would stand on its own as a standard to be followed.

My wife has an auto immune disease that caused her to loose her hair. She did not want to loose her hair she did not choose to be uncovered. If long hair is the intended standard then is she dishonoring me every time she prays or teaches, because she does not have long hair?

This is actually the reason that I began studying this. It wasn't even on my radar before because the churches I had been in did not teach it as a requirement. I wanted to come to the conclusion that either long hair or a separate covering was the standard but I just don't see that in this passage.

If long hair is the only intended standard then the qualification about praying or prophesying also makes no sense. A woman cannot have short or shaven hair on Saturday and then have long hair the next morning to teach her Sunday school class...

If you maintain that this is a standard to be followed for all praying or prophesying (which I think is an understandable conclusion) then it gets even more difficult to claim its long hair. She would need the ability to grow and cut her hair multiple times in a day...

Theological debate aside, all covering women that I've met (online or IRL) will tell you how much of a blessing the practice is for them. Many have seen their personal attitudes and marriages transformed. Many have had chances to witness to strangers. Many have overcome "persecution." Their stories are myriad and inspiring.

If there's even a tiny question of 1 Cor. 11 being about a cloth covering, just a hint or slight nudge from the Holy Spirit, I'd highly suggest giving it a try. And seeing the difference it can make.

Also, in a world where genders have gone completely haywire, head covering is a lovely way of showing exactly who you are and what you stand for.

Blessings on Mrs. Pacman as she journeys down this exciting road. :)

Last edited:
If long hair is the only intended standard then the qualification about praying or prophesying also makes no sense. A woman cannot have short or shaven hair on Saturday and then have long hair the next morning to teach her Sunday school class...

If you maintain that this is a standard to be followed for all praying or prophesying (which I think is an understandable conclusion) then it gets even more difficult to claim its long hair. She would need the ability to grow and cut her hair multiple times in a day...

I'm not sure if I want to jump in on this due to the varying understandings, but I always understood this as that long hair counts as a covering but isn't the only way to cover.

So men keep your hair short to avoid covering your head and women keep it long to ensure your head is covered. However if she is unable then something else can be used as a covering.

This is just my understanding of the teaching.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I want to jump in on this due to the varying understandings, but I always understood this as that long hair counts as a covering but isn't the only way to cover.

So men keep your hair short to avoid covering your head and women keep it long to ensure your head is covered. However if she is unable then something else can be used as a covering.

This is just my understanding of the teaching.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Back