• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Homeschool styles?

windblown

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
For the past couple of years, we have been using a rather traditional approach to homeschool, using mostly Abeka curriculum and Saxon math. But we are more interested in classical education. Does anyone have experience with it and Classical Conversations in particular? What style homeschool fits your family best and why?

I would like to know more about this as well. I am going to be partly homeschooling my younger daughter for history and science. So any good problems or Material or Advice would be helpful. With her health and me not being able to home school her she is really behind in reading and writing and math so she will be going to the school for those topics for extra help in them to get Caught up. I feel the other ones at the school will be to much with her being behind and also don’t like what they teach in those other Subjects in public school. If I could homeschool full time I would but am not in the place to at this time. So doing one or to subjects is really the only thing I can do. If it easier to send me any links or more info on programs ect you can send it to my email at RachelleWest2021@gmail.com. Please only lady’s send me info to the email. If one of the man have info please send it here or message my husband the info. Thank you any help in this.

Some 20 years ago we used the ACE/PACE system to good effect in an orphanage in Mexico.
But I have no idea what the current state of the industry is.

There was a business out of Oregon that relied heavily on reading a number of downloaded/printable books that looked very attractive. Don’t remember their name.

I have no experience with Classical Conversations, other than knowing people that have used it before and loved it. We used My Father’s World curriculum in the past and that’s a mixture of classical and Charlotte Mason. We really loved that one!
BUT, in an effort to save money, I now use Easy Peasy (which is free) and Schoolhouse Teachers. My kids are all older, though, so online school is working really well for us.
I’m finding, homeschooling high school is a completely different experience.
I hope you find the answers you’re looking for!

I have no experience with Classical Conversations, other than knowing people that have used it before and loved it. We used My Father’s World curriculum in the past and that’s a mixture of classical and Charlotte Mason. We really loved that one!
BUT, in an effort to save money, I now use Easy Peasy (which is free) and Schoolhouse Teachers. My kids are all older, though, so online school is working really well for us.
I’m finding, homeschooling high school is a completely different experience.
I hope you find the answers you’re looking for!
Thank you for responding!

Sorry. Nothing to contribute. We'd originally intended to home school, but then Kristin panicked just before autistic Felix was old enough to enter Kindergarten and insisted to my then-p***y self that we send him to public school, I got involved with helping out at school, taking Mercer with me, which got him hankering for going there, and the rest is history.

All I can say is, don't do what I did. Massive fail.

We do more unschooling and then have put together a variety of different curriculums and resources to suit each child's needs. We have never used Classical Conversations.

We've tried using ACE, but it wasn't right for the child we tried it on, and it was a lot of book work / make work for very little result. It would probably work well for another child, but we dumped it and moved on to something else. I also didn't like how we couldn't reuse much of it for other children.

For our two high school age children, we have them doing something different. They both have maths to do, one does Life of Fred, and one does Math-u-see with a weekly meeting with a tutor (his grandmother). Then they both have a book to read that week. Sometimes it's the same book and they share, sometimes it's a different book. It might be a book or a section of a book of the bible. Or it's something based on history, or fiction, or science or whatever. We introduce a lot of topics here.
When they have finished reading the book they have to submit a report to us in some way. Sometimes it's a written book report, sometimes they make a movie, sometimes they produce something from the book (eg, a cake from a recipe book, or a toasting fork from '100 things a boy can make'), sometimes they give a speech. The point is that they can show us that they understood the concepts we were trying to teach through the book they were given.
Wednesdays we join together with Samuel's sister and all the children do science, music, and art.

The middle children do a mixture of Reading eggs, reading, Life of Fred, writing etc.

The younger children have their own worksheets to do based on phonics. They also do reading with me, writing, and Reading Eggs and Mathseeds.

We like to have plenty of time for unschooling. I can't even really explain to you what this would be as it's just taking opportunities when they arrive. Like, Samuel might take a child to the supermarket, and that doesn't seem like school, but he sends them to find the cheapest packet of chips, and they have to learn what is the cheapest by weight and then how advertising works etc. So it becomes real life learning.
Or, maybe Gramps needs help on the farm today and the children are learning how to plan when to introduce the rams to the ewes or how to shift ewes and lambs or how to fix a fence etc.

For the next few weeks we are going to spend a lot of time watching the olympics. For example, in 2 days there will be canoe slalom on. When on earth do they get to see that?! This is school, even when it's not book work, it's introducing these events, understanding they could do these when they're older if they want to, and seeing diversity out there. And it's geography, learning about different countries, flags, people, etc. So yeah, it might look like sitting in front of a screen, but it's more.

And some days when I'm sick or the kids are sick, all we do is sit in front of the computer and watch documentaries. The kids LOVE this! Sometimes it's nature documentaries, and sometimes it's how to train a dog or extreme cake bakers or whatever. It's all learning, and that's what's important.

For Classical education (Western and classics Centric) Hillsdale College actually has academies they sponsor across the country. I don't believe it has a homeschooling element, though. I could be mistaken, though. Speaking of Hillsfale, they have great, free online courses in the classics and history.

Liberty University and Bob Jones U both have a fairly conservative homeschool program for all ages too.

Note: I don't use any of these programs, but just thought I would add a little flavor to your inquiry.

We do more unschooling and then have put together a variety of different curriculums and resources to suit each child's needs. We have never used Classical Conversations.

We've tried using ACE, but it wasn't right for the child we tried it on, and it was a lot of book work / make work for very little result. It would probably work well for another child, but we dumped it and moved on to something else. I also didn't like how we couldn't reuse much of it for other children.

For our two high school age children, we have them doing something different. They both have maths to do, one does Life of Fred, and one does Math-u-see with a weekly meeting with a tutor (his grandmother). Then they both have a book to read that week. Sometimes it's the same book and they share, sometimes it's a different book. It might be a book or a section of a book of the bible. Or it's something based on history, or fiction, or science or whatever. We introduce a lot of topics here.
When they have finished reading the book they have to submit a report to us in some way. Sometimes it's a written book report, sometimes they make a movie, sometimes they produce something from the book (eg, a cake from a recipe book, or a toasting fork from '100 things a boy can make'), sometimes they give a speech. The point is that they can show us that they understood the concepts we were trying to teach through the book they were given.
Wednesdays we join together with Samuel's sister and all the children do science, music, and art.

The middle children do a mixture of Reading eggs, reading, Life of Fred, writing etc.

The younger children have their own worksheets to do based on phonics. They also do reading with me, writing, and Reading Eggs and Mathseeds.

We like to have plenty of time for unschooling. I can't even really explain to you what this would be as it's just taking opportunities when they arrive. Like, Samuel might take a child to the supermarket, and that doesn't seem like school, but he sends them to find the cheapest packet of chips, and they have to learn what is the cheapest by weight and then how advertising works etc. So it becomes real life learning.
Or, maybe Gramps needs help on the farm today and the children are learning how to plan when to introduce the rams to the ewes or how to shift ewes and lambs or how to fix a fence etc.

For the next few weeks we are going to spend a lot of time watching the olympics. For example, in 2 days there will be canoe slalom on. When on earth do they get to see that?! This is school, even when it's not book work, it's introducing these events, understanding they could do these when they're older if they want to, and seeing diversity out there. And it's geography, learning about different countries, flags, people, etc. So yeah, it might look like sitting in front of a screen, but it's more.

And some days when I'm sick or the kids are sick, all we do is sit in front of the computer and watch documentaries. The kids LOVE this! Sometimes it's nature documentaries, and sometimes it's how to train a dog or extreme cake bakers or whatever. It's all learning, and that's what's important.
You guys sound like amazing parents. :D

For Classical education (Western and classics Centric) Hillsdale College actually has academies they sponsor across the country. I don't believe it has a homeschooling element, though. I could be mistaken, though. Speaking of Hillsfale, they have great, free online courses in the classics and history.

Liberty University and Bob Jones U both have a fairly conservative homeschool program for all ages too.

Note: I don't use any of these programs, but just thought I would add a little flavor to your inquiry.
I’ve always liked Bob Jones but mostly because of the movie Lady Killers..

Every Coen Brothers movie is a gem.

I've also got my eldest two boys hooked into an open source computer game, with an ulterior motive. It's very easy to make plugins for this specific game, and they're looking for more content for the core game also. They are writing a plugin for the game, under my direction to keep the quality up to a reasonably adult standard. Once it's working well we'll add the plugin into the core game code and submit it as a suggested addition to the game. Lots of learning here - git, github, coding, bugfixing, collaboration, writing fiction, producing computer-generated artwork etc. No idea how far we'll get in that ambitious plan, but it will be fun and they'll learn a lot along the way whether or not we finish it. The only problem is that this particular schoolwork is too fun - it's distracting for me!

Recently a person who works at an industrial facility had to go and do routine checks of the equipment outside regular hours, so took our three eldest children to assist and for a full educational tour of the site. There are learning opportunities in many places, and one opportunity like this teaches more than weeks of bookwork.

As part of their reading material, our older children are going through The Tuttle Twins series on economics and civics, and reading the background books behind the series whenever I can source them (which are classic works like "The Law" and "Economics in One Lesson"). This starts some great conversations.

We get a lot for the kids from David Barton and Wall Builders. I'll admit to learning a LOT more about America through these books and studies.

https://wallbuilders.com/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=david+ba...=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_7t3l203ck5_e
What would you say your homeschool style is? More of an unschooling like the FollowingHims? Traditional curricula, subjects, book work, etc.? Then there’s the Charlotte Mason approach which I’m not even sure how it varies from the others...

What would you say your homeschool style is? More of an unschooling like the FollowingHims? Traditional curricula, subjects, book work, etc.? Then there’s the Charlotte Mason approach which I’m not even sure how it varies from the others...

We try to keep the kids studying things they're interested in and then also getting them exposed to topics they don't like but need to know. And that changes depending on the child. Like Eric is into mechanical things so his studies lean that way. Laura loves to read and she's pretty good at math so we focus that way for her. The younger kids we use old reading and math books. Emma is into calligraphy and right now is learning Spencerian script which we got the workbooks from Amazon for her.

Back