• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Homesteading and relying on what God made

We pray with Hashem's help we hope to keep looking for a good spot to start ours. We are wantimg.to also get off the grid and live off the.lamd He is giving us. Your place is beautiful

We are canning peaches!
The best time to plant a fruit bearing tree is ten years ago....next best time is today!

Harvest off our three Redhaven trees gets bigger every year. They were planted in 2012.

20190814_154236.jpg 20190814_154055.jpg 20190814_154215.jpg 20190814_154154.jpg 20190814_125017.jpg 20190814_124943.jpg This is Peachnochio!

We took him off a tree this morning. He looked like a unique peach even before we made him an ....um ..."real peach??"

Someone else might have made him something different. He had potential!
"He" provided entertainment for everyone helping can his companions today.

Yesterday we canned 14 gallons of peaches and a gallon of juice. Still at it today. Here are some of his buddies.

Last edited:
View attachment 1135 View attachment 1136 View attachment 1137 View attachment 1138 View attachment 1139 View attachment 1140 This is Peachnochio!

We took him off a tree this morning. He looked like a unique peach even before we made him an ....um ..."real peach??"

Someone else might have made him something different. He had potential!
"He" provided entertainment for everyone helping can his companions today.

Yesterday we canned 14 gallons of peaches and a gallon of juice. Still at it today. Here are some of his buddies.

14 gallons of peaches? That's impressive!! I remember a few years back we had a huge harvest of tomatoes. We canned so much spaghetti sauce, tomato soup, and salsa. We still are eating the "fruits" of our labor to this day. YHVH is so good!

14 gallons of peaches? That's impressive!! I remember a few years back we had a huge harvest of tomatoes. We canned so much spaghetti sauce, tomato soup, and salsa. We still are eating the "fruits" of our labor to this day. YHVH is so good!
Hopefully someday we will have that kind of tomato crop here.....again. There are many cases of canned tomatoes in the basement from before my time in this family, but we have had problems with a virus I believe for as long as I can remember that takes out half the plants ...or more....every year. The next plan is to grow the maters in virus free soil in raised beds.
As much as I/we like gardening, the regular work this year has been busy enough to crowd out the gardening. So this year we are giving thanks for a growing business. :)
Our boys will hopefully be able to "harvest" the good reputation when providing for their families.

Love the pictures so awesome seeing such a beautiful blue sky. thanks for sharing David D. Jez and I moved to my sister's farm to help run it and got the taste for acreage. We had our own garden and grew a large number of veggies, but we never had cattle as m brother-in-law had about 30 head already. Due to some problems we had to move into the town and have been here for some time now. Even thou there is a plot of a garden nothing wanted to grow right, So we have set our sight and praying for around 1000 arces so we can get lost in it and also help provide food to others whom as times seem to get worse and can not afford to pay for their food, we can supply them with. Plus cattle, sheep, and some oinkers, and of course chickens. Sound all good, just need the blessing of the lord for the purchase... opps forgot goats are very yummy and do well in my Butter chicken, lol.

I think every creature has its place. My hubby and oldest daughter both want a cow, and I can understand the why.
We ended up getting three cows this year. We have not bought butter in many months, as we have figured out how to culture and churn the cream. We also made a lot of cheese with the sheep milk.

Here are some wheels of cheese. The largest (with the brown coating) weigh about 20 lbs. Jack is the favorite so far. This is a drier version that keeps longer. Being salted before pressing means less chance of mold growing inside the wheel.
The jar in the back is sauerkraut.
20200815_063811.jpg 20200815_063822.jpg

@Joleneakamama you have so many wonderful skills! I wish y’all weren’t so far away from north Idaho, I would love to learn from you.

So its the time of year when we turn lambs into freezer pets. Our favorite thing by far is sausage, though lamb chops or ribs off the grill are excellent!

We are just learning to use our new sausage stuffer. Cleaning casings has been figured out too. ;)
Here is about 19 lbs of breakfast sausage links. Once they dry just a bit we cut them apart and freeze them.
20201209_200141.jpg

We raise sheep that are a mix of breeds. Predominately Katahdin and Dorper there is also some St Croix and East Freisian in the mix. They are super easy to keep. No shearing with the hair breeds and even the crosses often shed. They rarely need their hooves done, they are good mothers. Good milkers too and they make gourmet quality meat and milk out of even strong flavored weeds! Not too big to process at home. Our boys can get one hanging in 30 to 45 minutes, and to cut them up takes about the same. They fatten on just forage. No grain needed. On top of that they are gentle and friendly.
In short, they are perfect backyard or small farm livestock.

That wet little lamb in the picture below was the third this good old ewe had that year. She is so friendly now she almost hugs me, getting so close her chest is touching mine and the side of her head is against my ear before she is happy. She loves to be pet and scratched. Her sis standing there didn't make the cut this year. Itty bitty titties aren't good if you end up hand milking. :(
One MUST keep in mind they ALL taste good!
Cuter with hair, easier to eat without it. :D:rolleyes::cool::p20190118_130350.jpg 20201208_123154.jpg
We cut the meat of the lambs shoulders for grinding and also grind the belly meat for sausage. I put a couple back legs in too off a smaller ewe. We ALWAYS run out of sausage, so we never have too much.
The other parts from a few animals are pictured here after hubby and our second son cut them up. We have legs for roasting....or I'm thinking about experimenting with curing and smoking since @FollowingHim2 mentioned mutton ham once. :) There are a lot of rib and loin chops cut out of the backbone, rib racks for grilling, shanks, and necks.

I didn't get a picture after wrapping it all. We use plastic and then lined paper. It keeps very well, and rarely lasts much over a year.....not because it won't, but because there are no vegetenarians here! Even our youngest likes meat.

Last edited:
We raise sheep that are a mix of breeds. Predominately Katahdin and Dorper there is also some St Croix and East Freisian in the mix. They are super easy to keep. No shearing with the hair breeds and even the crosses often shed. They rarely need their hooves done, they are good mothers. Good milkers too and they make gourmet quality meat and milk out of even strong flavored weeds! Not too big to process at home. Our boys can get one hanging in 30 to 45 minutes, and to cut them up takes about the same. They fatten on just forage. No grain needed. On top of that they are gentle and friendly.
In short, they are perfect backyard or small farm livestock.

That wet little lamb in the picture below was the third this good old ewe had that year. She is so friendly now she almost hugs me, getting so close her chest is touching mine and the side of her head is against my ear before she is happy. She loves to be pet and scratched. Her sis standing there didn't make the cut this year. Itty bitty titties aren't good if you end up hand milking. :(
One MUST keep in mind they ALL taste good!
Cuter with hair, easier to eat without it. :D:rolleyes::cool::pView attachment 2027 View attachment 2028
We cut the meat of the lambs shoulders for grinding and also grind the belly meat for sausage. I put a couple back legs in too off a smaller ewe. We ALWAYS run out of sausage, so we never have too much.
The other parts from a few animals are pictured here after hubby and our second son cut them up. We have legs for roasting....or I'm thinking about experimenting with curing and smoking since @FollowingHim2 mentioned mutton ham once. :) There are a lot of rib and loin chops cut out of the backbone, rib racks for grilling, shanks, and necks.

I didn't get a picture after wrapping it all. We use plastic and then lined paper. It keeps very well, and rarely lasts much over a year.....not because it won't, but because there are no vegetenarians here! Even our youngest likes meat.
How many do you have to put up to last a year?

How many do you have to put up to last a year?
That depends to a point on how much beef, turkey, quail, chukar, or what not we manage to put up as well. We can super easy eat 400 lbs of sausage. We don't grind the whole beast either. I think we did something like 20+ head of sheep last year as well as a 650 or so pound heifer, another 1/4 of a beef we got for helping a neighbor process one, probably 35 turkeys, and we raised 200 or so partridge.
We still have some lamb from last year, and one turkey. Ran out of beef, turkey soup base, and sausage.

So its the time of year when we turn lambs into freezer pets. Our favorite thing by far is sausage, though lamb chops or ribs off the grill are excellent!

We are just learning to use our new sausage stuffer. Cleaning casings has been figured out too. ;)
Here is about 19 lbs of breakfast sausage links. Once they dry just a bit we cut them apart and freeze them.
View attachment 2025
“Freezer pets”! Are you tired of those annoying pets that require food and water? Are you sick of pesky, noisy, animated animals?! Try freezer pets!! They don’t require food, water, or affection! Just give them a steady supply of electricity! And they’re delicious too!! Collect the whole line!!! Freezer not included, electricity sold separately...

Freezer pets, they are more than a member of your family, they literally become part of your family.

Yesterday our boys slaughtered a ram I was quite fond of.....I was the only one though. He was super friendly as a lamb, choosing to follow and observe whover was our in the pasture. Then when he hit about a year old and the hormones kicked in, his usual approach for petting turned into ramming. He hit several of the boys, and our daughter when 8 years old did a flying belly flop one day when she walked too close and then couldn't outrun him.
I have rams now with better genetics ....and better manners.
He will be sausage. The kids will miss him......after the sausage runs out. :p

I will miss him....but not the liability. I tried ....but it is hard to place an animal that is dangerous. He was not fearful, or mean (like the ram that beat our oldest daughter up when she was 3) but he was big enough to hurt someone.

This guy was a son of the old ewe above.
20191015_135236.jpg
Not the kind of critter you want to see bearing down on you!

Yesterday our boys slaughtered a ram I was quite fond of.....I was the only one though. He was super friendly as a lamb, choosing to follow and observe whover was our in the pasture. Then when he hit about a year old and the hormones kicked in, his usual approach for petting turned into ramming. He hit several of the boys, and our daughter when 8 years old did a flying belly flop one day when she walked too close and then couldn't outrun him.
I have rams now with better genetics ....and better manners.
He will be sausage. The kids will miss him......after the sausage runs out. :p

I will miss him....but not the liability. I tried ....but it is hard to place an animal that is dangerous. He was not fearful, or mean (like the ram that beat our oldest daughter up when she was 3) but he was big enough to hurt someone.

This guy was a son of the old ewe above.
View attachment 2029
Not the kind of critter you want to see bearing down on you!
I can see the mischief in his eyes

Back