• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How much do you like honey?

AmericanIsraelite

Real Person
Male
For those who appreciate the healthiest alternative to refined sugar, honey is like fine wine. It comes in a wide variety of flavors influenced by the flowers that the bees get the nectar from.
I grew up keeping bees, and years ago got into doing what they call cut outs. A cut out is live bee removal and relocation, a very good idea if you have bees living in your house or as in this case under a shed floor.

We use a bee vac that my son and I built that allows us to regulate the amount of suction to capture the bees in vented buckets. We use rubberbands to hold the portions of the honeycomb containing baby bees (the brood) in frames that go in a regular bee box. Because of the weight of the honey and how fragile the comb is we cannot put it into frames. Once the bees build out new comb on frames reinforced with wire and wax foundation they are strong enough to hold honey.
Once the bees are contained and the brood and honey removed we take the bees to a suitable location and set them up in their new hive box.
When the brood is there the bees usually stay, but to make it even more likely we often put the queen in a cage in the hive. The worker bees feed and care for her, and after a few days we go back and release her.

The honeycomb goes into buckets and is later crushed to release the honey, and then drained with a large screen.
Some impurities are heavy and go to the bottom, and some like bits of sawdust or wax float to the top and are skimmed off. When harvesting honey from kept hives it stays clean, but cut outs are often in awkward locations making it impossible to prevent stuff getting in the honey. The honey is too good to waste, and once gravity has had time to act on it, the honey is clean and good to eat.
This may seem like a lot of work, but with raw honey costing 50 dollars a gallon, and the ability of a strong colony to make more for years, it is a win win deal for a beekeeper. We often get paid as well.
Here are some pictures from a job we did last night. There were two colonies successfully removed from under the floor of a shed.

First we cut a section of the floor, then lifted it onto the saw horses.
20190831_160456.jpg

Then we worked on vacuuming bees and removing honeycomb.
20190831_160719.jpg
Finally after a while we got to the brood in the center and put it into frames.VideoCapture_20190901-131604.jpg Then into the box.
20190901_132028.jpg
Here is a look at a bucket of new comb full of honey.
1985.jpeg
This is one of many things we do as family. I thought others might find this interesting.

I love this report!
I also love honey and have heard that a lot of what is represented as honey isn’t 100% honey.
Buy local, which has the added benefit of being made from the pollens in your area, helping to cut down on some allergies.

I love this report!
I also love honey and have heard that a lot of what is represented as honey isn’t 100% honey.
Buy local, which has the added benefit of being made from the pollens in your area, helping to cut down on some allergies.
You're correct. There is blended honey that has been blended with high fructose corn syrup... talk about horrible! I guess it makes it cheaper but it has to be labeled as such. Buying local from a known source is still the best way to avoid it.

The stuff from China isn’t always tested and labeled.

The stuff from China isn’t always tested and labeled.
That's a problem regarding imports from China in general... but you are definitely correct.

Is it true that the honey bee population is severally declined as reported by the man?

While the rest of us love honey. And most of the honey in NZ is great, it's illegal to import honey so as to protect local bees from diseases and parasites present in the rest of the world, so no rubbishy blended stuff is available, it's all just honey. Quality still varies, some really cheap honey has been heat-extracted and is very waxy, but good honey is readily available.

I would like to keep bees in the future, and have a son who is very interested. We just haven't organised actually starting this yet. @AmericanIsraelite, I'm thinking of making a long langstroth hive so my 9-year-old could keep bees without having to lift heavy boxes, but with the convenience and industry-standardness of using standard frames so he's already familiar with how the industry actually does things. Do you have any suggestions on how I'd get a child started on beekeeping, without having a complete disaster?

I really like "honeydew honey". This is a bit unusual, as it doesn't come from flowers.

We have native black beech trees in our forests, that are infected by scale insects that live under the bark. The insects feed on sap, which has far more sugar than they need. Each insect has a long rectal tube that sticks out of the bark like a white hair, and they excrete excess sugar out this tube. The trees are covered in fine white hairs and little drops of sugar. When walking through a beech forest, you can just pick up these drops of sugar on your fingertip and eat it. This is called "honeydew", because it looks like dew but tastes sweet.

Bees collect this sugar solution just as they collect honey, and make a very dark and strong tasting honey from it. That is called "honeydew honey".

Is it true that the honey bee population is severally declined as reported by the man?
The largest decline in bee populations have been among commercially kept bees used primarily for pollinating.
My theory is that the crops grown for pollination by bees are heavily sprayed. If the chemicals used don't kill the bees outright, it at least weakens the colonies making them more susceptible to other diseases or pests like the varoa mite.

What I do know is that wild colonies out where there is less human or chemical impact seem to be thriving. One colony I set up away from others has been doing well for at least six years now.

Last edited:
I just read about New Zealand's honeydew honey. That was a very interesting article @FollowingHim.

Out here the bees collect honeydew from aphids that feed on both oaks and conifers. It is a stronger tasting honey, but I like it.

It is awesome that your son is interested in bee keeping. I would suggest contacting a local bee keeper that might be able to get you started with a gentle colony. If the bees over there are not too aggressive, you could also try contacting a pest control company and ask them to call you when they have a swarm. There is less work with swarms and they often have more energy then a well established colony that has been disturbed and relocated. In the spring is a better time to get a swarm as they have more time to build up, and it is likely you will get a crop the first season.

I would suggest getting bee suits, because getting stung takes a lot of the fun out of it. I don't know how your bees are there, but here in Arizona the bees got crossed with Africanized bees years ago. This made the bees here so aggressive that many old timers just quit.

The long langstroth is a great option if you don't plan on transporting the colony. Bee keeping is really not that difficult and there are many web sites providing information and ideas. Bee keeping can be as easy or as complex as you make it.
I would recommend a long langstroth modified so only a few frames are accessed at a time, so the whole colony is not exposed at once.
If you like I can find some online examples of what I'm talking about.

I've seen a few examples on YouTube, the idea being to have a single hinged lid over the whole thing as a roof, but then panels underneath that as lids over the actual frames, so you can just remove the lids over a small section of the hive at a time. Is that what you mean?

I like the way some people put windows in the sides of top bar hives. You wouldn't see as much from a window in a langstroth, but it would be interesting to put in a perpex panel covered by a shutter just to see if it was useful. And you could put in a few top bars and experiment with both systems. It would make it more educational and allow some very basic observations to be done with no disturbance.

I will look into bee suits.

I have planted a large orchard here, still very young, but over the next few years there will be a lot of blossom over a wide range of dates, ideal as a "home base" for beehives. Having bees would increase fruit yield as well as give us honey, so it has multiple benefits. It's just a matter of finding the time to do all these grand schemes...

Back