• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

I Never Imagined This...

cmj2231

Female
Hello Everyone,

I have been just reading through the forum threads for the past couple of days as an unregistered person and have gained so much insight and appreciation for all that I have learned through reading that I felt I had to register and say hello.

I am newly single at 34 after ending a three year relationship in January. I have never been married and I just began putting myself out there in the realm of dating or possible courtship again in just the past couple of months. I was actually looking for a monogamous relationship because that is where my experience lies but have not found anyone I have really been able to form a connection with. A friend of mine saw this and wanted to help and so proceeded to post an ad on my behalf on an online dating site. One of the people that replied to the ad was a man who was interested in a sister wife to get to know and possibly join their family. My friend knew I was pretty open-minded but wasn't sure if I would be interested in this particular arrangement but sent their reply on to me anyway.

I didn't know much about poly families or relationships other than what I have seen through the show Sister Wives and documentaries on the subject but being open-minded I responded to the reply and as I began speaking with the man and his wife I begin to learn that they were genuinely good people and that we had a lot in common. I also learned that they have been married for 20 years and that their reasoning for a poly lifestyle was not religious based but was actually an idea that the wife presented because she could no longer have children and they had always wanted a large family. She also liked the idea of a sister wife for the sake of a built-in friendship that comes with the sister wife relationship. After long discussions he agreed it was a good thing too and they decided to look for a potential sister wife.

After learning about poly relationships only through television I wasn't sure what to expect or if this was really for me but as I mentioned I am open-minded and the more I got to know them, the more I wanted to know more about them. I made my first visit to see the family last weekend. Although they live in a different state they live within a few hours driving distance so it is great for being able to build a relationship such as this so we can have more frequent interactions.

I wasn't sure what to expect during my visit but it was actually great. We got along better than any of us could have imagined and their two children have also really taken to me as well and have since asked when I will be returning for the next visit. The two children are very open to the idea; one is 6 and he likes the idea of having two mommies and since I have visited he has asked many times if that will be me because he likes me so much. The other child is 16. She is very open-minded to the idea and says she is perfectly okay with it. She said she actually hopes I can loosen her mom up a bit and help her to have more fun and to bring more fun to the family because I am a different age than their parents (I am 34 and they are in their early 40's). I have been told that she also likes the idea of me joining the family already and also asks when I will be visiting again.

The husband and I get along really well and have a lot in common and are enjoying getting to know each other better. The wife and I also are very much enjoying each other and have many things in common. They say I seem to balance them out because there are a lot of things that she and I are interested in that he is not and many things that I know that I could teach her and many things that she knows that she could teach me. There are also many things that he and I have in common that she and he do not. They also say that they really enjoyed my time there and it seemed like I brought a "calm" to the entire family. They are looking forward to getting to know me better and spending more time with me with the prospect of my joining their family.

I must admit I am also looking forward to spending more time with them and getting to know them more as well. I'm still not certain how I feel about possibly being part of a plural marriage but I am open to exploring if this is what God would have for my life. There are a million questions I have, and a million thoughts running through my mind because this is so very different from what I was expecting and what I thought I was looking for and would be taking life as I know it and turning it completely upside down. I need to learn more about the family and the lifestyle before making any major decisions and need to pray about it because of not only those factors but also because although this family is great, they do not share the same faith as I do (I am a Christian and they do not really practice any active faith although they said they really don't know why and are also open to all of the children choosing whatever faith they want).

It is a lot to take in at the moment so I am taking it day-by-day and am glad that I have had your posts to learn more. I will be leaving this afternoon for my second visit with this family and I am nervously excited to see where this journey will go.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and for being such a help so far through your posts. I look forward to learning more about all of you and your journeys through this site.

Welcome to the site, and thanks for posting an introduction! I spent 3 days reading this forum as a guest non stop before I joined up too.
You're welcome to join the ladies chat on Tuesday nights to talk more if you like. We'd love to have you there. The wife is welcome to as well, though she will need to understand that we do discuss things from a Christian perspective and God is a pretty big part of how we talk about things and deal with problems.
I hope your second visit goes well :).

Welcome @cmj2231! Thank you for sharing a bit about what brings you here.

Hey there cmj2231. You'll learn a lot here. Glad to see you've joined.

Welcome.

Welcome!
This is the best place I know of for learning about polygyny, and finding friends who will support you should you choose to live it.

Welcome aboard!

I only have one suggestion...PLEASE read through the whole website, and then the forums. This is a site based on a Christian/biblical viewpoint of polygyny. The overwhelming majority on here are practicing believers of some variety or another. Our conversations will normally revolve around scripture or biblical principles. It would be awesome if your prospective family could visit the site and get a good dose of our perspective before you all go down too far along the road.

Blessings.

Welcome, CMJ. Best wishes as you consider whether to marry this man and become part of his household.

Welcome @cmj2231,

It's nice you are here, welcome to our community.
You can't marry that guy...yet.
He's not a Christian; just pretend this was a monogamous man. Would you consider marrying a monogamous man who was not a Christian?
You would become the spiritual leader in the family and you would have no spiritual covering from him.
Compound this with the entire family not believing.
Maybe G-d has put you in their lives to share the word with them and lead them to the L-rd but "missionary dating" is not a good idea.

2 Corinthians 6:14-15 explains that a believer can not become unequally yolked with a non-believer ... it's a sin and a foolish mistake which you will regret.
"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
What accord has Christ with Belial?[fn] Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?"

Any children you give them will be confused as dad and other mom don't believe in the bible but my mom does? I love my dad and other mom; they are smart, etc...
It's not fair to do that to an innocent child; we are to "raise the child up in the path he should go..." not "raise him up confused and with some role models who don't worship G-d".
it's confusion.

If you start dating the man, and you fall in love with him, that is the wrong time to bring up faith. Your heart will pine for him and you'll have to choose G-d and everyone gets hurt and it can even be a witness against G-d to them.

So it's nice you have some new friends; nothing says you can't stay friends and even build a relationship which could some day lead the entire family to the L-rd.
But you should ... not ... date ... that ... man. He's not saved yet.
Whatever you decide I hope you'll stay in the forums and not go out of pressure.
I just am sharing with the the biblical perspective about choosing to date someone who is not at the same place you are at spiritually.
The man shoudl not just be saved, he should be able to lead you and give you support in your walk. If this nice fellow gets saved tomorrow; he'll be a new believer and you'll have to hold his hand and guide him and teach him and disciple him. You'll have to be the head of the house spiritually. Is that what you want?
Maybe G-d just put them in your life to open your eyes to the fruit you can enjoy in a Biblical Plural Marriage.

Glad you're here, G-d bless and may G-d give you peace in your heart to do what you know you need to do.

Welcome, welcome. Glad you are here.

At the risk of making you feel bombarded, I have to agree with both Ish & Mojo. From what I can tell, this life is hard enough on relationships even if all parties are on the same page spiritually.

At any rate, please take it slow and it's good to have you here

Welcome, @cmj2231! You present as someone who is thoughtful and articulate, so just keep learning and praying and you'll end up where God wants you to be when He wants you to be there. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Glad you found us! I do echo the concerns posted so far, along with the "we are here to help". Praying you find the answers that you need.

Welcome! I get on the forum when I can - and that ends up in spurts really... I'm sorry I'm so late in responding to this. I'm sincerely glad you are here. It takes a certain amount of courage to join our group and put yourself and your story out there. Thank you for your honesty and your vulnerability. I do hope you find some deep truth and encouragement for your journey here. (insert heart emoji).

Welcome CMJ2231

Back