• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from North Texas

I concur. I know I come across as the Grinch sometimes (maybe often...), but time after time we have seen individuals here give their pastors and their fellowships the benefit of the doubt on this only to be seriously disappointed when TSHTF. Rationalizing remarriage after divorce is alive and well in the mainstream churches; accepting plural marriage in practice is definitely not, and in many cases accepting it in theory has gotten people excommunicated. Be prepared for that pastor or any pastor to change their tune if actual polygamy is the topic of conversation.

FWIW, the only fellowship I know of right now that gives me any real hope is Mojo's, based on his testimony of things shaking over there, and I would invite and encourage everybody here to pray for direction for Mojo and the body he's a member of whenever you read one of his posts.

FWIW, the only fellowship I know of right now that gives me any real hope is Mojo's, based on his testimony of things shaking over there, and I would invite and encourage everybody here to pray for direction for Mojo and the body he's a member of whenever you read one of his posts.

Hasn't Zec brought up polygamy a few times at his church with no negative repercussions so far?

Hasn't Zec brought up polygamy a few times at his church with no negative repercussions so far?

Mentioning something in passing is often taken as jest. Dig in and argue your case and watch the fur fly. I have mentioned it in passing and received support (laughing agreement) but when I seriously made the case, the walls go up and good hermeneutics are burned at the stake.

Far as I know, yes, but Mojo's situation is actually moving in the right direction (as I understand it), and I agree with AFM&MH's comments above re Zec's situation. Let's see what happens when Mr Austin actually has his eye on someone....

And I didn't mean to suggest that anyone's fellowship in particular is a problem or that I have comprehensive knowledge of everyone's situation on the ground. I just had a chance to interact with Mojo at the Tucson retreat and heard some things that actually gave me some hope for the first time in a long while. :eek: Every other fellowship I consider neutral until they reach for the pitchforks and fire up the torches....

I have brought it up and I've made the case. There are some mitigating circumstances though; I've never involved the pastor, I am already considered something of a loose cannon and I kept it in a small group setting.

I am sure if the issue was forced in front of everyone then they would definitely turn on me.

I have brought it up and I've made the case. There are some mitigating circumstances though; I've never involved the pastor, I am already considered something of a loose cannon and I kept it in a small group setting.

I am sure if the issue was forced in front of everyone then they would definitely turn on me.

After my own recent experience, I’d say that it’s virtually guaranteed that they’ll turn on you, even if it’s not in front of everyone.

Every other fellowship I consider neutral until they reach for the pitchforks and fire up the torches....

Monogamy seems to be right up there with the diety of Christ in important, unchallengeable theologies.

Hey there! :)

We’ve been lurking around here for a while, reading and learning and discovering just how awesome y’all are. After nearly a dozen years as the only wife, I’m a bit nervous about transitioning into PM, but have been so encouraged by many of the posts here. And the Monday night chat ladies were wonderfully welcoming! We look forward to getting to know y'all. :)
Welcome..... The womans chat is amazing and these women have been so loving and just wonderful .Looking forward to getting to know u guys

Thanks for the shoutout @andrew. Things are going well now. Please pray. You never know when the SHTF moment may erupt.

As opposed to @ZecAustin, I have brought up this subject and a few other controversial topics related to it directly to the pastor, and things are moving in a positive direction (no details due to confidentiality, though).

If I showed up with one or two more one day, sat at a pew together and.....I'm not sure what would happen. I doubt it would be positive, but would you expect it to be?

That's what intrigues me about your situation—the possibility that you may be on your way to laying a foundation now that could allow you to 'onboard' a new wife later.

Most of us have sort of tenuous ideas about and arguments for plural marriage at first, so we don't really say anything to the people around us while we're still not sure what we think. Then when it comes out it's sort of like the "prove me wrong" meme that's been going around facebook—state a thesis and defend it. You might get past that phase as long as everybody's just talking, but when the church leadership finds out you're serious, or even just seriously investigating, it's a different can of worms, especially if they find out from someone else (right @Verifyveritas76?...). But that's the norm.

@Mojo, I think for you the challenge will be whether you can bring your conversations with your pastor out into the light as part of your program to work on the overall manliness of your group, before an actual relationship is in the works. If your pastor is really committed to restoring male headship in the church (or just "maleness" to the males in the body, in the face of our culture's persecution), then at some point plural marriage is likely to become a topic of conversation, and that's when you'll find out how committed he really is.

Everything you've said so far sounds really positive, so keep up the good work and we'll be praying!

Hey, we're doing it! I hosted in Feb, Chris in Mar, Chris again in Apr (I was slammed with LP conventions and the BF retreat), and now I have to get something on the calendar for May, and I think Chris is going to host a pool party in June. Anybody in Texas or within a travel distance they can handle is welcome! Message me or @cnystrom for more information.

May was pretty good. The door prize was a nice bag of peaches that we picked ourselves and have been thoroughly enjoying.

Texans Unite!

Back