• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hi

Glad you enjoyed it.

The thing about Luthers commentary on the 10 commandments is that "the church" is continuously modernizing them.
It was also interesting, that he copied the RCC in removing the 2nd commandment.
Of course in Hebrew they are not numbered, just affirmed to be 10, so I guess it can be debated where one command ends and the next begins.

I really am not sure how to introduce myself. But I will try to give you an idea of who I am. I am a Lutheran and found this forum while researching biblical marriage. I started researching biblical marriage after doing a study of Martin Luthers Writings with my wife. While it wasn't the fact that Luther preformed a bigamous wedding that convinced me to start this study but his writing on church councils that did. I can post a link if anyone wants to read it but it's long and doesn't mention polygamy until part 2. That study brought me here and I began spending a lot of time here using the resources and information that's been posted. It's so valuable. I felt like I had to become a member. Oh this study has lasted a couple of years now. My wife and I both believe in biblical multiple marriage but we're not seeking anyone. Just gave it to God. We live in Ontario and have talked to our close friends and some elders in our church and find most people agree. I hope this helps you understand me a little bit.
Welcome eh! I talk with several of like faith in Alberta, Canada, with the exception of the “P” word. After 35 years of study and sharing the response has not been friendly. One lady in Canada I have spoken with for years is a great Daughter, but after three years I have not spoken of polygyny. Just gun shy I guess.

Thank-you ... I haven't talked to many people out of my immediate circle about it and when I do speak with others most think I am just making a joke and I leave it at that usually. Depending on the circumstances.

so I guess it can be debated where one command ends and the next begins.

Maybe, but if you shift the cutoff then "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" would become part of the 1st commandment, making it "only worship me, don't worship idols". Just changing where one ends and the other begins would not delete it entirely. And the Catholics have deleted it.

Furthermore, if you split up the coveting commandment into two, the order in the text is house - wife - servants - other stuff. But the Catholics have made it two commandments: "wife" and "house + stuff". That's not just changing where the commands start and end, it's plucking something out of the middle of the 10th commandment while keeping the stuff before and after it together.

It's not a matter of where each starts and ends. It's more manipulated than that.

Back