• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from Wisconsin!

rockfox

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
Hello from Wisconsin!

Well what to say... I'm married (one wife) with kids (lots and lots of kids) and open to more (of both).

I came across the idea that polygamy was acceptable for a Christian over 10 years ago when studying marriage and divorce (which sure cleared a lot of the confusion on that issue). It wasn't hard for me to accept (God's will, not mine) but it wasn't something either of us wanted at the time. And that was good as we were newlyweds and new Christians; very not ready.

That seems like a lifetime ago in so many ways. We've grown a lot in knowledge and faith since then as the Spirit has led us and I my family. Our marriage is really strong and we both feel drawn to accepting a sister-wife into our family. But I'm still working out whether or not it is the wise thing to do; one of the reasons I'm here.

I'm also drawn here for fellowship. It is refreshing to chat with people who don't have a knee jerk reaction on this matter. And I feel a kinship to those who've suffered rejection by family and church because of their stance for the truth about polygamy due to my own trials in the faith.

Church wise, we have no one to meet with right now and little hope of finding any. Love has been the exception and we've mostly received hate, reviling, and rejection. We attempt to walk in obedience to the scriptures regardless what the world or human tradition says. I think you understand, nothing crazy or unorthodox, just trying to follow Christ. I'm not the type who has one issue he beats to death nor am I confrontational by nature so I keep it to myself unless asked. But apparently even the silent witness of my lived life is too much for many.

Well, that's it for now. Hoping to learn lots and meet some folks from our part of the country and beyond.

God bless!

Hi, welcome.

You say that you've "mostly received hate, reviling, and rejection". Is that when you've mentioned poly, or even without mentioning poly?

Hi @rockfox.

Church wise, we have no one to meet with right now and little hope of finding any. Love has been the exception and we've mostly received hate, reviling, and rejection. We attempt to walk in obedience to the scriptures regardless what the world or human tradition says.

Yup! That sounds familiar. But welcome to BF and the one place you're among likeminded friends. :)

Welcome aboard!

Another plug for the summer retreat: Expect some serious discussion about home fellowships and how to start something in your area, with a plan for getting several local fellowships going this fall. It's time.

Welcome Son,
What sources specifically did you use in your study of marriage and divorce, if I may ask? Yes, expect all the criticism of coming to Truth. Christ, the apostles, the early church, etc dealt with this often. It’s kind of a proof you are on the right track. You’ll do just fine here. There’s some here that’ll make ya wonder, which I am the chief; but all a great body of believers with much Love, faith, strength, understanding, and wisdom.

Welcome.

rockfox, Zec is our ranking "Abraham", ;) and I think I'm first runner up....

Welcome! Politically, and churchly incorrect people are the BEST!

You should find plenty of fellowship, and humor here!

Welcome Son,
What sources specifically did you use in your study of marriage and divorce, if I may ask? Yes, expect all the criticism of coming to Truth. Christ, the apostles, the early church, etc dealt with this often. It’s kind of a proof you are on the right track. You’ll do just fine here. There’s some here that’ll make ya wonder, which I am the chief; but all a great body of believers with much Love, faith, strength, understanding, and wisdom.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

Opposition isn't proof per se, but if the worldly Christians were cheering me on I'd start to wonder real hard about my path.

It was a long time ago that I made a major push in studying marriage, though a few pieces of the puzzle remain and my study is not closed. But I don't recall my sources and nothing particularly stands out after time.

I just took my usual approach to any issue: an exhaustive study of the applicable scriptures to get a framework, tweak that with some investigations into the underlying language and history as necessary, sanity check against what others opine about (commentaries, teachers, etc). And prayer, don't forget that. Early on I'd seek others in meat space for council, but I quickly eclipsed them.

I probably need to start writing down the results of my studies, I'd have an outsized systematic theology by now. Would save me time in restudying things and digging up sources. But I have a dim view of the theologians and am usually more focused on just determining the truth so I can apply it in my life.

Marriage is a good example of an issue where we are theologically lost and unable to come to the truth because we start with cultural assumptions (equality, monogamy, puritanism) which prevent us from even noticing the plain words on the page.

Marriage is a good example of an issue where we are theologically lost and unable to come to the truth because we start with cultural assumptions (equality, monogamy, puritanism) which prevent us from even noticing the plain words on the page.

This is so true.

Back