• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support How does one become a Chrstian?

BarefootSpirit916

Female
One of the two reasons for me joining, other than polygamy, was to understand the Christian faith. For a while I have felt the urge to look into Christianity but everywhere I turn I'm confused because there's so many churches of different denominations, so many Christians of different stripes and backgrounds. Where do I start if I have too many options and no clue if I'm following the correct church.

So long story short, I want to know God. That's my first goal! This way I'll be able to sow a seed in my heart that will eventually germinate into a blessing of rebirth. Then I'll be able know that the path I follow is the right one.

It's no mistake I'm on the forum tonight and responded to your introduction to the forum. You just read my post to your thread. May I encourage you to not be consumed with trying to figure out which church or which denomination is going to be the right one. As big as your state is and as big our USA is, you could spend the rest of your life going from one to the other trying to figure out which one is getting it right. Please, get a Bible, and I would encourage you to begin reading in the book of John which is found in the New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). The book of John is pretty easy to understand and will help you to begin to see and know who Jesus, the Son of God is. You will also see how much He loved while He was here walking among us humans on Earth during His life time. You will see how much He still loves! Get alone so you can focus upon what you read. Turn off the tv, put your phone on silent if you have to, but let yourself read and digest the words of the Lord Jesus. He loves you right now, for who you are, just the way you are. :) He desires more than anything for you to want to turn to Him, to see yourself as unable to do anything that could possibly be good enough to work your way into Heaven, to also realize that you have lived your life as all of us have--sinning, to want to turn away from that by His grace and with His help (don't try to clean yourself up first, just turn to the Lord Jesus and ask for His help.) He sees you, He loves you, He's waiting for you to ask Him to help you, to be your Redeemer. He knew no human could ever pay their own sin debt so He paid it for us--on the cross of Calvary--because He so loved (John 3:16) and because He first loved (I John 4:19). There's no special words you have to say. Just be real as you talk with Jesus. Pour out your heart to Him. Let His love fill you. Our Lord is a gentleman. He'll never force you to turn to Him. He patiently waits for you to make your choice. Let His Word speak to you. The book of John is where you should begin. I personally will be praying very specifically for you. Because you are a new member on the forum, you will not be able to send me a private message yet. I'd really enjoy getting to visit with you. Blessings to you my friend!

Where do I start if I have too many options and no clue if I'm following the correct church.

You're in luck, there is no correct church and anyone who says different is trying to sell you something :D

There's about as many understandings on 'how to worship God' on this board as there are people, but the simple fact is that everyone who puts their faith in Jesus' blood sacrifice for our sin and His Resurrection is saved, and we'll all have to enter the same Kingdom no matter what our opinions were here on earth.

I won't say more because @rejoicinghandmaid pretty much said it all.

Oh, wow! You're right about that. When there's more then one route to take, it's easy to find yourself to be lost. No, I'll let Jesus be my guide because I know his hand will be able to guide me to the truth! By admitting I'm a sinner I realize I am dirty, but with Jesus's sacrifice I'm able to be free from sin and become clean. Therefore I accept him into my heart. He's now my personal savior and lord!

It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. God is good! I feel no shame in admitting I'm a Christian now. Knowing I'm following Jesus there's no way I can get lost! And I have so many brothers and sisters that I feel like being in one huge family!

Oh, wow! You're right about that. When there's more then one route to take, it's easy to find yourself to be lost. No, I'll let Jesus be my guide because I know his hand will be able to guide me to the truth! By admitting I'm a sinner I realize I am dirty, but with Jesus's sacrifice I'm able to be free from sin and become clean. Therefore I accept him into my heart. He's now my personal savior and lord!

It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. God is good! I feel no shame in admitting I'm a Christian now. Knowing I'm following Jesus there's no way I can get lost! And I have so many brothers and sisters that I feel like being in one huge family!

Praise God!

Amen, sister! I do encourage you to give @rejoicinghandmaid a call as well. Having a fellow believer to talk to can be a great help :D :D :D
Right, it's always nice to be in good company. I can't call tonight, but she's more then welcome to message me here. It's late, I have classes and I don't know if my phone can do long distance without being charged! So I'll have to make sure first before I call her.

@BarefootSpirit916 I'm rejoicing with you like you can't believe. I was just finishing logging all my contacts for the day from my phone to my planner and was just about ready to shut down the computer. The BF site was still up so I thought I'd check once more to see if there was any other activity. OH my goodness--how my heart is full and running over!!! I don't know if I can even go to sleep right now I'm so excited for you. Your life will never be the same!! You are now a daughter of the King--the most High God. How He loves you and rejoices in your decision! You are my baby sister in the Lord now. :) I will daily pray for you. As a new baby you must have milk--start reading the book of John. Don't think you have to read a certain amount each day, but do eat!:) Read until you get something from your reading. Then stop and think on it, meditate, digest it, make it yours. Then read some more maybe later that day or the next day. A healthy baby is fed on demand as that mama nurses her baby. Every baby's schedule is different. You are unique, you're special. Don't try to fit into what someone else is telling you to do as far as how much to read or how often to read. As a new baby Christian you will no doubt find yourself very thirsty for the sincere milk of the Word. Soak it up. Soak in it. Let me encourage you to start a journal--even tonight before you go to bed. Write down your thoughts. How did you get here to this point in your life tonight? How do you feel now that you have turned to Jesus? You've already shared some of that here. In the days ahead, you will be able to look back on tonight. If you can journal where you are right now, it will mean so much when you come back to re-read your journal dated September 2, 2019. As you read Scripture, write down what a particular verse meant to you. Write down questions about things you don't really understand at the time so you don't forget the questions. Then when you have a chance to talk with someone you can turn right to your place in the journal. It will be such a help to you. Every baby grows at their own rate and in their own way. There's no right or wrong way to grow. If you eat/drink in the Word of God, you will begin to grow in this new life you've made a choice for tonight. Wish I could give you a big hug--but since I can't just consider yourself hugged! (( ))

Hey, I'll give you a hug over the internet. Thanks again. You're right about keeping a dairy. My dad always tells me it's important to write down appointments for latter. So this is no different. In fact it's more important! And I'll make sure to read John of the bible ASAP!

Right, it's always nice to be in good company. I can't call tonight, but she's more then welcome to message me here. It's late, I have classes and I don't know if my phone can do long distance without being charged! So I'll have to make sure first before I call her.

That is wonderful to hear! You're on the first step of many. Like rejoicinghandmaid said, take your time reading through the material and have plenty of questions. If you have trouble understanding something or have questions about things like 'Yeshua said this' or 'What did he mean by that?' don't be afraid to ask silly questions. :D

Because a lot that is being said could be easily found in Leviticus just easily broken down through Yeshua's teachings. Though, one has to keep an open mind about who the audience he is talking to at that point in time/culture where these people had lived in.

That is wonderful to hear! You're on the first step of many. Like rejoicinghandmaid said, take your time reading through the material and have plenty of questions. If you have trouble understanding something or have questions about things like 'Yeshua said this' or 'What did he mean by that?' don't be afraid to ask silly questions. :D

Because a lot that is being said could be easily found in Leviticus just easily broken down through Yeshua's teachings. Though, one has to keep an open mind about who the audience he is talking to at that point in time/culture where these people had lived in.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Yes, I agree the bible is confusing for a new Christian. I started by reading the Book of John from the KJV of the bible online as recommended by rejoicinghandmaid, and I'm making sure I'm able to at least read a chapter a day to make it both simple for me and to ultimately make it a habit in the near future. Also, I took her advice by starting a journal to note my thoughts on my experiences as a Christian. So far so good

I'm thankful I haven't faced any hurtles or road blocks by addressing my faith to my parents or friends. Which surprised me because I was biting my nails expecting the worst! Weird how your own mind can work against you at moments like that, but thankfully the lord was watching me. Praise the Lord!

A
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Yes, I agree the bible is confusing for a new Christian. I started by reading the Book of John from the KJV of the bible online as recommended by rejoicinghandmaid, and I'm making sure I'm able to at least read a chapter a day to make it both simple for me and to ultimately make it a habit in the near future. Also, I took her advice by starting a journal to note my thoughts on my experiences as a Christian. So far so good

I'm thankful I haven't faced any hurtles or road blocks by addressing my faith to my parents or friends. Which surprised me because I was biting my nails expecting the worst! Weird how your own mind can work against you at moments like that, but thankfully the lord was watching me. Praise the Lord!

I feel this quote here is something to take to heart. Its a quote from a book called 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Because what is fear when Ha'shem is with you.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

In your new walk with Yahshua, one wants to make sure that they search the Scriptures Daily...

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Acts 17:11 KJV

and you also want to....

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15 KJV

And don't worry about learning everything all at once because the scriptures teach...

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isaiah 28:10 KJV

You will learn a little bit here in a little bit there, but your main focus needs to be on the Messiah and him alone remember scriptures teach that he will never leave thee nor forsake thee and will not leave you comfortless...

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Hebrews 13:5 KJV

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
John 14:18 KJV

and and finally I would like to leave you with this...

But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Acts 15:20‭-‬21 KJV

the basic guideline for a brand-new believer, because you can learn the rest from those who teach every Sabbath day.

May Yahweh lead guide and direct you to all truth and understanding of what he has planned for you.

Shalom

Last edited:
You've been on my heart over the weekend so I thought I'd check in with you to see how things are going. You mentioned earlier you were surprised your family didn't get upset because you turned to Jesus Christ. I'm glad for you on that. I'm also glad that you're reading in the Scriptures. There's no doubt some times it's making sense and others it doesn't, but as you continue to eat(read) and grow in this new walk, more and more understanding will come to you. We have the promise that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth. (John 16:13) Our God is real, and He so desires to have a relationship with us. That means He wants us to spend time with Him. Reading His love letter to us (the Bible), talking with Him (prayer), and just thinking/meditating on the new things you're learning are all ways to get time with Him. None of this is ritualistic or formal--or at least it shouldn't be. :) You can talk with Him where ever you are--driving, walking, working, lying down, sitting--He's always there, and He always listens. Please remember I'm praying for you.

Back