• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Implications of Melchizedek

I'm not sure. In the Talmud Zedek is used in reference to the planet Jupiter and Salem is considered to be the site of the later Jerusalem. Before Joshua’s conquest of Jerusalem the king of that city bore the name Adonizedek, (Joshua 10:1,3), an indication of continuing Jupiter worship among the Jebusites. Philo of Byblos gave the Greek meaning of the name Zedek as "Righteousness",

EDIT: I am in no way saying that Melchizedek was a preist of Jupiter just that the word Zedek may be a hold over word with multiple meanings one being Jupiter.

Last edited:
Zedekiah's name was Mattanyahu before Nebuchadnezzar changed it to Tzidkiyahu. Meaning G-d my righteousness.

I’m not gonna have a lot of time initially to weigh in on this, but am planning to as I get the time shortly. This has become one of my favorite topics of study and one that I believe is woven throughout the pages of Scripture though in a way that requires a bit of knowledge and understanding before you can really identify it.

A couple of interesting references for now are found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Presumably preserved by the same Essenes mentioned earlier.
The Vision of Amram 4Q545 Frag. 2 Col.3
[. . . .r]ules over you [. . . ] [. . .] who is this one? He said to me, “Now this one [. . .] [. . . His name is] Malki-Resha (ruler of wickedness).” And I said, “My lord, what is the do[minion of . . .] [. . .] all his deeds are da[rk]ness, and he l[eads] into darkness [. . . ] [. . .] sees, and he rules over all darkness, while I [am Melchizedek . . .] [ . . .from the] height to the depths, I am ruler over all light and al[l . . .]

The Coming of Melchizedek 11Q13 is also a very interesting Dead Sea Scroll.

. . . . [the interpretation] is that it applies [to the L]ast Days and concerns the captives, just as [Isaiah said: “To proclaim the jubilee to the captives (Isa. 61:1) . . . ] and whose teachers have been hidden and kept secr[et], even from the inheritance of Melchizedek, f[or . . .] and they are the inherit[ance of Melchize]dek, who will return them to what is rightfully theirs. He will proclaim to them the jubilee, thereby releasing th[em from the debt of a]ll their sins.
This word [will thus co]me in the first week of the jubilee period that follows ni[ne j]ubilee periods. Then the “D[ay of Atone]ment shall follow at the e[nd of ] the tenth [ju]bilee period, when he shall atone for all the Sons of [Light] and the peopl[e who are pre]destined to Mel[chi]zedek. [. . .]upo[n the]m [. . .] For this is the time decreed for “the year of Melchiz[edek]’s favor” (Isa 61:2, modified) and for [his] hos[ts, together] with the holy ones of God, for a kingdom of judgment, just as it is written concerning him in the Songs of David, “A godlike being has taken his place in the coun[cil of God;] in the midst of the divine beings he holds judgment” (Ps 82:1) Scripture also s[ays] about him, “Over [it] take your seat in the highest heaven: A divine being will judge the peoples” (Ps 7:7-8).
Concerning what scripture s[ays, “How long will y]ou judge unjustly, and sh[ow] partiality to the wick[e]d? el[ah” (PS 82:2), ] the interpretation applies to Belial and the spirits predestined to him, becau[se all of them have rebe]lled, turn[ing] from God’s precepts [and so becoming utterly wicked.] Therefore Melchizedek will thoroughly prosecute the vengeance required by Go[d’s] statutes. [In that day he will de]liv[er them from the power] of Belial, and from the power of all the sp[irits predestined to him.] Allied with him will be all the [“righteous] divine beings” (Isa. 61:3) [Thi]s is that wh[ich . . .al]l the divine beings.
This vi[sitation] is the Day of [Salvation] that He has decreed [. . .through Isai]ah the prophet [concerning all the captives,] inasmuch as Scripture sa[ys, “How] beautiful upon the mountains are the fee[t of] the messenge[er] who [an]nounces peace, who brings [good] news, [who announces salvat]ion, who [sa]ys to Zion, ‘Your [di]vine being [reigns’” (Isa. 52:7).] This scripture’s interpretation: “the mountains” [are] the prophet[s,] they w[ho were sent to proclaim God’s truth and to] proph[esy] to all I[srael.]. And “the messenger” is the Anointed of the Spir[it,] of whom Dan[iel] spoke, [“After the sixty-two weeks, an Anointed One shall be cut off” (Dan 9:26). The “messenger who brings] good news, who announ[ces salvation”] is the one of whom it is wri[tt]en, [“to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, the day of vengeance of our God:] to comfort all who mourn” (Isa. 61:2). This scripture’s interpretation:] he is to inst[r]uct them about all the periods of history for eter[nity . . . And in the statutes of ] [the] truth. [. . .] [. . .dominion] that passes from Belial and ret[urns to the Sons of Light . . .] [. . . ] by the judgment of God, just as it is written concerning him, [“who says to Zi]on ‘Your divine being reigns’ “ (Isa. 52:7) [“Zi]on is [the congregation of all the sons of righteousness, who] uphold the covenant and turn from walking [in the way] of the people. “Your di[vi]ne being” is [Melchizedek, who will del]iv[er them from the po]wer of Belial
Concerning what Scripture says, “Then you shall have the trumpet [sounded loud in] all the land [of . . .” (Lev. 25:9, modified).]

Sorry for any inaccuracies. I attempted to type it just as it appears. The words inside the [] are blanks or decayed portions in the primary copy that are filled in from an additional copy or scroll.

But it shows the lasting useage if that name, doesn't it?
Zedekiah's name was Mattanyahu before Nebuchadnezzar changed it to Tzidkiyahu. Meaning G-d my righteousness.
Which means the name Zedek had a historic and lasting impact on that region.

I want to try and know more of why Melchizedek gets such a lofty position in NT.

Ah! Ok I get it now.

I think the reason is that the writer of Hebrews wants to show:

1. The Aaronic priesthood is not the be all, end all. God can and has raised up other orders of priests, Melchizedek being the prime example.

2. The reason for #1 is so important is because the writer of Hebrews wants us to know that Jesus is our High Priest and him being not of the order of Aaron (or the tribe of Levi) in no way disqualifies him.

3. Not only was #2 not a limitation, it is a superiority. The old order was "weak and useless" (Hebrews 7:10).

4. This is not an afterthought. It was a fulfillment of prophecy (Psalm 110).

Melichizedek is a mysterious and interesting character. There is not much canonical that we can know about him, but his real importance is not anything of himself, but rather as a foreshadowing of Jesus. The whole Bible from beginning to end is the story of God's love for us, and more specifically the story of Jesus.

Ah! Ok I get it now.

I think the reason is that the writer of Hebrews wants to show:

1. The Aaronic priesthood is not the be all, end all. God can and has raised up other orders of priests, Melchizedek being the prime example.

2. The reason for #1 is so important is because the writer of Hebrews wants us to know that Jesus is our High Priest and him being not of the order of Aaron (or the tribe of Levi) in no way disqualifies him.

3. Not only was #2 not a limitation, it is a superiority. The old order was "weak and useless" (Hebrews 7:10).

4. This is not an afterthought. It was a fulfillment of prophecy (Psalm 110).

Melichizedek is a mysterious and interesting character. There is not much canonical that we can know about him, but his real importance is not anything of himself, but rather as a foreshadowing of Jesus. The whole Bible from beginning to end is the story of God's love for us, and more specifically the story of Jesus.

Sure, this is the basic application and significance, but why throw in.....

3Without father, without mother, without descent, having neitherbeginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abidetha priest continually.
4Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarchAbraham gave the tenth of the spoils....

If he was just an illustration of a non Aaronic priesthood, why include this glowing, mystical reference? Noah offered sacrifices. Abraham offered sacrifices. They were the priests of their own families. They were not from Aaron.

This Melchizedek received tithes. He was described as great, and without a beginning or end....??? Say what???

I’m jumping ahead in the thread here with a bit of my own conclusions. There is a big difference between THE Melchizedek and the earthly representative or shadow of the Melchizedek. Just as Jesus Christ is THE Lamb that takes away the sin of the whole world, other lambs were slain yearly as a picture or type. Jesus Christ is THE Melchizedek. The first and only Melchizedek. From Seth on down to Levi, there was always a man who was the type of Melchizedek. This man would be the one who was looked to for instruction in righteousness. I have also seen multiple references to a book or group of prophetic writings or instructions that would be handed down, not from father to oldest son, but from Melchizedek to Melchizedek. Somewhere I’ve got a source that lists the men in order from Seth to Levi. I’ll see if I can find it again.

The Melchizedek priesthood is closely tied to the Kinsman Redeemer or Patriarch of the family, I believe. Job is a great example of a Patriarch who sacrifices and performs under the Melchizedek pattern. He is both a king and priest over his own family and by the end of the book, he is even sacrificing for the unrighteous men that God has given him influence over. If you follow the story of the Exodus there is a reason that God spared the firstborn males. They were to be separated to God for his service. In Exodus 19, God tells Moses that the entire nation would be a peculiar nation of kings and priests. (From what I understand, God was re-instituting a Melchizedek type priesthood). It is only after the orgy and the golden calf that this changes and because the Levites answered Moses’ call to begin killing, God substitutes them for the firstborn to be priests before him, but not kings. Both the priesthood and kingship become substitutionary until such a time as one like Moses would come. The Maccabees became self proclaimed Kings and priests for a time but they kind of jumped the gun on that one by about 170 years.

When Jesus Christ came on the scene, He was THE Melchizedek who was in the beginning with God, who created all things and by whom all things consist, and He became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld HIS glory, the glory as of the “only begotten” of the Father. THE King and The High Priest of the entire universe had come in the fullness of time to perform his role as Kinsman Redeemer and the Saviour of the World. The substitutionary priests and kings were a type of steward for people who had proven that they could not be trusted to follow God on their own without guidance . . . Until The Melchizedek would come who would lead and guide us into all truth.

This is why we are to call no man Pater but God. The newly re-instituted priesthood under Christ was to follow a pattern where each man was king and priest over his own family. These king/priests were to assemble with other king/priests to study and learn and share that knowledge without attempting to coerce a headship over other king/priests around them. That headship belongs solely to The Melchizedek, Christ.

In a recap, the Melchizedek order originates in Christ before creation, its pattern is utilized and well known to the biblical patriarchs until Jacob. Under Jacob, the birthright is split. Judah gets the kingdom and Levi becomes the priest. After a couple hundred years in captivity, the order and format or custom is basically unknown. God then brings out this chosen people, along with a mixed multitude, and begins to re-institute this order at Sinai/Horeb. Because of the sin of the people, God changes it to a substitutionary priesthood for an ordained period of time till the Messiah is scheduled to come. (Even within this period, there are notable exceptions to this substitution, Samuel, David, Solomon to name a few who act at times suspiciously like the Melchizedek order.) Once He comes, there’s no more need for a substitute when the real McCoy is present. The substitutionary priesthood and its system are subsequently done away with. IMHO, this only includes the Levitical and related religious aspects, not the civil or moral parts of the law.
One of the most telling historical snafu’s is when the RCC attempts to reverse engineer a Levitical style priesthood during a Melchizedek priesthood era.
At some point in the future, no doubt the Kohanim will serve again, but IMO it will be under a Melchizedek style priesthood.

Hope this sheds some light. I’ll work on getting some source materials listed and fleshing this out a bit later.
Peace, love and all the fuzzy stuff

I look forward to your citations. I also appreciate your response.

I agree that Melchizedek can be a typology, but the reference e in Hebrews suggests that it is using THE Melchizedek as the typology, and issues citations regarding his origins ( or lack therof).

When Hebrews explains the importance of faith, it issues the list of famous demonstrations of faith. Melchizedek is the only example of the unique type because he, himself was unique.

I think it's more than typology, but will wait to see you flesh this out.

This is why we are to call no man Pater but God. The newly re-instituted priesthood under Christ was to follow a pattern where each man was king and priest over his own family. These king/priests were to assemble with other king/priests to study and learn and share that knowledge without attempting to coerce a headship over other king/priests around them. That headship belongs solely to The Melchizedek, Christ.

Good thought.

Fun fact: I considered using "Melchizedek" as my user name when I signed upon the forums here (an ancient, mysterious, righteous king? What's not to love about that?). But then I remembered some people believe he was a Theophany (and while I don't believe that, I can't disprove it). I didn't want people to be offended by my user name, or think I was being blasphemous, so I decided to just go with a Biblical nonsense word instead.

Here’s an excerpt from Jasher 16

And Abram heard this, and he rose up with about three hundred and eighteen men that were with him, and he that night pursued these kings and smote them, and they all fell before Abram and his men, and there was none remaining but the four kings who fled, and they went each his own road.

8 And Abram recovered all the property of Sodom, and he also recovered Lot and his property, his wives and little ones and all belonging to him, so that Lot lacked nothing.

9 And when he returned from smiting these kings, he and his men passed the valley of Siddim where the kings had made war together.

10 And Bera king of Sodom, and the rest of his men that were with him, went out from the lime pits into which they had fallen, to meet Abram and his men.

11 And Adonizedek king of Jerusalem, the same was Shem, went out with his men to meet Abram and his people, with bread and wine, and they remained together in the valley of Melech.

12 And Adonizedek blessed Abram, and Abram gave him a tenth from all that he had brought from the spoil of his enemies, for Adonizedek was a priest before God.

From Jubilees/Little Genesis 13. (Complete with commentary by the publishers/translators)

And in this year came Chedorlaomer, king of Elam, and Amraphel, king of Shinar, and Arioch, king of Sêllâsar [note: MT Ellasar.] and Têrgâl, [note: MT Tidal (for form here cf. LXX Θαργάλ).] king of nations, and slew the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Sodom fled, and many fell through wounds in the vale of Siddim, by the Salt Sea. 23. And they took captive Sodom and Adam [note: i. e. Admah.] and Zeboim, and they took captive Lot also, the son of Abram's brother, and all his possessions, and they went to Dan. [note: Cf. Gen. xiv. 14.] 24. And one who had escaped came and told Abram that his brother's son had been taken captive and (Abram) armed [note: R.V. "led forth"; the rendering "armed" has the support of the Targum Onkelos.] his household servants. 25 . . . . . . . . . . . . . for Abram, and for his seed, a

tenth of the first-fruits to the Lord, [note: Charles suspects a lacuna at the beginning of 25. It no doubt contained an account of the pursuit of the kings and told of Melchizedek (cf. Gen. xiv. 15-20). That Abraham should have given tithes to Melchizedek (who was uncircumcised) was a difficulty to later Jews (cf. Justin, Trypho xix.). One way of overcoming it was to identify Melchizedek with Shem.] and the Lord ordained it as an ordinance for ever that they should give it to the priests who served before Him, that they should possess it for ever. [note: The law about tithes is made to apply for the Levitical priesthood; cf. xxxii. 15.] 26. And to this law there is no limit of days; for He hath ordained it for the generations for ever that they should give to the Lord the tenth of everything, of the seed and of the wine and of the oil and of the cattle and of the sheep. 27. And He gave (it) unto His priests to eat and to drink with joy before Him. 28. And the king of Sodom came to him and bowed himself before him, and said: "Our Lord Abram, give unto us the souls which thou hast rescued, but let the booty be thine." 29. And Abram said unto him: "I lift up my hands to the Most High God, that from a thread to a shoe-latchet I shall not take aught that is thine, lest thou shouldst say I have made Abram rich; save only what the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men who went with me--Aner, Eschol, and Mamre. These will take their portion." [note: For 28-29 cf. Gen. xiv. 21-24.]

Justin Martyr's Discourse with Trypho
CHAPTER XXXIII -- PS, CX. IS NOT SPOKEN OF HEZEKIAH. HE PROVES THAT CHRIST WAS FIRST HUMBLE, THEN SHALL BE GLORIOUS.
"And," I continued, "I am not ignorant that you venture to expound this psalm as if it referred to king Hezekiah; but that you arc mistaken, I shall prove to you from these very words forthwith. 'The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent,' it is said; and, 'Thou art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchizedek,' with what follows and precedes. Not even you will venture to object that Hezekiah was either a priest, or is the everlasting priest of God; but that this is spoken of our Jesus, these expressions show. But your ears are shut up, and your hearts are made dull. For by this statement, 'The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent: Thou art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchizedek,' with an oath God has shown Him (on account of your unbelief) to be the High Priest after the order of Melchizedek; i.e., as Melchizedek was described by Moses as the priest of the Most High, and he was a priest of those who were in uncircumcision, and blessed the circumcised Abraham who brought him tithes, so God has shown that His everlasting Priest, called also by the Hold Spirit Lord, would be Priest of those in uncircumcision. Those too in circumcision who approach Him, that is, believing Him and seeking blessings from Him, He will both receive and bless. And that He shall be first humble as a man, and then exalted, these words at the end of the Psalm show: 'He shall drink of the brook in the way,' and then, 'Therefore shall He lift up the head.'

Since circumcision was the sign of the covenant originating in Abram, it stands to reason that all of the Melchizedek types pre Abram would have been serving in uncircumcision.

Josephus’ account of this incident Antiq. Of the Jews 1.10.2

So Abram, when he had saved the captive Sodomites who had been taken by the Assyrians, and Lot also, his kinsman, returned home in peace. Now the king of Sodom met him at a certain place, which they called The Kings Plain, where Melchizedek, king of the city Salem received him. That name signifies the righteous king; and as such he was without dispute, insomuch that on this account, he was made the priest of God: however they afterward called Salem Jerusalem. Now this Melchizedek supplied Abram’s army in an hospitable manner, and gave them provisions in abundance; and as they were feasting he began to praise him, and to bless God for subduing his enemies under him. And when Abram gave him the tenth part of his prey, he accepted of the gift:

Joshua 10:1 Now it came to pass, when Adonizedek king of Jerusalem had heard how Joshua had taken Ai, and had utterly destroyed it; as he had done to Jericho and her king, so he had done to Ai and her king; and how the inhabitants of Gibeon had made peace with Israel, and were among them;

Here is another reference to the king of Salem being known as Adonizedek. This would be close to 500 years after the meeting of Abraham with Melchizedek, king of Salem. I believe that by this point, the name Adonizedek was a positional title for the king of Salem, much as Pharoah or Ceasar or Ptolemy became a positional title. Obviously, by this point, Shem and Eber as well as Levi have all passed leading me to believe that this is just used as a traditional title rather than the original intent of a King and Priest of God.

It’s also interesting to me that as the Levitical Priesthood is entering Caanan, that the symbol (as imperfect as it is at this time) of the Melchizedek order is killed, hung on a tree and hurriedly buried in a cave. Is it too much to believe that when The Melchizedek returns to assume his rightful position, that he too is hung on a tree, killed and hurriedly buried in a cave by this same substitutionary priestly order, only to rise from the dead physically, spiritually as well as figuratively and put away this same substitutionary priesthood? In Exodus and Numbers the firstborn replaced by the Levites, in the Gospels the Levites replaced by the Firstborn.

Here’s another interesting snippet from Jasher. I’ve noticed that at different times in the life of Isaac that Shem and Eber are noted as being present roughly around chapters 20-25. Here, Rebekah is seeking advice during her pregnancy with Jacob and Esau.

And she said unto them, Why am I alone in this amongst all the women that were upon earth? and she went to the land of Moriah to seek the Lord on account of this; and she went to Shem and Eber his son to make inquiries of them in this matter, and that they should seek the Lord in this thing respecting her.

11 And she also asked Abraham to seek and inquire of the Lord about all that had befallen her.

12 And they all inquired of the Lord concerning this matter, and they brought her word from the Lord and told her, Two children are in thy womb, and two nations shall rise from them; and one nation shall be stronger than the other, and the greater shall serve the younger.

The association of Shem and Eber with Moriah is interesting to me as Moriah is associated with Jerusalem

Jasher 36

And it was after the death of Rachel, that Jacob pitched his tent in the tent of her handmaid Bilhah.

14 And Reuben was jealous for his mother Leah on account of this, and he was filled with anger, and he rose up in his anger and went and entered the tent of Bilhah and he thence removed his father's bed.

15 At that time the portion of birthright, together with the kingly and priestly offices, was removed from the sons of Reuben, for he had profaned his father's bed, and the birthright was given unto Joseph, the kingly office to Judah, and the priesthood unto Levi, because Reuben had defiled his father's bed.

Jasher 36

And it was after the death of Rachel, that Jacob pitched his tent in the tent of her handmaid Bilhah.

14 And Reuben was jealous for his mother Leah on account of this, and he was filled with anger, and he rose up in his anger and went and entered the tent of Bilhah and he thence removed his father's bed.

15 At that time the portion of birthright, together with the kingly and priestly offices, was removed from the sons of Reuben, for he had profaned his father's bed, and the birthright was given unto Joseph, the kingly office to Judah, and the priesthood unto Levi, because Reuben had defiled his father's bed.

Doesn't there end up being a timeline problem there? I thought Joseph and Benjamin were the youngest two sons. As Bilhah not one of the servants Abraham had sons with?

Doesn't there end up being a timeline problem there? I thought Joseph and Benjamin were the youngest two sons. As Bilhah not one of the servants Abraham had sons with?
No. Bilhah was Rachel’s handmaiden and the mother of several of Jacobs children. She was the one that Reuben lost the birthright for sleeping with her

Back