• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How old was Abram's Father when Abram was born?

26 After Terah had lived 70 years, he became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran.

Genesis 11:26 NIV 2010

So it happened after he was 70 but that could have been any time between 70 and 205 years of age

32 Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Harran.
Genesis 11:32 NIV 2010

Gill's commentary, part of the e-Sword package, says this:

Gen 11:26 And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran. Abram, though named first, does not appear to be the eldest, but rather Haran; nay, it seems pretty plain that Abram was not born until the one hundred and thirtieth year of his father's life, for Terah was two hundred and five years old when he died, Gen_11:32 and Abram was but seventy five years of age when he went out of Haran to Canaan, Gen_12:4 and that was as soon as his father died there; and so that if seventy five are taken out two hundred and five, there will remain one hundred and thirty, in which year and not before Abram must be born

So the likely answer is as Gill said - 130.

Sarai was Abram's half-sister:
Genesis 20:12 KJV And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

And she was 10 years younger than Abram:
Genesis 17:17 KJV Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?

And she was 10 years younger than Abram:
Genesis 17:17 KJV Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?

So figure out how old Terah was when Sarah was born?

How do you do that?

I am trying to figure out how far I can trace the timeline in the Bible based on people's births and so on. And I seemed to be able to get up to the birth of Terah if I remember correctly and after that I was having trouble figuring out the rest of the timeline.

PolyDoc said:
Gill's commentary, part of the e-Sword package, says this:

Gen 11:26 And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran. Abram, though named first, does not appear to be the eldest, but rather Haran; nay, it seems pretty plain that Abram was not born until the one hundred and thirtieth year of his father's life, for Terah was two hundred and five years old when he died, Gen_11:32 and Abram was but seventy five years of age when he went out of Haran to Canaan, Gen_12:4 and that was as soon as his father died there; and so that if seventy five are taken out two hundred and five, there will remain one hundred and thirty, in which year and not before Abram must be born

I do not understand this

I especially do not understand this

PolyDoc said:
and that was as soon as his father died there;

Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Harran.
Genesis 11:32

What if Terah died a few years after Terah was in Haran? Terah could have moved to Haran and then died in Haran years afterwards?

Are you saying that Abraham left Haran exactly the same day that Terah died in Haran?

4 So Abram went, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.

Genesis 12:4

So that Abraham was 75 years old when Terah was 205 years old?

Does the scripture say that Abraham left Haran exactly the same year that Terah died?

If Abraham left Haran a few years after Terah died then would Abraham being born when Terah was 130 years still be correct?

By the way thank you for the help.

tphoover said:
Everything I can find about Terah, Abram's father, says he was 130 not 70.

after is not the same as equal.

26 After Terah had lived 70 years, he became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran.
Genesis 11:26

Terah was greater than or equal to 70 years old when Abram was born.

130 years is greater than 70 years

i'm getting a bad case of vertigo here........

Back