• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

http://www.bibleresearch.org

It is a good article, but.... as most "good" articles, there's a few things that irk me a bit. They're relatively minor, but these not-quite-right things keep getting rehashed in the next article, then the next, etc.
  1. "Sexual relationships between men and women outside of marriage fall within one of three broad categories: adultery, promiscuity, or rape."
    1. Rape is not a third type of sexual relationship outside of marriage. Rape would still be a subcategory of either adultery or "promiscuity".
    2. The defining line is always married or not. If outside the current marriage then it is either Adultery or "promiscuity". That determination is the line on the woman's side. If she's married, it's adultery; if not, "promiscuity".
  2. "Adultery is the result of a husband or a wife breaking the marriage contract."
    1. Not quite. Adultery is biblically defined as the woman who breaks the marriage contract.
  3. "The patriarchs Abraham and Jacob are examples of righteous men who had several wives in order to father male heirs."
    1. Objection, your Honour. Witness is presuming intent.
    2. With the exception of Abraham, itis not recorded that obtaining additional wives was for the perpose of getting male heirs.
  4. "The first wife held the highest position and it was to her first-born son that the husband's inheritance was given."
    1. The first half of this regarding the 1st Wife having the highest position is not biblical. It may have been customary, but i don't recall that being stated.
    2. The first-born of the first wife is not automatically the inheritor. It was the first-born, period; of any wife.
  5. End of the section Civil and Criminal Law, "...there are basically three options: 1) Do not practice polygamy; 2) Relocate to a geographical location where there are no civil laws prohibiting polygamy; or 3) Be prepared to defend one's right to practice polygamy."
    1. This leaves out the option of not obtaining a civil marriage agreement. This is common to those who haven't quite been able to grasp the difference between Lawful marriage and legal marriage.
  6. "When two people enter into a marital relationship with the understanding that it is to be a monogamous relationship and bind themselves to this agreement,... Neither party can alter the agreement without dire consequences. "
    1. I want to disagree with this, but i don't have the knowledge to do so. There is at least one extensive discussion on this board regarding this exact issue.
In the section called A Warning about Kings and Wives, i like the true to scripture explanation of the "Many Wives" clause, the reason behind it, how that related to Solomon and though he had hundreds, that was not what he was condemned for.

It is a good article, but.... as most "good" articles, there's a few things that irk me a bit. They're relatively minor, but these not-quite-right things keep getting rehashed in the next article, then the next, etc.

In the section called A Warning about Kings and Wives, i like the true to scripture explanation of the "Many Wives" clause, the reason behind it, how that related to Solomon and though he had hundreds, that was not what he was condemned for.

Excellent comments. I wonder if the author would be interested in feedback?

You have a point. Good work calling me on it. That should have been higher on my list of options instead of simply commenting where the author would never see it.

I was not trying to call you on it, I was just trying to be helpful. :)

I know if I wrote something like that I would be interested in feedback.

Also, I was curious of what kind of site was hosting this.

Back