• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

In need of prayer and guidance moving forward.

Sarahwhispers32

Hello everyone,
I do not know how far I actually want to go into detail at this point because I do not know how my boyfriend/ husband would appreciate it. There are a few things I would like to put out there though to help ME through this difficult time.

To start I should give you should give some background information. First, I have been with my boyfriend only since the end of August. I have to say I already feel like I have been through a life time of issues in this short time. For those of you that may remember me, this is Jenna. I was on this site at the end of the year last year up until about March. Okay, so since meeting Josh, I have to say my protected little world I have been living in for the last 3 years came to a complete halt. He and I meet by chance and that was it for me. I have not looked at or even felt any need to look at another man. The first couple of weeks I had to deal with ex girlfriends and even times when I knew he was out doing things with other women. I let it go because I wanted to show him that I am not the kind of woman to start something and not finish it. Meaning, every person in his 35 years has done nothing but leave, walk away, only care when they need something, and never support him when he has tried to clean his life up. So we got through that rough patch with smiles on our faces and thank fully my children were not too involved because my younger son was in a boarding school at the time and my other son was only here on weekends.

On those weekends we not only had my children but we had his as well and became an instant family, but still, at this point everything was very new to Josh. I have had my fair share of not being a good woman, not being understanding, overreacting, and just mean in past relationships, but for some reason unknowing to me at this point I feel compelled to try something different.

Okay, so since we have been together Josh has hit me three times pretty bad. This is nothing new for him, this has been his way for many years. Since the last time this has happened, we have seen a doctor and he has been put on an antidepressant which for him is something he has always refused to do in the past. He has been very good about taking every night without me reminding him to do so. He has confessed to the doctor what he has done and in my opinion genuinely feels guilty for doing what he did to me.

The next part of this story is about our children. His three children just moved to Arizona with their mother which was a very hard decision for him to make. We are in Pennsylvania so you can imagine how hard that decision was for him. The same day we drove to go say our goodbyes to them before they leave is the same day we got the call from my son's, Nicholas', school telling me that he attempted to hang himself in the student home bathroom. Nicholas is 11 years old with a passion for life and an innocence that most can not even compare to. So this news was a complete surprise. Josh and I were on our way home from seeing his kids when we got the call and he immediately took control of the situation and he drove me to the school to see Nick. On the way, Josh puts his foot down and says, that's it, Nick is coming home and I am going to be his father! That night we had to leave Nick behind because the school wanted him to go to the hospital to make sure he was not going to try and hurt himself again. We came home and Josh stayed up and prepared Nick's room for his homecoming. To my surprise Nicholas asks me if he is allowed to call Josh Dad. And without even a thought I said yes. Nick started school here at our home town and is doing very well and everything at home has been working very well. Until yesterday when I received a text message from a young girl telling me she is pregnant with Josh's baby.

So I called this young girl and reassured her that everything would be okay. The hard part about this is that he slept with her only a month ago and it only happened one time. I am whole heartily sure that this is the last time Josh has stepped out on me but was not going to tell me about it because he finally realized that I am not going anywhere and this is the life that he wants to lead - with me and our children. Together in our home he is my husband and I am his wife. I am unable to marry him right this second because we are having a hard time coming up with the money to get my divorce from my ex husband. Yes, Josh and I have been living together since literally day one and I know how all of you must think about that, but everything just feels right to me. So, for now I am dealing with this in a manor I am not familiar with in myself. I did not freak out, I did not yell or start any blaming. I simply told this girl that she will need to come to the house and that we all need to figure out what to do next. I am not even sure that this is Josh's baby because she did have a boyfriend as well who is no longer in the picture. I don't know if this is a desperate girl looking for help or wants Josh for herself, but I was very clear that I was not leaving him and that she can never try and pursue Josh again. I made her aware that I am a believer in Men doing the right thing and that I believe in plural marriage but this is not the way to go about it. So here is my thinking at this point. I am not going to allow this woman to see Josh without me, and wait until a test can be done to prove that Josh is the father. Josh does not even want to consider having another woman in our lives at this point. He feels very strongly that we are to have each other.

So the prayers I need are this: for me to be strong enough to get through this "gracefully" as Cecil says. Prayers for Josh to realize he can tell me anything and I am his best friend. Prayers for this young woman to get through this and the baby stays healthy. Prayers for my children because they are going to have a very hard time excepting this. Prayers for Josh and I's continued success in getting through things and being good parents that Nicholas needs. And anything else I may have missed. Oh and any comments or scriptures I can read would be very helpful.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Jenna

We're praying for you folks, too, Jenna.

Cecil

Hi Jenna,
I stand in awe of your strength, courage and willingness to find God's will in this crisis. I will gladly pray for you and your family.

I was wondering if Josh is in a position that he might be open to finding a godly mentor. A man that is willing to be patient with his missteps but also one who will hold him accountable to be honest with you and himself at every step.

I've known so many men who have made the same errors in their lives and almost gave up. Only love, patience and prayer in great measures of each were able to turn the tide. Constant, open and honest communication is the biggest key to making things work for all parties involved. It also requires a humble and willing spirit to be taught and be held accountable.

During this process of growth, you need to plan for periods when the enemy is in full attack mode and have a few safety nets in place. The first and biggest issue is for personal safety of both you and your children. Anger management courses are available at little to no cost in most cities. There, he can learn to recognize his triggers and better identify other, less obvious emotions that often work in the background and feed into the anger.

Have a safe place for you and the kids to go to when either of you start to recognize that his triggers are in danger of being pulled. Rage is driven by hate and love is the strongest antidote, but in hand to hand combat, you are best off to parry and dodge to tire your enemy out and then strike hard, rather than to put up a full frontal assault. Being a doormat or a punching bag is not an option. Leave until the anger cools and then rejoin one another with love and compassion.

Men were wired to be warriors and as such, we are equipped with a hormonal system prone to action. Satan loves to twist the gifts of God and this is no exception. Anger and rage can literally act like a chemical drug addiction. The body actually gets a "Rush" from the hormones that are released in a rage. The body also goes through withdrawals and a person can feel "agitated" and generally "uneasy" at times because there is nothing to stimulate a hormone release, so the body creates the conditions that might allow it to get it's "fix". Activities that allow for minor releases of these hormones at regular intervals (i.e. something physical like sports or running...NOT video games which only engage the mind) on a daily basis can minimize this effect.

As to the situation with the other young lady, I highly suggest beginning a counseling relationship with a BF staff member and stay in constant prayer.
May God protect you in this struggle and bless you in your perseverance.

-Will

Will-
that was very informative. I do not have a lot of time to write right now but thank you to all.

Jenna

Okay so Josh is in anger management. I don't really know if that actually works for him. I do believe that I have found out what his triggers are. I would love for Josh to have a mentor but I think someone will have to contact him first. I really don't see him making the first move. And this woman, well like I said we don't know if she is telling the truth yet. We are going to her doctors apt. Together so that should be interesting. I don't know, I guess maybe this isn't the right time to talk because I am feeling very down right now.

Jenna, You have been on my mind. I promise I will pray for your family. Please don't get down. You
are a very strong woman. remember the present time has enough for us to deal with and tomorrow will
be handled when it becomes the present. If I can help you or pray with you just use pm and I will
answer promptly dede

Prayers from Korea going up as well.

There is no problem too big, God can not solve it.
There is no mountain so tall, He can not move it.
If He carried the weight of the world,
Upon His shoulders
I know, my sister, that He
Will carry YOU!

Doc

Jenna, you're making it sound like you're so old and she's so young! Come on. *grin*

Anyway, folks, Jenna asked me to post that the younger lady is coming over for dinner tonight, and she (Jenna) would appreciate prayer support.

Personally, would NOT wanna be Josh this evening ...

Cecil,
Josh is actually doing very well at this point. And, I think so am I. It is all a bit "unusual" but we are getting by and making plans to do it again next week. I will post more in a little while.

Jenna

That is great news! Take things slow, you don't get any extra points for going fast! Be sure to communicate your feelings, both good and bad. Don't let things bottle up and then explode later.

Blessings

Doc

Hey Doc,
No, I am not moving too fast at all. I did make myself very clear last night on how I was feeling. Maybe it is wrong, but I made myself very clear that neither of them were to per sue each other until we know for sure that this baby is Josh's or not. Josh does not even want to think about PM right now. I am just trying to be nice and make sure Nicole has what she needs and knows that she isn't alone in this. I gave her this website to take a look at and hopefully she will join so we can all get the correct advice.

Josh did contact someone from here last night and it surprised me. I think he is realizing that we don't have to go through everything alone. That there can be someone to talk to and ask questions. He surprises me more and more everyday. Even though he is putting me in some pretty bad situations, I do feel very blessed to have him in our lives.

Jenna

Well, it seems like the harder Josh and I try, the more everyone around us is trying to bring us down. Josh's boss is spreading rumors about him and Nichole at work to the girls he is in charge of. Nichole is being very good about everything. She is not over stepping her bounds and has changed talking to Josh to talking directly to me about things. Now yes, had he not done what he did none of this would be going on, but I don't know how much more he can take. I know he is so confused by me right now and how I am handling all of this and does not know how to respond or even share how he is really feeling with me. He just looks so sad. He tries to smile for me and still interacts with me as usual but the guy just needs some uplifting that I apparently can not give him. Also, his boss is female and secretly wants to be with Josh so every time she sees me now she talks really bad about me to the girls he works with and manages. So this is also putting adding stress on him. I just wish I could take his pain away and he could just be happy. Tomorrow we will find out if he looses his job or not because his boss is telling lies and blaming things on him because she can. But I do know that Nichole and another woman are going to stand up for Josh because his boss is in the wrong. I am praying that she will be out and Josh will take her place as it should have been in the first place.

My mother is beating me down over Josh because of his past. I just want to block the world out and stay in my comfy home with my family forever. :mrgreen:

Sarahwhispers32 said:
Well, it seems like the harder Josh and I try, the more everyone around us is trying to bring us down. Josh's boss is spreading rumors about him and Nichole at work to the girls he is in charge of. Nichole is being very good about everything. She is not over stepping her bounds and has changed talking to Josh to talking directly to me about things. Now yes, had he not done what he did none of this would be going on, but I don't know how much more he can take. I know he is so confused by me right now and how I am handling all of this and does not know how to respond or even share how he is really feeling with me. He just looks so sad. He tries to smile for me and still interacts with me as usual but the guy just needs some uplifting that I apparently can not give him. Also, his boss is female and secretly wants to be with Josh so every time she sees me now she talks really bad about me to the girls he works with and manages. So this is also putting adding stress on him. I just wish I could take his pain away and he could just be happy. Tomorrow we will find out if he looses his job or not because his boss is telling lies and blaming things on him because she can. But I do know that Nichole and another woman are going to stand up for Josh because his boss is in the wrong. I am praying that she will be out and Josh will take her place as it should have been in the first place.

My mother is beating me down over Josh because of his past. I just want to block the world out and stay in my comfy home with my family forever. :mrgreen:

There are somethings that I can relate to about what is going on with you, so I can empathize. Keep God in your heart!!! Remember though, we are each responsible for our own actions and reactions. Josh may be sad, or stressed, or in pain that is normal, but as supportive as you can be, only he can lift himself up in life and to God. From a legal standpoint, however, if a superior is indeed spreading rumors and innuendos, regardless of the circumstance, that could be harassment. Is there a main Human Resources for him to go to or anything??? I mean that could help.

Jen M

I was just thinking the same thing, Jen. If he is being harassed, then he should consider filing a formal complaint. These companies today are scared to death of anything that smacks of harssment.

Doc

Sorry for the late reply, just read your original post. Wow! You are showing some amazing character, I take my hat off to you. My prayers will certainly be with you. I pray that God will show you his plan for things. Thankfully God ALWAYS has a plan and a good one for that matter. That doesn't mean it is an easy plan to walk thru but it will eventually bring the good that it needs to. Praying for Josh to be the man that he needs to be and sounds like, the one he wants to be.

With hope for the future, Julieb

DocInKorea said:
I was just thinking the same thing, Jen. If he is being harassed, then he should consider filing a formal complaint. These companies today are scared to death of anything that smacks of harssment.

Doc

I know Doc, they do not like things like that, especially given the nature of the harassment. If he was a woman, I hate to say, and his boss was a man, it wouldn't happen or they would think they couldn't get away with it. Since it is the opposite though they are not thinking that way. It's a reverse thing!!!

Jen M

I do not quite know how to quote everyone so this is just a all around note. Thank you Julieb. Anyway, there is another update on the harassment thing. Yes it is harassment but also now it is sexual harassment. last week his boss grabbed his privates and did so in front of another employee. Thankfully he responded appropriately instead of just brushing it off. He yelled at her and asked her what she thought she was doing. So this morning I took matters into my own hands and went and spoke directly with the GM. Although she could not really discuss what was going to happen, it did open the door up for her to speak to Josh about it. Yesterday, Josh also told another boss, male, and thought he would be telling him in confidence, but the good thing is, this boss actually takes his job seriously and told Josh that he had a day to tell the GM or he would have to report it himself. I am still waiting to hear from Josh about the meeting he is having today. I am nervous but for some reason I have a very calm outlook right now.

I am not a person that openly speaks about how I feel about God to many people. Especially any boyfriends I have ever had. This morning on our way to work- we drive together- out of no where I just blurted out, Josh, if you have true faith in God he will get us through this no matter what the out come will be. Now I got that line from someone else last night, but wow, what a difference it made to verbally say it out load to him.

On a lighter note, more happy note:
Josh completed his last anger management class last night. The counselors there already knew about Josh and Nicole before me and I happen to call her by accident one day looking for counseling for us. So I knew Josh was going to have to talk about all of this with them. I thought he would come out in a bad mood but that man keeps surprising me every day. I said yesterday that he has a hard time expressing his real feelings to me, well last night everything came out. Everything I have been so wanting to hear was said. He made it very clear to me that he was not ever going to leave me or my son. That he is going to continue on with one on one counseling so that he can be the man I need him to be. I asked him if I were in the way right now and if he needed me to step back so he could work on himself in his own time and his response was... absolutely not! He looked at me point blank in the eyes and said " You are what helps to make me want to change, the person that you are and how you are handling this entire event, I can't imagine even being with anyone else." He then made a little joke about if I were to ever cheat on him that that would be it. He would never trust another woman again! Apparently I am the first. Like I am not used to this at all. I would never even give it a second thought, cheating, what is that? Well now I know because I can't ever remember a time before this that I have ever been cheated on. And, we also received his insurance card last night. I have been working on this for two months because he has a brain tumor along with many other complications. The man's face lit up. He has never in his life had health insurance. So even though we have rough patches, good things are also coming our way.

Thank you all so much for your time and reading and allowing me to get all of this off my chest with you. And the prayers- they are working. :D Jenna

That's what we are here for....just be here for us when we need you LOL!

Blessings

Doc

At this point, I have no intentions of leaving. If it's in prayer, I am here 100%, in responses- well, I am not sure I would know what to say too much because I am not as well versed as the rest of you. :D

Back