• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How To Handle The Death Of A Child-A Christian Perspective

Doc

Real Person
Read Doc's Blog post: http://docburkhart.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... stian.html

As parents, we cannot imagine a more traumatic experience than losing a child. All parents naturally expect their children to outlive them. Such a loss is an extraordinary out-of-order event that brings with it an overwhelming sense of pain and lingering grief. It is a life-altering experience that presents unique challenges to parents as they seek to rebuild their lives without their child.

It would be presumptuous for anyone to tell parents how to handle the death of their child. However, we do know that those who yield their lives to God are more apt to recover from such a loss with a greater sense of normalcy than those without a genuine and positive faith in our Creator. With this being true, how do Christian parents handle the death of a child? Does the Bible address the subject, and if so, in what way?

First, we should note that each person handles grief differently. Emotions vary widely in their intensity. These emotions are normal and natural. Secondly, no parent ever “gets over” or “moves on” from the loss of a child. It’s not like an illness from which we recover. Most counselors liken it to a life-changing physical injury. However, we should also know that though we may always feel the loss, its intensity does diminish with time.

It is the Christian’s faith in a loving and ever-faithful God that enables us to endure and recover from the loss of a child, sometimes in ways that others find remarkable. Such was the case of David in the loss of his first child who died seven days after birth (2 Samuel 12:18-19). There are several valuable lessons we can learn from this passage of Scripture that can help grieving parents to face the future with hope.

One is that David prayed fervently for his child’s life (2 Samuel 12:16). This should be true for all parents at all times, and not just when times are difficult. Parents should always pray for our children, asking God to watch over and protect them. Likewise, parents should pray that God provides godly wisdom and guidance so that our children grow in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Judges 13:12; Proverbs 22:6; Ephesians 6:4).

Another lesson we learn from David was his reaction to his child’s death. Upon learning that the infant had died, there was an acceptance signified by His actions when he “arose from the ground, washed and anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he went into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he went to his own house; and when he requested, they set food before him, and he ate” (2 Samuel 12:20). What is surprising about this passage is that David “went into the house of the Lord and worshiped.” In other words, David not only accepted the death of his child, but he gave it all over to God in worship. The ability to worship and honor God in a time of trial or crisis is a powerful demonstration of our spiritual confidence in our God. Doing so enables us to accept the reality of our loss. And this is how God frees us to go on living. What David models for us in this story is learning to turn loose what we cannot change.

The next lesson is the most revealing. It is confidence in the knowledge that children who die before they reach the age of accountability go to heaven. David’s response to those questioning his reaction to the death of his child has always been a great source of comfort to believing parents who have lost infants and young children. “But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me” (2 Samuel 12:23). David was fully confident that he would meet his son in heaven. This passage is a powerful indication that babies as well as children who pass from this world will go to heaven.

Grieving the loss of a child is a heartrending journey. There are no hard and fast rules or guidelines to teach us how to handle our mourning. However, counselors and those who have experienced the loss of a child have provided some helpful advice:

• Recognize that you are not alone. You have God. You have your brothers and sisters in Christ. You have close friends and family. Lean on them. They are there to help you.
• Don't put time limits on your recovery. Don't expect a day to pass without thinking about your child, nor should you want to.
• Talk about your child. It’s important that you share the story of your child with others.
• Take care of yourself and your other children. They, too, are suffering loss of a sibling and the additional discomfort of seeing their parents in grief.
• Try not to make any major decisions at least for the first year.
• Expect that getting through the many “firsts” following the death of a young child—first birthday, first Christmas, etc.—will be painful.

And lastly, Christians who have lost a child have the grand and faithful promise of God’s word: “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

Read Doc's Blog post: http://docburkhart.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... stian.html

Re: How To Handle The Death Of A Child-A Christian Perspecti

I have lost family members left and right. But nothing prepared me for losing my babies. I can say i have struggled to reach out to our god in my time of need. Know matter what stage of life you lose a child its hard. I remember as a young girl seeing the unforgiving pain in my grandmas eyes as she prepared to bury her grown child. Or the sorrow and grief in my sisters eyes as she clung to a black and white ultra sound picture of her son no one knew about. He never saw life it side of my sister. His little eyes closed never to open again. I have spoken with lots of Christian friends about my loses. I love them but they gave me no support. I would speak about my loses after I was done no one would say any thing. I felt as if i had spoken to a wall. I always hear some times people don't no what to say. Say something a kind word. Don't say this happened for a reason. I pray but no answer yet.

ToyaR,
My heart hurts for you. I have not experienced such loss as you have, but I have experienced loss and been with others who have been where you are now. Many times people have no words, because they may not be able to express such sorrow as you have and also not find the words to adequetly share your feelings. This loss will never go away, the loss of your babies is too deep of a wound to go away entirely, but you will heal around the pain and you will be able to carry on. Even though other folks may not be able to reach into the depth of your pain and share it with you, many if not most of them around you do care for you, but are just unable or are unprepared to deal with such loss.

I am glad that you are reaching out to our Lord, He does truly onderstand your sorrow and grief and experienced your sense of loss. Remember, that He too, gave His only begotten Son to suffer for the unjust and had to turn His face while His Son was tortured and died for people that hated Him. Thankfully, our Father, knew that Jesus would rise from the grave, but that did not lessen the pain and loss that heaven felt at Jesus death. The resurrection is our hope, yours and mine. We will see your babies in heaven, full, lively, healthy and rejoicing looking forward to your arrival on God's time schedule. Until then, just keep taking your grief to Him and His Holy Spirit will bring healing to your hurting aching heart. PM or call me at any time I may be of help or just to talk.

My heart joins the others in feeling the pain you feel. You are correct, no person can really feel such pain the way you do. However, I think Christ can, and that pain is why he decided to go ahead and suffer the pain and shame of the cross for and all of us.

Since your post seems to be your first, welcome to the forum. Your open heart to us is full of grace to us and we the same to you. May we be a help to you and I am sure you will find us needing your fellowship also.

Thank you John for your kind words. I think how hard it must have been for god to send his son to die in such a brutal way for our sins. How he suffered.As people we suffer. We hide in the dark waiting for the light. I will take your words to heart.

I too have experienced the loss of a child. My heart is grieved for you. I lost my little girl 4 hours after her extremely early birth at only 24 weeks. I was very young and devastated and alone. I kept that secret for almost 13 years. About 2 years after loosing her I was told I would never be able to have more children.

I thought my world had ended. I thought about how I had longed for a large family and wanted to mother several babies. I mourned for YEARS for the babies I would never be able to carry in my womb, hold in my arms, or anything else. I begged God to remove the desire to be a mother from me for 7 years. Not for a moment did that desire leave my heart. Finally God revealed to me Ephesians 1:3-6

"According as the has chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him in love;
Having predestined us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself according to the good pleasure of His will, To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved."

It dawned on me... If Adoption is good enough for God why can't it be an option for us?!
We begin to pray for healing of my heart. We asked God to show us How to go about adopting and to bring the right child or children to us.

After 5 years God brought us our beautiful daughter. We fostered in between and we have a foster daughter whom we claim as our own even though by law she is not ours ..I feel in my heart and in the eyes of God she is mine.

I say all this sister in Christ, to say....Do not loose hope. For God has a time and a place to reveal to you what your purpose is. And I believe our babies will be waiting for us in heaven!

Back