• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

If not a debate what about one of those cool round table videos?

NeoPatriarch

Real Person
Male
Every year, or so. John MacArthur's church holds a round table discussion. The guys are venerable old guys that have a pretty good handle on reformed theology.

It seems to take place on a stage, complete with black stage curtains. There are plenty of cameras. This is then edited into a pretty interesting piece of video with cool church music accompanying. It succeeds in creating attention and interest on whatever doctrines they discuss.

I bet we could do that...

I think the first one could be rounds of simple questions.

1) Who are you and from what faith tradition do you come.

2) How did you discover biblical marriage?

3) Why is it important to properly understand BM?

4) How did your church, family, and friends react when you "came out"?

5) What's the best Biblical argument against polygyny, and how do you address it.

6) What's the best Biblical argument for polygyny?

7) What is the biggest issue facing Christian polygynist today?

8) Why would any woman join such a family?

Besides Dr. Luck, who should be sitting in on this round table discussion?

Now, that's video might just get some attention, and lead to some high level debates.
I want to see this happen. How about you?

Day dreaming at night...

At this point it's just a dream team.

Mine is Luck, Whitten, Milton, sand Henkel.

That would require a referee more than a moderator and might not be as dignified as I would like, but it would be a great video.

More questions for the round table participants.

9) Isn't polygamy a secondary issue?
10) Isn't Isaiah 4:1 a prophecy about the judgment against wickedness.
11) How does Deuteronomy 17:17 limit the number of wives a king may have?
12) Doesn't Jesus have only one bride?
13) Why are there no polygamists in the new testament?
14) How does a proper view of biblical marriage impact your understanding of the metanarrative of scripture?

I am thinking these guys should be ready to have this conversation for at least three hours, and the video should be edited down to about one to one and half hours.

I think this all sounds very similar to dinner talk at Retreats. Maybe I can manage to have round tables at the next family retreat? ;)

Kidding aside, this would be an interesting endeavor for sure. I would watch!

At this point it's just a dream team.

Mine is Luck, Whitten, Milton, sand Henkel.

That would require a referee more than a moderator and might not be as dignified as I would like, but it would be a great video.

Are you referring to Mark Henkel? The last time I saw Henkel being interviewed, he seemed to have a strange exaggerated nervous tic that was so distracting that I don’t remember what he was talking about. He kept making faces that didn’t match what was happening in the conversation at all. The whole time he was talking I was thinking, is he on drugs?

Are you referring to Mark Henkel? The last time I saw Henkel being interviewed, he seemed to have a strange exaggerated nervous tic that was so distracting that I don’t remember what he was talking about. He kept making faces that didn’t match what was happening in the conversation at all. The whole time he was talking I was thinking, is he on drugs?

I don't know, but Mark is getting old, so he could be suffering from legitimate issues. So, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The videos I see are very dated. Are there any new ones?

I love his current podcast. It's always fun and interesting to see what he went through to get those interviews. I have messaged him, how I would love him too include some recent commentary. Look forward to that he said there would be some changes coming up.

It's easy to be critical him, but who else is doing the good work of bringing these issues front and center?

I don't know, but Mark is getting old, so he could be suffering from legitimate issues. So, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The videos I see are very dated. Are there any new ones?

I love his current podcast. It's always fun and interesting to see what he went through to get those interviews. I have messaged him, how I would love him too include some recent commentary. Look forward to that he said there would be some changes coming up.

It's easy to be critical him, but who else is doing the good work of bringing these issues front and center?
I’m not criticizing him, he’s done some good work. I just don’t know how effective he would be at a round table discussion to bring credibility to the topic. It could very well be some health issue, I don’t know, but something was definitely off.

I’m not criticizing him, he’s done some good work. I just don’t know how effective he would be at a round table discussion to bring credibility to the topic.

Right now, he is the only one bringing any credibility to the table. That is to say, he has made himself the face of the Christian Polygamy movement. These other guys as scholarly, and well written as they are, seem to be hiding their face from the public or at least are nowhere near as aggressive.

I think I'll reserve debate though until we actually have a lineup of men that needs to be weeded down. No, doubt if such an event were to manifest it would come down to the golden rule. Whoever puts up the gold will make the rules, and they won't even bother to ask me. Nevertheless, I think such a video, well-produced, could raise awareness to the point we could see those real and scholarly debates happen. Then perhaps polygamists could come out of the closet.

NeoPatriarch,

I would love to see this sort of thing happen. I think it is needed. My desire is to bring the greater Christian community into acceptance of plural marriage. It's easy for the church to ignore isolated cases of this issue when it comes up in their congregation. Putting out content like this would make it more difficult to ignore.

Tom Shipley is someone who would be a good person to have on the round table. He is the author of Man and Woman in Biblical Law.

I have some more in mind, but I'm not sure they would accept for various reasons.

I have some more in mind, but I'm not sure they would accept for various reasons

Think of it like a dream team. Make your best choice without worry. Reality, will sort out those details, should we get even close to realizing such an event.

Dream big!

Perhaps Lauren Heiligenthal author of "Evaluating Western Christianity’s Interpretation of Biblical Polygamy" .

Oh, that's a new name! I just went and bought her book. So is she a Christian advocate.

I do think it's important for people to hear female voices in our movement.

Back