• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

If Polygamy benefits men and harms women. . .

Doc

Real Person
If Polygamy benefits men and harms women, as is commonly assumed, why do predominantly male legislatures prohibit it? (this is a blog article....see link below)

Many people believe that consenting adults should be free to do as they please, provided they do not cause unacceptable harm to others. The difficult question, of course, is what constitutes unacceptable harm.The traditional argument against plural marriage is that it harms women, particularly young girls who may be coerced into such marriages. It is easy to see how some of these women may be harmed. In a monogamous world, for example, Barb's first choice might have been to marry Bill, who would also have chosen to marry her.But with plural marriage permissible, Bill might prefer to marry not just Barb but also Nicki and Margene. Barb would then have to choose between two lesser outcomes: a continued search for a monogamous partner or a plural marriage not to her liking. The mere fact that allowing plural marriage may eliminate attractive options for some women does not imply that it imposes unacceptable harm on women generally. Suppose, for example, that if polygamy were legal, 10 percent of adult men would take an average of three wives apiece and all remaining marriages would be monogamous. Among aspiring monogamists, there would then be nine men for every seven women. With an excess of men in the informal market for monogamous partners, the terms of exchange would shift in favor of women. Wives would change fewer diapers, and their parents might even escape paying for weddings. In short, the logic of supply and demand turns the conventional wisdom about plural marriage on its head. If the arrangement harms anyone, the more likely victims are men, not women.

This conclusion is reinforced if we take account of the costly, and mutually offsetting, jockeying for position associated with men's attempts to win the attention of scarce women.With women in chronically short supply, men would face even more intense pressure than they do now to get ahead economically and spend even longer hours honing their abs. More men would undergo cosmetic surgery. Expenditures on engagement rings would rise. Valentine's Day bouquets would be two dozen roses. Yet no matter how valiantly each man strove, the same number would be destined not to marry.

Find the page link here: http://www.dnaindia.com/blogs/post.php?postid=278

Well, brainwshing for one reason!

Also, it's the "sensitive guy" syndrome kicking in. Those legislators surely don't want their female constituents thinking they're barbaric woman-oppressors!

Katie

Plus they gotta keep peace at home -- which is easier if they legislate for monogamy and just have quiet affairs themselves.

Gosh, I hafta weigh in with Cecil (again! ;) ) on this one.

Never underestimate the power of The Legislature to lie, obfuscate, and mandate one thing for the proles, but the opposite for themselves -- and those other masters who are Above The Law.

duelingbanjos said:
If Polygamy benefits men and harms women, as is commonly assumed, why do predominantly male legislatures prohibit it? (this is a blog article....see link below)

Many people believe that consenting adults should be free to do as they please, provided they do not cause unacceptable harm to others. The difficult question, of course, is what constitutes unacceptable harm.The traditional argument against plural marriage is that it harms women, particularly young girls who may be coerced into such marriages. It is easy to see how some of these women may be harmed. In a monogamous world, for example, Barb's first choice might have been to marry Bill, who would also have chosen to marry her.But with plural marriage permissible, Bill might prefer to marry not just Barb but also Nicki and Margene. Barb would then have to choose between two lesser outcomes: a continued search for a monogamous partner or a plural marriage not to her liking. The mere fact that allowing plural marriage may eliminate attractive options for some women does not imply that it imposes unacceptable harm on women generally. Suppose, for example, that if polygamy were legal, 10 percent of adult men would take an average of three wives apiece and all remaining marriages would be monogamous. Among aspiring monogamists, there would then be nine men for every seven women. With an excess of men in the informal market for monogamous partners, the terms of exchange would shift in favor of women. Wives would change fewer diapers, and their parents might even escape paying for weddings. In short, the logic of supply and demand turns the conventional wisdom about plural marriage on its head. If the arrangement harms anyone, the more likely victims are men, not women.

This conclusion is reinforced if we take account of the costly, and mutually offsetting, jockeying for position associated with men's attempts to win the attention of scarce women.With women in chronically short supply, men would face even more intense pressure than they do now to get ahead economically and spend even longer hours honing their abs. More men would undergo cosmetic surgery. Expenditures on engagement rings would rise. Valentine's Day bouquets would be two dozen roses. Yet no matter how valiantly each man strove, the same number would be destined not to marry.

Find the page link here: http://www.dnaindia.com/blogs/post.php?postid=278

I understand that the blog you're quoting from takes a pro-polygamy stance, but one issue that's left out is that the author only makes reference to polygamy as commonly practiced by many in the FLDS. Not all polygamists practice polygamy in the way mentioned in the article, and hek, you don't even have to be an FLDS or Mormon to practice polygamy. Anyone can practice poly, from non-Mormon Christians to other religious affiliations to even no religion at all.

I've had the debate on YouTube and other places about the supply and demand of men and women in relation to polygamy. The only view I had to change was my former understanding of there being more women than men, but that however is not the case on a global scale. There are more men than women on a global scale so some skeptics of polygamy have used this point ardently, but I've responded to their objections by mentioning that relationship should not just be a factor of supply and demand, but also a factor of choice, and if you have some women out there who don't want any of the "single" guys and wants a married ones and yet legislators tell them "no", then wouldn't that be restricting who someone can love and be with? What if no one wants that surplus of "single" men that are left over are we to force women to be with them? Inevitably there will never be a time where there will be enough women for every man or vice-versa unless you keep the population between the genders equal, everywhere and all the time which is an unreasonable expectation. With the epidemic of "irresponsible so-called fathers" who abandon their baby-mamas after getting them pregnant, I think we should be looking at comparing the population of GOOD men vs women would leave women outnumber all of these good men by a large margin.

Women want polygyny. Only reason this isn't seen more is because of society.

Women want what other women want.

So, when a man has a wife he will be more attractive to other women because his wife wants him.

Yep, thats how it worked out when Leaden took Munster and allowed polygyny. Women want it. My wife wants it :)

I will do you one better:

What do you suppose the ratio of available Christian men VS available Christian women is?

Looking at any congregation on Sunday morning, I would say that the women outnumber the men.

Just a thought,

The rule that women want what other women want is universal.

I have used polygyny as example. I could for example use everything else.

This rule is second best predictor of human behavior I now.

RisingStar said:
The rule that women want what other women want is universal. ... This rule is second best predictor of human behavior I know.

Interesting. And the first?

CecilW said:
RisingStar said:
The rule that women want what other women want is universal. ... This rule is second best predictor of human behavior I know.

Interesting. And the first?

I call it Dominion Theory. It si based on:

1."God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it", Genesis 1:28
2. "And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him", Genesis 2:18

Since women is help meet it fall on man's back to fullfil multiplication of fruit and subduing earth.

So every man will as try to achieve next:

1. Have as much children as possible.

Often kings have eunuch whos job was to find when king's wifes will be fertile. When he thought one of wife was fertile she was send to king's bed.

2. Have as wifes as possible.

I don't trust man who claim he wants only one women.

One wife pregnant=adding (children)
Several wifes pregnant at the same time=multiplication

3. Own as much as possible

The ,ore you own more earth you have subdued. Also helps with points 1. and 2.
Big family=big needs.

4. Mastery in some type of work.

Very helpful for point 3. Also type subduing.

I'm certain Jesus could talk about this for months.

Success for man=success with women+success in career

If one part part on left side of equation isn't fullfiled man will feel something is missing in his life.

Back