• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Holding all things in common

So which is it? Does He hate or does He not hate?

You tell me?

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

Matthew 5:43-45 “You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

I am just saying that the concept of hate as we know it as an emotion is not what is being spoken of here. How can it be, how can you hate yourself? If hate is murder and a disqualification for enteral life, but yet God does it, somethings not right.

If hate is murder and a disqualification for enteral life, but yet God does it, somethings not right.

That's an overly simplistic, black and white, view. Quite simply, while one shouldn't hate unjustly, God is compelled by justice and truth to hate the wicked.

How can it be, how can you hate yourself?

See #2:

HATE, verb transitive [Latin odi, for hodi.]

1. To dislike greatly; to have a great aversion to. It expresses less than abhor, detest, and abominate, unless pronounced with a peculiar emphasis.

How long will fools hate knowledge? Proverbs 1:22.

Blessed are ye when men shall hate you. Luke 6:22.

The Roman tyrant was contented to be hated, if he was but feared.

2. In Scripture, it signifies to love less.

If any man come to me, and hate not father and mother, etc. Luke 14:26.

He that spareth the rod, hateth his son. Proverbs 13:24.

HATE, noun Great dislike or aversion; hatred.

But really, it bleeds into #1 as well, for we are expected to die to ourselves and our carnal nature.

Anyway, God doesn't 'love less' the souls He sends to an eternity in hell. You don't get to hand wave away all the times God said He hates. Especially when He says things like...

An unjust man is an abomination to the righteous, And he who is upright in the way is an abomination to the wicked.

and

For the perverse person is an abomination to the LORD, But His secret counsel is with the upright.

and

These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him

There was a time I bought into the whole hate the sin love the sinner idea of the gospel of niceness. But I was forced to change my view of God based on what the scriptures actually say about the character of God.

That's an overly simplistic, black and white, view. Quite simply, while one shouldn't hate unjustly, God is compelled by justice and truth to hate the wicked.

Quite the contrary what I am suggesting is not simplistic, but actually rather complex.

But really, it bleeds into #1 as well, for we are expected to die to ourselves and our carnal nature.

Mark 12:31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

You're not really understanding what I am trying to say. Yes, dieing to our carnal nature will eventually happen, one way or the other, but it's more of turning to God and way from ourselves that's important.

Anyway, God doesn't 'love less' the souls He sends to an eternity in hell. You don't get to hand wave away all the times God said He hates. Especially when He says things like...

This is probably the reason we see things different.

TRIGGER EVENT: I don't really want to go into a debate about this. I would never be able to convince anyone, but I know this is going to upset a lot of people and I have no intention of starting another thread about it. (and no, I am not the only one that believes this, I know many others.)

Colossians 11:19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

There is no eternal Hell. Any reference to "eternal" is defined as an age, not everlasting. Yes there is suffering in the lake of fire, but it's not everlasting. There is a limit to suffering,

Deuteronomy 25:3 but the judge must not impose more than forty lashes. If the guilty party is flogged more than that, your fellow Israelite will be degraded in your eyes.

These are not simplistic things.

You tell me?

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.

1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

Matthew 5:43-45 “You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

I am just saying that the concept of hate as we know it as an emotion is not what is being spoken of here. How can it be, how can you hate yourself? If hate is murder and a disqualification for enteral life, but yet God does it, somethings not right.
1 John 3 11:18
11Because this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,
12not as Qayin who was of the wicked one and killed his brother. And why did he kill him? Because his works were wicked but those of his brother were righteous.
13Do not marvel, my brothers, if the world hates you.
14We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. The one not loving his brother stays in death.
15Everyone hating his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has everlasting life staying in him.
16By this we have known love, because He laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.
17But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his tender affections from him, how does the love of Elohim stay in him?
18My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

You're right its not about the emotion hate. It's about acting on the Truth. It's about the deeds (works) that come from those emotions that make you a muderer. If you hate your brother you with hold the things he needs to physically live when you could have helped him then you have killed him. If you withhold the truth of Yeshua HaMashiach and how to be His disciple from your brother then you've killed him. Because of hate you've become a muderer. Hate = murder when acted upon (or inaction depending on the circumstance) murder is a disqualification for enteral life.

Luke 14:16-33

A Parable

16But He said to him, “A certain man gave a great supper and invited many,
17and he sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were invited, ‘Come, for all is now ready.’
18“But one by one they all began making excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I need to go and see it. I ask you to have me excused.’
19And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out. I ask you to have me excused.’ ”
20“And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and because of this I am unable to come.’
21And that servant came and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house, being wroth, said to his servant, ‘Hurry out into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor, and crippled, and lame, and blind.’ ”
22“And the servant said, ‘Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there is room.’
23“And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the street corners and hedges, and compel them to come in, so that my house is filled.
24For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.’ ”

End parable but that's the main bulk of the context.

25And large crowds were going with Him, and turning, He said to them,

26If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and his own life too, he is unable to be My taught one.
27“And whoever does not bear his stake and come after Me is unable to be My taught one.
28For who of you, wishing to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?”

29“Otherwise, when he has laid the foundation, and is unable to finish it, all who see it begin to mock him,
30saying, ‘This man began to build and was unable to finish.’
31Or what sovereign, going to fight against another sovereign, does not sit down first and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?”
32“And if not, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace.
33So, then, every one of you who does not give up all that he has, is unable to be My taught one.

If you read the context it's not about actually hating but about being willing to sacrifice all for Messiah. About being all in. On fire, not Luke warm. Willing to make any sacrifice for the Lord.

Matthew 5:43–44

43You heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’
44“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those cursing you, do good to those hating you, and pray for those insulting you and persecuting you,

Exodus 23:4–5

4“When you meet your enemy’s ox or his donkey going astray, you shall certainly return it to him.
5“When you see the donkey of him who hates you lying under its burden, you shall refrain from leaving it to him, you shall certainly help him.

It's never been about the emotion of hate but the actions that stem from hate and love. You can say you love all you want if your actions don't show it then you dont love. If your actions say you hate and you push people from the truth then you hate and are a murderer.

Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, there is an interesting 3 part documentary in Amazon Prime called and about "Gloriavale" a Christian (cult?) community in New Zealand that shares everything and has no need of money within the community.

I am not sure I could live that way, but it is well worth watching to see what is possible.

Last edited:
Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, there is an interesting 3 part documentary in Amazon Prime called and about "Gloriavale" a Christian (cult?) community in New Zealand that shares everything and has no need of money within the community.

I am not sure I could live that way, but it is well worth watching to see what is possible.
Gloriavale is a religious cult and one I'm a little familiar with as my youngest daughter is married to a young man who escaped from this group. I wouldn't recommend anything about this group and its practises . Cheers

It is interesting to consider, on this particular day, living in community.
Governor Bradford set up a community under the Mayflower Compact and it failed miserably. Capitalism saved their lives.

Gloriavale is a religious cult and one I'm a little familiar with as my youngest daughter is married to a young man who escaped from this group. I wouldn't recommend anything about this group and its practises . Cheers
I didn't know that! Very interesting!
YHWH has laid those that leave Gloriavale on my heart in a big way. Samuel and I are going to a Gloriavale Leavers Support Trust meeting tomorrow night to find out more about helping them.

I've watched a few documentaries about them, and seen a few interview with those that have left. I love the idea of community that they have. They have some good stuff going on. They just have it mixed up with a lot of bad stuff too, and terrible theology mixed with fear. I wouldn't recommend the place at all, they only achieve what they do out of installing fear.

In my opinion, yes. Just as in the assembly.

1 Corinthians 16:2 . . . Let every one of you set by him in store as God hath prospered him.
Notice where he lays up his store. “By him”. Not giving it to someone else to store and disperse for him. (Though these men later entrusted it to another to deliver their gift as its recipient was not local.).

Same principle, same family, same structure of blessing.

Individual storehouses for immediate community blessing.

BTW. This is first century “tithing”. Not OT “ tenthing”. They are not the same thing at all. There is a vast difference between laying up treasure in heaven by free will investment in others and paying a percentage of your income to another for services rendered.
Thanks for that breakdown. Eye opening for me and very helpful.

Yes, and a fear that keeps people trapped in eternal spiritual darkness. Yet God in His mercy is drawing some out, and for that we praise and thank Him. Let me know how the meeting goes. Blessings
That is what I'm most concerned about. Plenty of people are giving money and clothes etc, but how many are helping these people understand the one true God? They need spiritual support as well as physical.

It is interesting to consider, on this particular day, living in community.
Governor Bradford set up a community under the Mayflower Compact and it failed miserably. Capitalism saved their lives.

There is a long tradition of Christians living out communal lifestyles (in the commune sense) successfully (and not just via fear). Monasteries are one example. Or look at the Hutterites. They are economically successful and growing; the very opposite of their 'capitalist' neighbors. There have been several Anabaptist groups through history that did this.

And you're confusing private property with capitalism.

Gloriavale is a religious cult

What makes it a cult? Not every group that gets called this is.

Yes, and a fear that keeps people trapped in eternal spiritual darkness.

Is this said out of a dislike for fear in general, or the specific kind and way of their fear? Fear is the beginning of wisdom, it's not all bad.

You're not really understanding what I am trying to say.....This is probably the reason we see things different.

And you're simply ignoring the scriptures that clearly state God hates. My perspective on hate doesn't depend on hell; that's just an easy proof. But I unequivocally reject the false gospel of universal salvation. If this is where the gospel of niceness leads it is worse than I thought.

What makes it a cult? Not every group that gets called this is.
Oh it's a cult.
They do not make any decisions for themselves, everything from what they wear, to what they eat, to what they will do in a day, to who they marry, is instructed by the leaders.
They are not allowed to leave. They're free to walk out the gates, if they don't get caught and taken to a 'meeting', but if they do so then they are going to hell for choosing to be with sinners. The only path to Jesus is through Gloriavale.
If a husband leaves, a wife is not to go with him, even if she must leave her children to stay. She will be dragged into a 'meeting' and lectured for hours on how she must choose between salvation or her husband. I heard testimony from a woman that this happened to, and my heart truly broke for her. She eventually chose her husband, after returning to Gloriavale and then leaving again. I can't imagine having to make a decision like that.
And that's just the beginning...

Oh it's a cult.
They do not make any decisions for themselves, everything from what they wear, to what they eat, to what they will do in a day, to who they marry, is instructed by the leaders.
They are not allowed to leave. They're free to walk out the gates, if they don't get caught and taken to a 'meeting', but if they do so then they are going to hell for choosing to be with sinners. The only path to Jesus is through Gloriavale.
If a husband leaves, a wife is not to go with him, even if she must leave her children to stay. She will be dragged into a 'meeting' and lectured for hours on how she must choose between salvation or her husband. I heard testimony from a woman that this happened to, and my heart truly broke for her. She eventually chose her husband, after returning to Gloriavale and then leaving again. I can't imagine having to make a decision like that.
And that's just the beginning...

Ok that's a cult. Not quite to Scientology levels of resistance to people leaving. But close.

But not all Christian communes are like this. There are many different very scriptural practices that cults will abuse, but that doesn't make the practices wrong.

Is this said out of a dislike for fear in general, or the specific kind and way of their fear? Fear is the beginning of wisdom, it's not all bad.
And again that is true except that the leadership of the Gloriavale cult keep the people trapped by using fear of losing their (false) salvation as a motivation to remain under their control. The fear generated by the leaders in the people isn't a 'fear of the Lord that is the beginning of wisdom'. This group destroys marriages and families through an ungodly fear. There's nothing good in it.

But I unequivocally reject the false gospel of universal salvation. If this is where the gospel of niceness leads it is worse than I thought.

Not wanting to drag this out but clear up this statement for everyone else, I do not believe in universal salvation, what I do believe is more in line with the restoration of all things. Always remember, one day we all thought plural marriage was wrong, so there is possibility that something's we think are right could very well be not exactly right. We need God's truth more than ours. I am just in a place where I'm waiting to see what God says on the matter.

Yes, and a fear that keeps people trapped in eternal spiritual darkness. Yet God in His mercy is drawing some out, and for that we praise and thank Him. Let me know how the meeting goes. Blessings
So we just came home from that meeting, and it was a real eye-opener for sure.

Gloriavale is not really Christian. Their theology is that you must obey God to get salvation, and their elders are the mouthpiece of God, so you have to obey the elders to be saved. The elders have set a million ridiculous rules (there's an entire book on exactly what knitting patterns you're allowed to use and not allowed to use for instance), and all have to be obeyed or your soul is at risk. There are Christians there, it is possible to find Christ there, but only by reading between the lines. One man related how one of the most defining moments in his journey was when he realised he was not actually a Christian - once he truly accepted Jesus, he started a series of changes in his theological understanding that resulted in him being excommunicated.

Also, they're not patriarchal. The women are all in head coverings, the community is led by men, it all looks patriarchal - but it is actually almost the exact opposite. Women are not taught to respect their husbands, and the nuclear family is not important. They are taught very strongly that the community comes first, family second. The children are in daycare from an early age, both parents are working. But the father is not really providing for the family, because of the communist system, whatever he does doesn't actually change their living conditions at all. So he's really just there to impregnate his wife. The women are not taught to respect him in any way. Also, they have arranged marriages, and many of the women are much older than their husbands - e.g. 5 years older - so they're marrying men they have viewed as children for most of their lives. But all this is by design - because they are taught to respect and obey the elders. The women see the elders as real men, real authority figures who actually hear from God.

So what is happening right now is that many men are leaving or being kicked out, either as teenagers (before marriage) or after marriage. But the women, being different personality-wise and being raised differently, are not leaving as readily. So many men are leaving - and their wives are left inside. They then have to persuade their wives to follow them. Their wives are in the position of being told by their husband (who they don't respect) "follow me, it's far better out here, and you won't go to hell". While the elders (who they have respected all their lives) tell them "if you leave and follow him you'll go to hell". They are told to abandon their husbands (completely contrary to scripture). It's very, very difficult for these women to decide to follow their husbands. Some do, and some do not. So families are broken up.

But the group gets lots of government subsidies for every child who stays. They run schools (that receive state funding), and get subsidies for each child that are intended for the parents but get taken by the cult (we have a very socialist taxation system). So they do everything they can to keep those women there, as that means keeping the children there, and that keeps the money flowing in. Very perverse.

There were allegations that there is sexual abuse and infidelity going on also, which is facilitated by the close communal living conditions. People mentioned marital unfaithfulness, paedophilia, and children who are known or suspected abusers of other children. And when infidelity is discovered, the women get the blame, the men get off basically scott-free. I must stress these were allegations raised in the meeting today in various conversations, I cannot confirm their truth, I'm just sharing what we heard tonight.

The reason they think they will go to hell if they leave is that everybody, by the age of 18, is expected to sign a contract that they will live in this community and obey the elders for the rest of their lives. One of the key provisions of this is that it is a vow before God, and they sign that if they break it they will lose their salvation. Because disobeying the elders is disobeying God, and wilfully disobeying God is deliberate sin. So it makes sense in a twisted way.

It's very sad because there are a lot of positive things about community, and this could be a great community. There's nothing fundamentally evil about having a commune, it is a legitimate interpretation of New Testament principles. This was truly started with good intentions.

But Satan has perverted it in order to discredit conservative Christians. I believe this group will be tolerated officially for many years, until its perversions are well "exposed" and publicised, and all conservative Christians are stained with it by the media. Then they will finally be shut down using overbearing law changes that make it more difficult for all conservative Christians. If they didn't serve such a purpose, they would have been shut down years ago (there's enough allegations of sexual abuse and legally questionable financial and contractual practices that they could probably be shut down today, if the government truly had a mind to, the fact they are allowed to operate indicates they serve a purpose).

Last edited:
Wow, that is worse than what I've personally been told by some whom God has saved and brought out of Gloriavale. Thank you for the report and adding more background info. Much appreciated. Cheers

Back