• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat His Instruction in Two Words

🤣

Except when it's NOT. Even, it seems, when confined to the ghetto (sorry, Keith. But I rest my case...)
Well, given that this is y'all's Playground, I'll let you hash that out over here among yourselves . . .

🤣

It's a ghetto, Keith, not a playground; and that doesn't seem to be allowed. :rolleyes:
I just don't see that, Mark.
  • No one stops anyone here from starting a website devoted to promoting Torah Keeping (or Liberation Theology, or Hinduism, or Wicca, or whatever). This is therefore not at all a matter of being a free speech issue. Free speech does not mean anyone has to give us a free platform to speak from.
  • I honor the fact that you're so one-minded about your religious beliefs, but, brother, surely you have to acknowledge that you see every problem as a nail to be pounded by your TK hammer. Right? No matter what the presented problem, your assertion is that the problem only exists because people aren't abiding by Torah. Right?
  • So biblicalfamilies.org has provided you a playground on which you are free to assert the primacy of Torah-keeping with others who also see things that way. That makes it a privilege, because the real world doesn't guarantee anyone a platform that will require others to listen to one. This section at least approaches providing you what you want. If you want more, isn't it incumbent upon you to create it for yourself? Or at least to recognize that no one else gets to turn every thread into a forum for demanding the supremacy of their particular religious movement.
  • Biblical Families seems to do a pretty good job of asserting that its primary purpose is not to push particular religious beliefs other than the Resurrection of Yeshua (with certain Christian groups being excluded but paradoxically remaining open to straight-up Jews) but is instead to promote patriarchy and polygyny to the extent that it does.
  • I therefore simply can't imagine that you'll be punished here in the TK Playground for sharing Scriptures or for proclaiming that Torah is the Best. Or even for declaring that non-Torah is anathema. It seems to me that @The Revolting Man et al have described very reasonable guidelines for participation here: no aggressive threatening antagonism among members of the Playground; and no hatching of plots here to create disruptions for, overthrow, vanquish or condemn your non-TK brothers out in the public spaces.
I've read about many ghettos and have experienced life in more than one. Not being permitted to demand that everyone see things your way just isn't ghetto evidence. Maybe you're going for hyperbole, or maybe you're still searching for a better word to express the full nature of what you disagree with, but 'ghetto' just doesn't cut it, even as hyperbole. I say this as one who hasn't hesitated to put my own disapproval with Biblical Families into writing, and I want you around for your point of view, but I also really want to encourage you to come up with a better form of criticism, one that doesn't demand fealty to your point of view -- unless, that is, all you really want is for the rest of us to just shut up so we can listen only to you.

I just don't see that, Mark.
We have disagreed before, Keith, and are still able to love one another, which is wonderful, and a big part of the Big Point.

Which allows me (at least for now... ;) ) to continue.

• No one stops anyone here from starting a website...
No one 'stops anyone here' from doing ANYTHING, so, that's irrelevant.

This is therefore not at all a matter of being a free speech issue.
...except for discussing some DIRECTLY RELATED ASPECTS of His Word that actually apply to marriage. Ostensibly the purpose of the entire forum.

It's not a 'free speech' issue, it's 'moderation' shooting itself in the foot!'

• I honor the fact that you're so one-minded about your religious beliefs, but, brother, surely you have to acknowledge that you see every problem as a nail to be pounded by your TK hammer. Right?
No, very wrong. But that's just me. I never use the term, "Torah-Keeping," and I have contended that it's a red herring for a multitude of already-enumerated reasons, from, "you are not a king...a priest...a woman...etc," so you can NOT do some things, and we are in exile, so others don't apply, like stoning people for some things now taught in grade schools (that was a point shut out from another thread) and there's no 'temple' - so you can't do any of the things that were done there, period.

But, with the proper terminology:
  • No matter what the presented problem, your assertion is that the problem only exists because people aren't abiding by Torah. Right?
Not quite. "There will be poor always," is in there somewhere, as are problems like death.

But as for most of the rest, that arguably constitute either "curses" or "plagues," YHVH makes the case that the problem is Rebellion. To Him.*

So, partial credit. But I think it's something worth discussing, whether it's a on a playground, or in a ghetto, or something that gets shadow-banned on Social[ist] Media.

And when it comes to things that directly affect marriage, and the problems which result from failing to walk in obedience to Him, I'd contend it's all right in the "wheelhouse" of a ministry that purports to support such.

As for the rest, I really don't care too much in THIS context about 'privileges' or how the 'shadow-ban' or whatever it's called when Big Brother's Public-Private Partners do it is accomplished, or even how best to be 'critical' of things that I suggest are
antithetical to a ministry dedicated to what His Word says about 'marriage'
to the point of being ultimately self-destructive.

You know what? People argue. Sometimes for very good reasons. Even happily married polygynous men and their wives - wait for it! - sometimes argue.

Pretending the problem, the inconsistency, or much less the "elephant in the room" doesn't exist...doesn't serve anyone.

So that is my criticism.

And - to the point of this thread:

I contend we have been told that walking in His Word (not some capitalized acronym like 'TK') is "not too hard" for us, that it is absolutely imperative in order to expect His protection and blessings, and that it boils down to a simple affirmative:

Choose life!

He literally IS, 'the way, the Truth, and The Life.'

But, exactly as a wife cannot pick and choose from the rules in the house established by her husband, neither can we, as subjects of the Most High, pick and choose and tell Him what parts of His Word we don't care to hear about.**

---------------------------------
* And just so we're clear, although I've said this before: I think MOST, not all, of the 'wide-scale' problems in a world which, I argue, literally HATES Yahuah and His Word, flow from what Yahushua called 'the love of money." Ironically, we don't even have honest 'money' any more; so much the worse.

** Oh, I know, and I can already hear (read) the response: Maybe, but just not HERE.

Well, in that case, my answer is that any husband which enforces that kind of rule in his house may be within his 'rights' as a property owner - but if he ignores the Word of YHVH, he can expect problems.

Thank you, Mark, for your loving and thorough response. And I really don't see any reason to dispute most of what you wrote (we agree on most all of it, in fact). But there's this, which may be getting to the nub of what I've been the most confused about:
...except for discussing some DIRECTLY RELATED ASPECTS of His Word that actually apply to marriage. Ostensibly the purpose of the entire forum.
Perhaps you will consider it best to do this in a 'private' message (which administrators still have at least the capability of reading), but I really do want to know what "DIRECTLY RELATED ASPECTS of His Word that actually apply to marriage" would not be permissible to articulate here in the Messianic Jews / Hebrew Roots Gentiles section.

Do you mind telling me?

I'm certainly ready to stand corrected, because, if you're right, then even setting aside this playground would then be somewhat of a farce.

but I really do want to know what "DIRECTLY RELATED ASPECTS of His Word that actually apply to marriage" would not be permissible to articulate here in the Messianic Jews / Hebrew Roots Gentiles section.

Do you mind telling me? (Emphasis
added)

I'm certainly ready to stand corrected, because, if you're right, then even setting aside this playground would then be somewhat of a farce.
Not at all. Some I may do privately, depending on what happens on THIS thread. But I assumed you had noticed that a thread called "You can't pick and choose" was pre-emptively locked, even here in the ghetto er, playground, because of where it might go.

As for the 'directly related aspects' that are in this thread, it's hard to hit closer to the target than that "two word" summary: Choose life! I continue to contend that it applies to marriage, and just about everything else, Ultimately, it's at the very heart of how to "rightly divide the Word."

But I assumed you had noticed that a thread called "You can't pick and choose" was pre-emptively locked
Unaware.

Remember, I was gone for over a year from here, and I'm banned from attending gatherings.

Out of the loop.
As for the 'directly related aspects' that are in this thread, it's hard to hit closer to the target than that "two word" summary: Choose life! I continue to contend that it applies to marriage, and just about everything else, Ultimately, it's at the very heart of how to "rightly divide the Word."
I have a t-shirt with that phrase on it, which is to say I like it and proudly proclaim it.

Tell me how you're applying it to marriage.

I have a t-shirt with that phrase [Choose Life] on it, which is to say I like it and proudly proclaim it.

Tell me how you're applying it to marriage.
That is, of course, the larger theme of this teaching, and it is ultimately, as I suggest, a great "two-word summary" of His entire Instruction.

In general, it is a "razor" for understanding and resolving what people might otherwise claim are 'contradictions" in Scripture. Things like, "if I can't 'work' on His sabbath, but my ox falls in the ditch, then what?" (Hopefully other readers here can see and recognize that one. ;) )

But it applies to almost every case where people try to "over-complicate" His Word in order to make it LOOK like "it's too hard for you." He's right; it's not.

And so, with marriage, too, it's literally a "life-saver."

Conflict? What appears to even be a "life or death" situation? Choose life.

Sometimes, it requires thinking through the consequences, and prayer, too.

Last edited:
Back