• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How do those on here define "being a Christian" ?

JudahYAHites

Male
Are YAHushuWaH's / Jesus's teachings, instructions, commands in the gospels to be kept or is it everything after his resurrection that is applicable to be Christians?

You're trying to define "being a Christian" through defining the details of what a Christian would do. That's not how I would define "being a Christian".

A Christian is someone who has truly accepted Jesus as Lord. Master.

A Christian will then do whatever he or she honestly believes their Lord commands them to do.

This may look different for each person. Firstly, everyone will be wrong about something, and usually wrong about different things, so there will be variation in practice simply because each person gets different things wrong. Secondly, their Lord may actually command different people to do different things - one couple He may tell to leave their family size up to him, while another may be instructed to take control of that matter because he has a task for them which a large number of children would hinder. It is very tempting to assume that what God has impressed on your heart for you to do, is what he expects everyone else to do also - but that may not always be the case. We need to have humility, and let everyone stand before the judgement of their Lord.

You're trying to define "being a Christian" through defining the details of what a Christian would do. That's not how I would define "being a Christian".
How can you tell me what I am trying to do?
I asked a simple question, maybe I should have fleshed the original question out a bit more, nevertheless you are way off in your assumption and your response.

A Christian is someone who has truly accepted Jesus as Lord. Master.

A Christian will then do whatever he or she honestly believes their Lord commands them to do.

This may look different for each person. Firstly, everyone will be wrong about something, and usually wrong about different things, so there will be variation in practice simply because each person gets different things wrong. Secondly, their Lord may actually command different people to do different things - one couple He may tell to leave their family size up to him, while another may be instructed to take control of that matter because he has a task for them which a large number of children would hinder. It is very tempting to assume that what God has impressed on your heart for you to do, is what he expects everyone else to do also - but that may not always be the case. We need to have humility, and let everyone stand before the judgement of their Lord.

I will flesh out the question below

How can you tell me what I am trying to do?
I asked a simple question, maybe I should have fleshed the original question out a bit more, nevertheless you are way off in your assumption and your response.
It came across that way quite clearly, as your question in the title was "what is a Christian", but your post talked solely about details of behaviour. If it has came across differently to what you intended a clarification would be helpful.

Are YAHushuWaH's / Jesus's teachings, instructions, commands in the gospels to be kept or is it everything after his resurrection that is applicable to be Christians?

And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch. — Acts 11:26 KJV

YAHushuWaH/ Jesus stated clearly...

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; — John 8:31 KJV

I have heard two different definitions by Christians one side that takes in the whole new testament the other side believes Christian's only adhere to what was revealed AFTER his resurrection.

How do YOU define being a "Christian"?

And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch. — Acts 11:26 KJV
So "Christian" is a label for "disciple of Jesus" (that's the definition you requested).
I have heard two different definitions by Christians one side that takes in the whole new testament the other side believes Christian's only adhere to what was revealed AFTER his resurrection.

How do YOU define being a "Christian"?
And people with both viewpoints are disciples of Jesus (Christian). Because if they were not sincerely trying to be disciples of Him they would not hold either viewpoint. Now, one or both viewpoints may be wrong, but the followers of the wrong viewpoint would still be disciples of Jesus, just wrong about some stuff.

It came across that way quite clearly, as your question in the title was "what is a Christian", but your post talked solely about details of behaviour. If it has came across differently to what you intended a clarification would be helpful.
No you blatantly reframed my question I asked

How do those on here define "being a Christian" ?​

You reframed it as

and...

your question in the title was "what is a Christian",

No it was not read again

but your post talked solely about details of behaviour.

Again no it did not it was very clear

I highlighted the gospels and post resurrection

If it has came across differently to what you intended a clarification would be helpful.

Not at all you have reframed literally everything that I wrote and have answered something of your own imagination as if you are intentionally trying to find something to pick at.

Is there an issue of some sort why you would do that ?

@JudahYAHites, I am simply honestly answering your question "how do you define being a Christian". I have no ulterior motive, and I do not understand what has caused you to be so upset. You asked the question, clearly expecting a range of answers, and I have given mine. Let's see what others say.

How do reconcile what you assert here

Now, one or both viewpoints may be wrong, but the followers of the wrong viewpoint would still be disciples of Jesus, just wrong about some stuff.

With what the master said here....

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. — John 8:31-32 KJV

How do reconcile what you assert here

With what the master said here....

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. — John 8:31-32 KJV
Romans 14. Let each man be fully persuaded in his own mind. As clearly outlined in that chapter, there will be differences of opinion and practice, but those of both opinions are still servants of the Lord - because they are doing what they honestly believe He commands. We don't have to be completely correct to be accepted by Him - and isn't that a good thing! I'm sure there was a time in your past when you believed differently about some of these matters to what you do today, so if we had to be correct in order to be a true disciple, and you're correct now, had you died back then you'd have been lost (and vice versa - if you were right then but wrong now you'd be lost if you died today). Isn't it wonderful that God extends grace to us and accepts us despite our weaknesses and failures?

Because fortunately "...the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

Edit: Both are continuing in his word to the best of their present understanding.

@JudahYAHites, I am simply honestly answering your question "how do you define being a Christian". I have no ulterior motive, and I do not understand what has caused you to be so upset. You asked the question, clearly expecting a range of answers, and I have given mine. Let's see what others say.
I will repeat what I have said on public thread and one to one. I understand it can be difficult to ascertain tone from text as the reader is reading from their own voice in their own head, however, I say this here, it is unwise and presumptuous to believe that you can know someone's emotional state or intention through text, unless clearly expressed, which is why it is best to ask as I did with you, rather than assume (again) as you have with me.

Romans 14. Let each man be fully persuaded in his own mind. As clearly outlined in that chapter, there will be differences of opinion and practice, but those of both opinions are still servants of the Lord - because they are doing what they honestly believe He commands. We don't have to be completely correct to be accepted by Him - and isn't that a good thing! I'm sure there was a time in your past when you believed differently about some of these matters to what you do today, so if we had to be correct in order to be a true disciple, and you're correct now, had you died back then you'd have been lost (and vice versa - if you were right then but wrong now you'd be lost if you died today). Isn't it wonderful that God extends grace to us and accepts us despite our weaknesses and failures?

Because fortunately "...the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

Roman's 14 is referring to something in particular, so that is stretching the context there.

We are all being changed from glory unto glory and Ephesians 4 let's us know that the ministers that YAHushuWaH gives to the ekklesia are until we all come to the unity of the faith.

And yes 1 Samuel 16:7 is applicable.

However...

My question is about what an individual defines as being a Christian if it is based on the whole new testament or is it based on what was revealed after the resurrection.

The first time I heard of post resurrection christianity as it were, was from a roman catholic priest. Since then I have heard protestants declaring the same thing.

I believe and adhere to the whole new testament including the gospels.

The first time I heard of post resurrection christianity
I was today years old when I learned of the concept.
So I guess that for many people, the first part of the NT is still a part of the OT.

I was today years old when I learned of the concept.
So I guess that for many people, the first part of the NT is still a part of the OT.
That is exactly what I was told, that the gospels are OT because the blood of the new covenant had not been shed yet !

That is exactly what I was told, that the gospels are OT because the blood of the new covenant had not been shed yet !
That’s quite a shocker, but it makes sense if you are insistent on separating the two.

I'll address the question you pose as the heading to this thread;

The Author of the Scriptures tells us who a Christian is in Acts 11:26; And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

How one might define "being a Christian" will depend on one's understanding of the word disciples; μαθητὰς in the text. The most basic answer to "being a Christian" is being a disciple in the correct sense and understanding of the word. Shalom

I'll address the question you pose as the heading to this thread;

The Author of the Scriptures tells us who a Christian is in Acts 11:26; And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

How one might define "being a Christian" will depend on one's understanding of the word disciples; μαθητὰς in the text. The most basic answer to "being a Christian" is being a disciple in the correct sense and understanding of the word. Shalom

Thanks for your response what about this question?

I don't think the disciples called themselves Christians. Mull that over for awhile, if you would.

Were Peter and John flogged for preaching to Jews about the law and methodology, or for performing miracles and preaching about a man who the Jews crucified and what His death and resurrection means for us? Was Stephen stoned for speaking about the Torah or about a man whom they crucified? Were numbers added daily to the Christians, or to those who believed? Did the thief on the cross do one single thing besides believe?

I don't think the word "Christian" and the Son of God really go hand in hand. And I think that, once you break that link in your mind which was put there by man, you will begin to see what is meant by, "Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

In other words: nothing about you needs to change in order to take part in the inheritance of those who love Him. His atonement has zero to do with "keeping" anything. You don't have to "become a Christian", erase your tatoos, divorce your extra wives, or give up drinking and join a church. And yes, you may observe the Torah if you so desire. It's all immaterial. You might be a pious Jew or a filthy gentile. Just believe.

Last edited:

I agree with @FollowingHim that your list of requirements here are superfluous to the question of your topic.

Your question is

And then you go on to essentially set boundaries as to influence the responses to your loaded question. You are begging the question which is intellectually dishonest.

Myself, I apply the standard that Billy Graham set in a sermon of his and I will paraphrase it here for you:

Through no fault of his own a man finds himself alone on a deserted island. He will live out his days here alone and with no further human contact.

In the course of his time on the island he finds his faith in God and accepts Jesus Christ as his personal savior.

This man will never evangelize, he will never perform a ritual, he will never attend church, he will never read Scripture, he will perform no acts of charity, and he will be ignorant of Biblical laws.

Will this man enter the Kingdom of Heaven even though he has not fulfilled even one earthly religious requirement?

Did God place this man on the island only to condemn him to Hell? Of course not.

And if you believe that this man cannot enter Heaven by his faith alone and wholly absent any religious acts...then you're worshiping the wrong god.

Back