• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How many wives do you have?

How many wives do you (or your husband, if you're a woman) have?

• 0, I'm single

Votes: 2 5.6%

Votes: 20 55.6%

Votes: 10 27.8%

Votes: 2 5.6%

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

bfoster

Male
I believe everyone comes to this forum to learn about biblical marriage from those who have practical experience with plural marriage. Obviously there are many supporters here who, even though they don't practice PM (or not YET), always contribute valuably to the discussion, and we end up learning from them too. Anyway, just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know the general status of the forum members through the poll above (it's anonymous).

Last edited:
I believe everyone comes to this forum to learn about biblical marriage from those who have practical experience with plural marriage. Obviously there are many supporters here who, even though they don't practice PM (or not YET), always contribute valuably to the discussion, and we end up learning from them too. Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'd like to ask whoever feels comfortable answering: How many wives do you have?

To maybe get at the heart of your question, there are numerous practicing families active on the forum, although most of them are cautious (wisely) about identifying themselves publicly. If you interact on the forum regularly though you will interact with a half dozen practicing families.

I believe everyone comes to this forum to learn about biblical marriage from those who have practical experience with plural marriage. Obviously there are many supporters here who, even though they don't practice PM (or not YET), always contribute valuably to the discussion, and we end up learning from them too. Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'd like to ask whoever feels comfortable answering: How many wives do you have?
Zec's right, you're not likely to get a lot of people outing themselves here publicly. But I just sent you a DM, and I invite anyone else who's willing to do so to send you one as well. It's a legit question.

It's an anonymous poll. He wasn't asking for individual responses. Or am I the one misunderstanding?
Even I can't see who voted in it, it's completely anonymous, so there should be no problem with people responding to it.

People may of course be more reluctant to out themselves individually due to legal concerns, as the way @Joleneakamama has responded alludes to. But that should not mean you can't participate in an anonymous poll.

So far, data distribution is little off.

No families with 3 wives, but there is one with 4 wives. I would say family with 3 wives is more probable than family with 4 wives.

No families with 3 wives, but there is one with 4 wives. I would say family with 3 wives is more probable than family with 4 wives.
Yet randomness means that it is normal that any normal small group of people will not be normally distributed. :) Seriously, you're probably right, but you wouldn't see that sort of statistic being displayed clearly until you had a larger sample size.

If you think that we should have a smooth Bell Curve from 15 families, you are the problem.

Edit: posted as Samuel was posting.

I will say that I happen to know that one of the men who responded as two wives considers himself as having three, but wouldn’t claim the third in this poll as one of them has not been a practicing member for some time.

Yet randomness means that it is normal that any normal small group of people will not be normally distributed. :) Seriously, you're probably right, but you wouldn't see that sort of statistic being displayed clearly until you had a larger sample size.
I would expect most cases are families with one wife. It would be totally strange if plural families outnumber monogamy family. That would be totally strange and worthy of deeper investigation.

And since families with one wife are most expected, this can't be normal (Gauss distribution). In normal distrubution central point has most cases and probability of happening. In this cases this would be 2 wives.

Also, this poll doesn't fullfil must requirement for normal distribution. Event aren't independent from each other, ie. height of one man doesn't influence height of another. Well, number of wives for one man does influence number of wives for another and number of wives does influence willingness of potential wife to join.

I would expect something more like power law, but not too much.

I intended it to be anonymous, to have an overview of the forum. I thought it would be interesting not just for me. And it may sound weird, but many of you are not as strange to me as I am to you. It must be the same for many other members who don't participate much in the forum, but are always following along. Have you thought about that?

It must be the same for many other members who don't participate much in the forum, but are always following along. Have you thought about that?
The readers who don’t respond are the reason that I make many of my responses.

The readers who don’t respond are the reason that I make many of my responses.
And I'm grateful for that. I usually don't have much to contribute to the topics, so I just have to observe and ask some questions, counting on the goodwill of more experienced users. Who knows, maybe this way I will learn, start practicing and be able to teach one day.

And I'm grateful for that. I usually don't have much to contribute to the topics, so I just have to observe and ask some questions, counting on the goodwill of more experienced users. Who knows, maybe this way I will learn, start practicing and be able to teach one day.
We are all still learning, hopefully. 😊

I would expect most cases are families with one wife. It would be totally strange if plural families outnumber monogamy family. That would be totally strange and worthy of deeper investigation.

And since families with one wife are most expected, this can't be normal (Gauss distribution). In normal distrubution central point has most cases and probability of happening. In this cases this would be 2 wives.

Also, this poll doesn't fullfil must requirement for normal distribution. Event aren't independent from each other, ie. height of one man doesn't influence height of another. Well, number of wives for one man does influence number of wives for another and number of wives does influence willingness of potential wife to join.

I would expect something more like power law, but not too much.
Of course it would never be a statistically "normal" distribution. That was me joking around with words.

If you believe you have something useful say to others, just write it. With time you will learn what makes useful post.

If you don't post, you can't learn.

Not everyone has training in empirical scientific method!

I do, though, applaud your erudition here, Samuel.

It's an anonymous poll. He wasn't asking for individual responses. Or am I the one misunderstanding?
Yeah, I get that, and no, you're not the one misunderstanding. Sorry for any confusion. I came over here motivated by issues outside this thread and sort of glossed over the 'anonymous' part.

Back