• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Inadvertent Idol Worship

Maddog

Male
"Thou shalt not have any other gods before me"
I began to watch a video about what is modern idol worship and quickly started to question. Can a person inadvertently or accidentally worship idols or must it involve the volition to raise something up in place of God, pray to it and expect answered prayer? I am concerned that the most pure pharisees among us make an even stricter rule regarding what really is an idol. I never have and hopefully never will pray to my employer but I do receive compensation for my labor and the boss holds a very high place in my life. So my boat and my RV and my property are idols because I really like them? Is going fishing at 10 am on a sunday (instead of being in church) really idolatry? Is the Law of God so incomplete that we have to add more criteria to the "Thou shalt..." and "Thou shalt not..."?

I wonder about this too. I've heard that anything you put above God is an idol, which means anything that keeps you busy instead of praying/reading the bible etc. Which would mean dealing with the kids and doing housework are now idols, but they're what God wants me doing so....
I've always felt like an idol is literally an idol. Like a statue of another god that you pray to.
And while I think that we do need to be careful about things that distract us from God, I do not think that watching tv sometimes makes it an idol.
Idol worship is something seriously condemned in the bible, it is not something to mess with, and I don't think you can do it accidentally.

Nice questions.
I’m just going to step straight into the cowpie with a splash.

I would contend with anything that is a substitute for, or has more importance in your life than, your relationship with Yah is an idol. For many people, their actual church takes this position.

Agreed with @steve. I thank God for my job/income. He is the provider. If my job were to force me to choose between my conviction regarding Shabbat and my paycheck, I'd hit the door. That's evidence that the job is not an idol.

I have long observed that too many people worship Baal.

Soccer baal, basebaal, footbaal, basketbaal, etc.
Nice one 😆

Back