• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Heresy of Giving

Maddog

Male
"Give and it shal be given unto you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over SHALL MEN GIVE UNTO YOUR BOSOM..." is used as a cudgel to coerce giving to the local church franchise. My problem: I have never seen men give into my bosom because the mechanism for return is not found in a typical church. The church is a CONSUMER not a force multiplier or PRODUCER. How can this change?

The proper use of the tithe (in my understanding) is that a portion be used for the feast days, a portion for the Levites, and a potion to be given back to the poor in that community. Most churches only really use it for the "Levites" or ministers. And most of said ministers do very little actual work for the community.

The proper use of the tithe (in my understanding) is that a portion be used for the feast days, a portion for the Levites, and a potion to be given back to the poor in that community. Most churches only really use it for the "Levites" or ministers. And most of said ministers do very little actual work for the community.
Modern church teaching on "tithing" is almost as serious (and Biblically inaccurate) as the teaching on marriage.

Modern church teaching on "tithing" is almost as serious (and Biblically inaccurate) as the teaching on marriage.

Our fellowship left the UCC and ended the practice of having a paid pastor. That also ended the practice of tithing to the church and now we support various charities and other efforts and we all strive to make 10% in gifts. God still gets the gift. We just got rid of the middleman.

Our fellowship left the UCC and ended the practice of having a paid pastor. That also ended the practice of tithing to the church and now we support various charities and other efforts and we all strive to make 10% in gifts. God still gets the gift. We just got rid of the middleman.
When you sow into the lives of others, it is far more likely to have return on investment. Dr Luck might need some help.

When you sow into the lives of others, it is far more likely to have return on investment. Dr Luck might need some help.
We don’t expect an R. O. I. when we are giving The Boss 10% of the top.
Then again, maybe it is protection?

I'd rather see giving in terms of loving to be about my Master, and our Father's business. Everything changed after the prodigal son returned to his Father's house, and experienced His love.
I'm already back in the Father's good pleasure. I don't need to pay someone to tell me how to gain it. I believe the Lord really does delight in a cheerful giver.

I don't believe in tithing. I believe in cheerful, abundant grace giving. In other words you determine how much to give as long as it's cheerful and generous. I believe that's scriptural.

Back