• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

India Polygamy > Woman gets disqualified for judge post

JustAGuy

Male
"33-year-old Radharani Mahadev Kolamb challenged her disqualification in the High Court of Karnataka, but the court refused to buy her argument that the rule was discriminatory. Dismissing her petition, Justice Gowda in his judgment, a copy of which is with Bangalore Mirror, stated, 'Polygamy brings with it misery, plight and ignominy to a woman. The Hindu Marriage Act nullifies and supersedes the practice of polygamy and hypergamy all over the country among the Hindus. The Rule 5(2) in question is also intended to achieve the laudable object of monogamy.' Hypergamy refers to the practice of marrying a person of higher caste or status than oneself. Justice Gowda's verdict cites a 1995 judgment of the Supreme Court [source?]. 'The Apex Court has judicially noticed it being acclaimed in the United States of America that the practice of polygamy is injurious to 'public morals', even though some religions may make it obligatory or desirable for its followers.'" - The Bangalore Mirror, cover story, Oct 17, 2013, By Shyam Prasad S & Atul Chaturvedi

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/bang...fied-for-judges-post/articleshow/24267501.cms

dang,
in addition to my crimes of injury to public morals, I find out that I am a hypergamist? :eek:

I think they need to arrest that Princess Kate of Engerland! :p

BTW, I can't find any 1995 American "public morals" Supreme Court case. There's a 1948 case (MUSSER vs STATE OF UTAH).... Whatever...

Hypergamy = make sure everyone stays in their own caste. We wouldn't want anyone getting ahead now would we? For shame! You should be ashamed of yourself Steve for being a dirty hypergamist! How dare you marry outside your economic and spiritual caste! Bloom where you're planted, dang it. Don't you know we couldn't control society if people married whoever they wanted?! It would be anarchy. People are like stupid cows. We must control them.

JustAGuy said:
can't find any...American...Supreme Court case
The article isn't about the U.S., it's about India. Authors, publisher, and primary audience are in India.

Funny that public acclaim in the U.S. for a certain notion would be given such weight over there, but that's the way it is.

JustAGuy said:
Hypergamy = make sure everyone stays in their own caste. We wouldn't want anyone getting ahead now would we? For shame! You should be ashamed of yourself...
And yet they're the ones with a living tradition of polygamy, the thing we seek.

Back