• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"I Have Tried To Speculate Where It Might Have Landed..."

"...I must admit, however, that such conjecture is futile." (Virtual brownie points to those who can reference the quote without googling ;))

Many Christians grow up Christians because they're parents were Christians or their community was Christian. I think I can safely say that many Christians are Christian simply because that is the environment they were brought up in and hence the one they are comfortable with. I have been a Christian since a young age. I offered my life to Jesus I think at the age of nine (oddly enough, my favorite number) but it was only when I entered mid-adolescence I started to take my faith seriously, and in taking it seriously I began to question it, to test whether or not what I believed was the truth, and more to the point, whether or not it was worth believing. Very rarely was I ever able to answer the questions. I often found myself going in circles in my line of reasoning trying to remain as objective as possible. Now several years into college, I find the questions even more demanding and abhorrent to look upon, for they threaten to shake the foundation of my entire life's direction and purpose, a paradigm shift nobody wants endure. Yet I find myself unable to sleep unless I face those questions, continue to search for the truth of the matter, even if I have to run in circles for the rest of my life. As a physics major, I am being conditioned to except no proposition, or very few anyway, without supporting evidence, and this directly ties into my test of faith. The question that bothers me is, oddly enough, not whether or not God exists. As a scientist, albeit an inexperienced one, I find it impossible that the universe is self existent. Everything I observe follows the principle of cause and effect. The reason many scientists reject the idea of God is because it would be impossible to measure him. Scientists do not like things they cannot measure, so they simply ignore them or contrive some explanation that's even crazier than the idea they run away from. My issue is not with God's existence, but his identity. How do I know that my God, Yahweh, is the true God as opposed to Allah, Zeus, or Odin? My only basis for my belief in Yahweh, comes from the Bible, a revelation that he supposedly wrote. How can I know for certain though? How do I know that Moses wasn't simply hallucinating or making the whole thing up, or the prophets for that matter? I mean, it's not like Moses had the best credibility. You have prince, or rather ex-prince, of one of the most powerful empires of the era who kills one of his own subjects in defence of a slave, runs for his life into the middle of the wilderness, finds himself herding sheep like a commoner, then receives a "revelation" from God in the form of a burning bush which does not burn, rides back to Egypt, looking like a mountain man and likely smelling like the animal he rode upon, and proclaims to the people: "God's sent me to set you free!" From that rather crude but fairly accurate description, the man would pass as clinically insane by today's standards. Why should I trust him? Apart from the miracles he supposedly performed (he could have made those up in the writing of the Torah, or hero legends rose up around him stemming from real, but less than miraculous events and the story was gradually changed over the centuries by scribes with no objective supervision), Moses credibility as a prophet of the true God is just a few levels above Mohammed's, which isn't much.

As such I have often wondered why, if Yahweh is the true God, he chose such an obscure and, at least from our finite mortal perspectives, inefficient form of communication. I'm often tempted to believe that the Old Testament was written for Hebrews, in a Hebrew tongue, with a Hebrew mindset, conditions that we cannot accurately emulate and is of no relevance today, but what else do I have to go on? It seems to me that God's message would have been better written in a book fallen from the sky, or multiple books for that matter, around the world, in each succession of historical eras, each in the tongue of the people who received it and written with their culture, history, and attitudes at heart, that all could read and understand without having to endure the problems of translations and vague ancient text that only go so far back to the originals.

Thus I find myself speculating where that hypothetical book might have landed and admitting reluctantly that such conjecture is futile. I realize my apprehensions might never be allayed and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending to this mystery has not yet been written.

Re: "I Have Tried To Speculate Where It Might Have Landed...

you might try reading
The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict
by Josh McDowell

I have not read the new one but read the original one years ago and it was very good. (at least to my fledgling believer mind at the time)

what I keep running into is the apparent fact that YHWH has chosen to be somewhat obscure and give us clues to go on rather get blatantly in our faces with all of His truth. even His prophecies seem to be best understood after the fact.

I knew the quote sounded familiar, but I confess to requiring Google's services. Does that give me half credit? If so, feel free to keep the points and I shall only collect the brownies. ;) :lol:

It's funny...Josh McDowell's New Evidence That Demands A Verdict was the first book which came to my mind as well. He does an excellent job of showing how the scriptures were preserved from antiquity and how they are some of the most reliable ancient manuscripts in all of human history. It is well referenced. I highly recommend it to anyone with questions such as these.

I too, needed "proof" when I came to a place of testing the Truth. I had been raised in an AofG church and walked away in my teens because I saw only hypocrisy and falsehood in the lives of many members. Knowing that we have a measurable human energy field which seemingly vanishes when we die, coupled with the first Law of thermodynamics, it's not hard to figure that SOMETHING has to happen to us after death, but we have not yet found a way to measure that transition. As I sought for Truth, I came across several versions of alternate "truths". While some of these addressed single issues quite well, honestly most of these required an even greater amount of faith across the broader scope. Truth, by it's very definition cannot be relative. Truth is solid, unyielding and absolute. Truth is empirical. If it is empirical, then it is measurable. But how do we measure the spiritual? One cannot see the spiritual, just as no one can see the wind. But we CAN measure the effects of the wind, just as we can measure the effects of the spiritual.

One possible method is the study of eschatology. Prophecy predicts a measurable outcome. If we find a historically prophetic outcome with exacting specificity, we then have some proof. If we find this to be the case in many more instances than are allowable by mere chance, then we grow more certain that these prophecies come from a source that is divine. Or at the very least, has the ability to view thousands of years into the future.

These examples are found throughout the Bible, from Adam to Moses to Jesus to current events. Lee Stroble's The Case For Christ addresses many of the proofs and prophetic aspects of Jesus. If you are on Facebook, you can find a few folks who deal specifically with the logical reasoning of the Christian faith. One is Evidence Based Faith. He deals mostly with evolution vs Divine order, but delves into other topics as well. He is quirky and a bit "In your face" sometimes when dealing with scoffers, but he has a lot of evidence photos and articles that you may enjoy. Another is Logical Faith. This guy is more on the philosophical end of things.

As for myself, I grew so frustrated in my search for Truth and continually coming back to the biblical account, that I finally went to God in prayer (even though I wasn't sure I believed in Him anymore). I asked Him to show me something to know He is real and what real Truth is. I didn't need all the answers at once (though I really, really wanted that), just a crumb or two to find my way. Within a month, He started showing up in all sorts of circumstances. Just little things, mostly, but a pattern began to emerge. Within two months, He provided me enough specific proof, that I could no longer deny Him. As one last act of questioning, I purposely denied Him during an alter call when my heart was heavy to receive Him. I determined to stay where I was and not move from my seat. I would NOT go to the alter without knowing for sure. So I told God to show me beyond all doubt, that if He was real, He could move me from where I chose to anchor myself. If He could do that, then I was His. Needless to say, He got me down to that alter.

God, I have found, has an incredible sense of humor. He chose to give me a supernatural proof that I can believe in, but I couldn't show to the rest of the world. To be honest, that kind of ticked me off. The fact that only I knew what happened and couldn't take that proof to show anyone else was supremely frustrating...but taught me so much about His nature. If I had some undeniable proof which I could take to show all the world, that would take away the need for us to go and get ourselves entwined in the messy business of ministering to others. We were made to be connected to others as well as to God.

It also allowed me to know how immense His love for me really is. That He, the creator and ruler of the entire universe, who sent His son to die in my place, would bother to stop for a moment, get down on a very personal level with me and alter the laws of nature to get my stubborn butt out of a chair, just so that I could be certain that my faith is well placed....That blows my mind!

I am hard core science all the way. There were a couple of steps that took me in the right direction. Biology and microbiology classes helped - really this just happened by random chance? I don't thinks so. Lee Strobel's books were the most pivotal influences for me to becoming a believer. The Case for a Creator is a very dry book that is a hard read, but will help people with strong science backgrounds. Otherwise, I recommend steering clear of that book and sticking with the Case for Faith and the Case for Christ. He used to have a version that had the 2 books in one.

Viking - your story sounds similar to Hugh Ross's experience who, after a career at MIT and NASA, founded Reasons To Believe. It's a cutting-edge scientific research think-tank seeking to piece together how the latest scientific discoveries and the Bible complement each other.

Ross's signature book is The Fingerprint of God. It shows that the only book matching the physical laws of the world around us is the Bible. The science found in the other holy books doesn't align with physical laws of nature around us. The Bible does. And it's not because Ross was born a Christian, or is just seeing the world thru a Christian lens: Ross is a good scientist - he's big fan of the scientific method: http://www.reasons.org/articles/interpr ... fic-method

Here's a You Tube video of his story:
http://youtu.be/GKGFezN0Cd4

Here's some fun factoids:
http://www.reasons.org/explore/type/i-didnt-know-that

And if you're into astrophysics (Ross's specialty), you might try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Cosmos-Rec ... 0984061487

I'm confident that as you get to know the Creator better via science with the Holy Spirit, you'll be even more in love with him (and the people around you!).

-JAG

Back