• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from Indiana

flatbroke

I go by flatbroke, but most folks call me flat. Now, this whole polygny (sp) thing is so new to me the paint ain't even dry yet.

I've been married to a fine woman for 13 years without having the fortune of having a child. But, through internet correspondence, I met another woman who suggested all of us living together. Now, at the time, I thought, "No Way!", but the more I thought about it, the more I came to realize I couldn't find one single reason given in the Bible that expressly forbid it.

So the wife and I discussed it, and the other woman moved here from New York (of all places. A country hick and a big city girl. Go figure.)

Since then, I've had lots of problems of varying nature, not the least of which is my conscience, another being that I and the second woman are not legally married (obviously), and where I live, the chance of finding a minister who would make it legal in the eyes of God is about as easy as shoving butter up a wildcat's butt with a hot poker.
As for family, I don't much care what mine thinks, but the wife has had major grief from her family

But I'm hoping to find solutions to a lot of my questions and problems here. Mayhap I will, mayhap I won't, but either way, it's still good to know you're not alone.

Welcome "flat", you are "flat out" at the right place! You got questions, we got solutions. :)

Seriously, the conscience is a funny thing, isn't it - in this case it's tough to overcome years of training and tradition, even when current study tells you something else. Well, having others tell you the same thing - that God doesn't condemn a 2nd marriage, will help you get past that.

Also, you don't need a minister to "make it legal in God's eyes" (and you don't need to be "legal in the state's eyes") - but I suspect you already know that. But if your wives would prefer a ceremony of some type, with a pastor, we can help with that - if you are willing to travel.

We know all about "grief" from families, here at Biblical Families. Many can share similar stories (including myself). That's what fellowship with "like-minded" folks is for - here online, and at retreats.

Welcome, feel free to ask questions, and let us know how we can help you and your family. (There are wives who are open to email contact with yours, if they'd feel more comfortable off the forums.)

flatbroke said:
I go by flatbroke, but most folks call me flat. Now, this whole polygny (sp) thing is so new to me the paint ain't even dry yet.

I've been married to a fine woman for 13 years without having the fortune of having a child. But, through internet correspondence, I met another woman who suggested all of us living together. Now, at the time, I thought, "No Way!", but the more I thought about it, the more I came to realize I couldn't find one single reason given in the Bible that expressly forbid it.

So the wife and I discussed it, and the other woman moved here from New York (of all places. A country hick and a big city girl. Go figure.)

Since then, I've had lots of problems of varying nature, not the least of which is my conscience, another being that I and the second woman are not legally married (obviously), and where I live, the chance of finding a minister who would make it legal in the eyes of God is about as easy as shoving butter up a wildcat's butt with a hot poker.
As for family, I don't much care what mine thinks, but the wife has had major grief from her family

But I'm hoping to find solutions to a lot of my questions and problems here. Mayhap I will, mayhap I won't, but either way, it's still good to know you're not alone.

Hello and Welcome,

Well, the Bible does not forbid plural marriage anymore than it forbids using instruments in worship. Scripture does not require that Marriage Covenant be before a pastor. Bible Covenants were done before witnesses, however. This brings accountability to all parties.

We are here to pray for, counsel with, and support you and yours.

Hey howdy and welcome to the forum.

Hi, Flat:

Nice to see you here.

You've come to the right place for fellowship and to find the answers to your questions - as Nathan and DaPastor have already demonstrated.

You know, I spent some time in Indiana once - in Washington country to be exact. Have fond memories of the state.

God bless you and yours!

interestingly enough, it would seem a ketubah would be the sort of contract a man like you might desire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketubah
seems it's an agreement document spelling out responsibilities of the man and woman and their oath to be man and woman for life. strangely enough, usually the man and woman do not sign it, only the witnesses who witnessed their vows to each other. seems a legal document in ancient Jewish times was not signed by the participants, but rather by their peers who witnessed the verbal agreement of the involved parties.
Welcome Flat one, unfortunantly, I'm a little rounder than flat... LOL, OK, I'll stop with the lame jokes

Thanks for all the great advice and welcome!

I've been looking through the site, and there's a lot of helpful information here.

Back